Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was in elem school in the 60's. No cupcakes. No treats. The teacher had us sing "Happy Birthday To You" to the birthday boy/girl and that was pretty much that. If you had a summer birthday you lost out on the song. Somehow we all survived.

But I see nothing wrong with a once-a-month celebration with a song and a cupcake. Name everyone with a birthday that month. Include the kids with a summer birthday in the school month closest to their birthday. I'm a little surprised that the topic is so controversial. It's a cupcake, not cherries jubilee with a waiter coming in to set fire to the booze poured over the top.
My experience in the 50s was different. People did bring cupcakes. I always felt left out b/c I have a summer birthday. (Somehow I survived, too!)

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What's so wrong with having cupcakes a few times per month (if that)?
It's not my preference, and it mostly boils down to nutrition. Your mileage may vary. My favorite teacher at the local elementary school celebrates students' birthdays by sending his class outside for an extra twenty minutes of recess at the end of the day. I think that's a fantastic alternative to class cupcakes.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-06-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not my preference, and it mostly boils down to nutrition. Your mileage may vary. My favorite teacher at the local elementary school celebrates students' birthdays by sending his class outside for an extra twenty minutes recess at the end of the day. I think that's a fantastic alternative to class cupcakes.
Love it.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Love it.
Even better, he actually plays with them! He taught my oldest how to throw a football like a champ.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not my preference, and it mostly boils down to nutrition. Your mileage may vary. My favorite teacher at the local elementary school celebrates students' birthdays by sending his class outside for an extra twenty minutes of recess at the end of the day. I think that's a fantastic alternative to class cupcakes.
I guess I could turn around and ask why can't the kids just play outside at home.

My point is having extra recess time or an extra cupcake here and there isn't going to kill the educational process.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I guess I could turn around and ask why can't the kids just play outside at home.
My point is having extra recess time or an extra cupcake here and there isn't going to kill the educational process.

People have given you a lot of good reasons not to support yet more crap food. One place which purports healthy eating. Yet the only answer you give for what is RIGHT about it is that it is not going to kill any one? Doing cocaine once is not going to kill you either. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
People have given you a lot of good reasons not to support yet more crap food. One place which purports healthy eating. Yet the only answer you give for what is RIGHT about it is that it is not going to kill any one? Doing cocaine once is not going to kill you either. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do.
Did you just compare cocaine to a cupcake?

LOL

Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Did you just compare cocaine to a cupcake?
No I compared your logic to useless.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
No I compared your logic to useless.
No, actually you didn't.

Number one, you misunderstood what I wrote. I said "A cupcake here and there won't kill the educational process." It won't.

Number two, cupcakes are not bad for you here and there - even a few times per month. Banning any and all junk food does not teach any responsibility or understanding of moderation.

Number three, just because you don't agree with what I have to say doesn't mean my opinion is "useless".

Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I get it, Magritte. You don't have to keep beating a dead horse, and I really don't understand the argumentative stance you've taken with me. I have simply stated my preference for an alternative to sweets for celebrating birthdays at school with the explanation that I am concerned about nutrition. End of story. Am I allowed to have an opinion only if I'm in full agreement with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting