Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times

Advertisements

First time parents tend to carry around far more than they need because they just don't know yet what they will actually use.
Having the right vehicle is different for everyone. As mentioned you have to consider storage space and interior space, however you also must factor in safety and comfort.

Things to take into consideration:
-Some car seats simply won't fit at all or fit safely in certain cars. Does your child car seat of choice fit in your car?
-Getting an infant into a car is one concern, however getting an infant OUT of a car in the case of an emergency is even
more important. Does your car have adequate leeway to maneuver your child out quickly if necessary?
-Also a car with seats for only 2 passengers in the back puts an infant at greater risk in an accident than if there were a
middle back seat to place them in. Does your car have a middle back seat?
-Loose objects in a car become flying weapons during an accident. Does your car have adequate space in the trunk to store
items while traveling?

Then there's the comfort issue for parents. Are you and your wife tall and/or heavy set and is your car short? That disparity will cause aching backs if transporting an infant often. It is much easier to load an infant in a vehicle that is close to your height. Not to mention if whoever is sitting in front of the rear facing car seat is tall and has to move their seat up in order to fit the car seat in the back it becomes cramped very quickly.

Lots to consider.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Just an FYI...I don't think four month old babies are eating food yet. Mine were still drinking formula, maybe some baby rice cereal.

And don't think you need to have everything and a McMansion now, too.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
OP: I got curious and read some of your other posts. You're ex-Navy? Hauling a kid around is going to be a piece of cake for you.

Concentrate on your wife and what is easiest for her. You've gotten some great advice here. Congrats on the soon-to-be addition to the family and thanks for your service.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've yet to see a family get out of a minivan only to be met by the disapproving stares of the other people in the parking lot who are shouting, "Shame! Shame!" and covering the eyes of their children lest they be exposed to the sight of a Nissan Quest.

Get what works for you and (here's the important part) what you can afford. My parents took three kids coast to coast in the late 50's in a Ford. (It didn't even have cup holders. We sang a lot.)
LOL. No cup holders? How did you survive? We not only had no cup holders, but no AC either. I spent 6 days (3 each way) every summer going from S. Florida to PA stuck in the hot back seat with my brother and his stinky feet which he delighted in sticking in my face. We also had no radio, DVR or iPods. Just books. It's a miracle that we arrived alive, especially considering we also had no seatbelts.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I just dont see the appeal of a van personally, unless i had maybe 5 kids, but still even then, i'd rather take 2 cars then drive such an ugly and impractical (MPG wise) van.
Who drives the second car?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
LOL. No cup holders? How did you survive?
Endless rounds of "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain".

Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Ok I am a dad to be, and feel like my civics might be small for carting around a kid, a pack-n-play and a BOB during normal day to day life. Am I mistaken, is it easy to get kids in and out of small cars?

Additionally I am going on two coast to coast trips when my baby will be 4 months old, the previously mentioned items will be coming with, as will three duffels and one large suitcase (as well as a food processor to make the baby food and some dishes for mom and dad. Do you think the car will suffice?

I also posted on the car forum, but that was more in regards to rooftop boxes (a possiable inbetween getting a mini van and keeping what I have).
One more thing. You don't need to cart around a pack-n-play or the BOB on a normal day. I keep a small but comfy umbrella stroller in the car in case I need it but I keep the bulky jogger at home and use it around the neighborhood or when I want to go jogging. I also keep a baby carrier in the car, like an ergo or a Bjorn just in case I need it along with a diaper bag packed with a couple of diapers, wipes an outfit change in case of a blowout and a blanket. That's it. You really don't need to lug around a bunch of baby gear, a few small key items will do and they should all fit quite easily in the trunk with plenty of room to spare.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,743,626 times
I dont give "disapproving stares" to people who drive minivans. I personally find them hideous, but I dont judge people who choose to drive them. With that being said, we only plan on having 2 or 3 kids, so my diesel wagon will work just fine for our family as our son would be in a booster before we get to even having a 3rd child, so all 3 will fit in the back just fine.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,743,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Even with that, it would still be less gas to get a minivan I'm at about 21/24 with my Sienna.
Ooh a whopping 1-3 miles per gallon more than if we take two cars (I'm being cheeky, i'm not being obnoxious), but like i said, minimum 40, usually we average 45 per car, so we would still be doing the same as your do with your one car. I'm glad you like your Sienna, i just couldnt do it! I'll keep our diesels! If they ever came out with a diesel van, i *MIGHT* consider it, but until that point, i'll stick with my minimum 40mpg.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Endless rounds of "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain".
We were more of a "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting