Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Um. There is no name mentioned, no town, no state, no name of the clinic. I hardly think any HIPAA rules are being violated by the anonymous poster writing vaguely about an anonymous patient, LOL.
Before I posted that I asked someone who, trust me, knows the HIPAA laws like the back of his hand. He said the law boils down to "Thou shalt not gossip about your patients."

Personally, I would not be thrilled if the person who is, apparently, transcribing my child's medical information used him as an example on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Before I posted that I asked someone who, trust me, knows the HIPAA laws like the back of his hand. He said the law boils down to "Thou shalt not gossip about your patients."

Personally, I would not be thrilled if the person who is, apparently, transcribing my child's medical information used him as an example on the internet. If you are, that is your prerogative.
Are you losing your mind? What medical information have i posted here? What names have I used?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I would go with my son until he is 16. Younger than that the kids are confused.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I would go with my son until he is 16. Younger than that the kids are confused.
I wouldn't say so, I wouldn't go in the room if the child ask me not to, I'm talking about the physical examination.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Are you losing your mind?
Next time, think about posting it as a hypothetical situation. That's all. Just something you might want to think about. And, no, the neurons are still firing. Thanks.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-25-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I stay in the room until the doc mentions the private parts exam, and he asks the boys if they want me to leave. I step outside, it takes about 30 seconds, then I go back in.

They need to learn that it is their bodies and they have a say in their care.

What really has gotten out of control in our area is dentists who won't let parents come back at first with kids as young as 5-7.

When we changed dentists years ago, they called my youngest son in, who was 5 at the time, and I stood up to go back with him. The assistant said in a sing-song voice, "Mom, we'll ask you to wait here until I come to get you!"

I said, You mean I don't go back with him? And she said, "It's our policy to have the parents wait outside until after the cleaning is over."

I said, "Well, he's only 5 and I'm his advocate, and it's my policy to go with him." I just walked back with them and sat on a chair off to the side. Of course, it seemed like the other hygienists kept giving me the bad look the whole time but I did not care.

My mom always worked in dentistry for my entire life, and I know for a fact that they cannot keep me out when my minor child is getting care (unless it's surgery). I guess some parents may get too involved in the process, but I am not one of those parents, and my kid is not a kid that throws a fit in the dental chair.

Older kids need a say; young kids need a parent's presence, even if just to answer questions the kids don't know how to answer.
I know.. When we first moved to this area, I was surprised the 1st time I took them to the pediatric dentist here. The hygentist informed me that the parents should stay in the waiting room & if there was an issue, they would come to get me.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I wouldn't say so, I wouldn't go in the room if the child ask me not to, I'm talking about the physical examination.
Do you have kids??

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you have kids??

Not yet, but i'm planning on it.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM

399 posts, read 705,202 times
I think a same sex parent should be in the same office as where they do the examination. You can close the curtain and parent can stay on other side of curtain. This will prevent doctors from sexually abusing children. I know of this happening where the same sex parent didn't go in with her daughter and the daughter was being sexually abused and neither the daughter knew or the mother. Mother found out years later and so did the daughter when daughter got older and finally went to a real ob/gyn and saw how proper exams are done. Just my thought.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Next time, think about posting it as a hypothetical situation. That's all. And, no, the neurons are still firing. Thanks.
This situation is not violating anything at all.
No name
No address
City
State

I just said a mom and a son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting