Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

My general opinion is this: want kids, then have (or adopt) them; don't want kids, then don't. Each perfectly viable options and I am friendly with people with have chosen one or the other option, and almost all of them are happy with the decisions they made. The only thing I dislike is when the extreme points of view come out, with terms like "breeders" or assumptions like "everyone should have kids." IMO, people need to live their own lives according to how they see fit and just as long as no one is bashing anyone else, everything is cool. It would be a pretty boring world if we all chose to live the same exact way.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Why do you have a problem with this the moderators told me this was where I should post this. Take it up with the moderators.
Perhaps I could suggest, as you are new, that you take a look at some of the threads on the forum. That should give you an idea of the types of topics discussed, and the way threads are started in order to generate discussion.

As you are a furr-parents perhaps I could frame my thoughts this way, what would your reaction be if a person posted on a cat forum that they don't want, like, or choose to have cats?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Again, if people are confused about why some childfree threads are posted here, please read the sticky or send me a note, and I will clarify if I can. This comes from the senior mods, not me. Many times these topics are relevant to the forum, just as "I don't plan to ever get married" is a perfectly valid topic in Relationships and "I don't like guns and don't want to own one" would go in the Guns & Hunting forum. This is not a forum just for parents.

Thank you.

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-29-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
There are plenty of people on the relationship forum who have never been in a relationship in their lifetime. They post threads seeking advice, or posting experiences, or just statements. People still respond. Where else do you plan on sending them?...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I am not a parent and even though I might have ideas about parenting, I am not going to post them because then people will say - "you're not a parent what do you know". Which is accurate.
Thanks for posting this.

For the record, I am a parent (of a human).

I ABSOLUTELY hate it when people discount the input and opinions of those without kids.

Unless you are one of those who got pregnant at 13, 15, or 18, you know where the childless posters are coming from.

At least, you should.

We have all been there.

We have all sat in a restaurant and shook our heads while the bratty kid at the table next to us ran wild while the parents were oblivious.

We have all had a ball before children and then felt at least somewhat tied-down after children.

Look, I love my son. I would NEVER go back to the time before he was born. Don't let the "parents" tell you, however, that your life CANNOT be complete without a child.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
To the OP: what is it that you want to discuss? Realistically the vast majority of people on this forum DO have kids and your pool of respondents without kids is going to be really limited, but if you have specific things you wanted to discuss or experiences to compare you may find get some good responses. And EVERYONE here, whether or not they now have kids, was at some point "child-free."

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Don't let the "parents" tell you, however, that your life CANNOT be complete without a child.
I don't recall anyone saying that in response to this thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Perhaps I could suggest, as you are new, that you take a look at some of the threads on the forum. That should give you an idea of the types of topics discussed, and the way threads are started in order to generate discussion.

As you are a furr-parents perhaps I could frame my thoughts this way, what would your reaction be if a person posted on a cat forum that they don't want, like, or choose to have cats?
I don't expect everyone to feel the same way about animals that I do. As a matter of fact I prefer if people dislike animals that they don't get one.

I am a newbie here but not to forums, I know how they work. I am posting here because the moderators told me to if there was a specific forum for child-free individuals then I would post there.

It seems to be generating some discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
To the OP: what is it that you want to discuss? Realistically the vast majority of people on this forum DO have kids and your pool of respondents without kids is going to be really limited, but if you have specific things you wanted to discuss or experiences to compare you may find get some good responses. And EVERYONE here, whether or not they now have kids, was at some point "child-free."
I will post threads as topics come up. I don't plan on reviving this thread every time I find something I would like to have other opinions on.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Again, if people are confused about why some childfree threads are posted here, please read the sticky or send me a note, and I will clarify if I can. This comes from the senior mods, not me. Many times these topics are relevant to the forum, just as "I don't plan to ever get married" is a perfectly valid topic in Relationships and "I don't like guns and don't want to own one" would go in the Guns & Hunting forum. This is not a forum just for parents.

Thank you.
No, but it is about parenting. I wouldn't go to the Military board to explicitly say I've chosen to remain military-free. What's the point of it?

Honestly, I think senior mods need to make a child-free forum already.

If a person without kids is talking about parenting, fine. Coming here to say they've decided to remain child-free isn't about parenting. It's a lifestyle choice.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, but it is about parenting. I wouldn't go to the Military board to explicitly say I've chosen to remain military-free. What's the point of it?

Honestly, I think senior mods need to make a child-free forum already.

If a person without kids is talking about parenting, fine. Coming here to say they've decided to remain child-free isn't about parenting. It's a lifestyle choice.
I agree.

But then we have to promise not to go to the "child-free" forum and ruin their party with our snarky comments.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting