Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised OP even has a computer. Seems like he/she should be using a rock and flint to etch out messages on stone and chucking them out of the cave.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Teach your boys not to hit girls for any reason and to respect the female body, which is designed to conceive, carry and nurture fragile human life. That means no co-ed martial arts, rugby, etc.
So I guess playing wide receiver is out for little Melissa, huh? Pity. Melissa has the best hands on the block, knows her routes, never misses a block and runs like a deer through the woods. But the Taliba... I mean the big, strong men have decreed that's where she must be. What with her uterus and all. The guys are going to be casting wistful glances her way while she sits all dainty-like on the porch playing with her pink dolls while the team is down 10 points.

Ahh, well. Heavy sigh. Soon it will be time for Melissa to go in and make them all supper which she will serve them before she's allowed to eat. Sitting in the next room. Where the masculine boys in their masculine clothing won't be thinking evil thoughts about her....

blocking capabilities.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would say the op is extremely disturbing, but I never learned to read, being the good, housebound, barefoot, pregnant woman that I am...spend way too much time darning socks and preparing aspics.

Besides, I am much too weak to pick up the laptop...and omg! It's a non-kitchen electrical appliance! What if I blow it up! Omg! So many buttons! I swoon with intimidation!

I hope a heavy-lifting, outside-chore doing, properly attired male comes and saves me soon.
Damn! That's what's wrong with me, I don't know how to prepare an aspic!

I'd better correct that before I ruin my daughter, who's playing with cars, wearing a tutu, and doesn't know how to prepare aspics either.

OMG!! I just remembered ..... we don't even like aspic. I mourn for the next generation. Aspics, we hardly knew ye.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Not true. Today's mothers raise their kids to believe the only difference between girls and boys is genitalia. Think about it for a minute; why do mothers work so hard making their daughters more like sons, and their sons more like daughters? I never understood that. They get their girls trucks and jeans, and get their boys dolls and tutus. They encourage their daughters to be rough and tumble and tough, and encourage their sons to be feminine, passive and sensitive.

It seems to me that modern mothers are trying very hard to reverse genders, molding tomorrow's men to be what women used to be, and molding tomorrow's women to be what men used to be. Why else would they be so demeaning to men than for the purpose of opressing them through guilt and manipulation and shame?Or could it be that some people just acknowledge there are differences and celebrating those differences instead of trying to change them?
First i think you need to re read his statement and mine to see why the bolded is false. I am almost 27, and due to this i have a few real life mom friends, and several online mom friends. Some have girls, and some have boys, and some have both. All of them however don't believe in gender roles defining their kids however. Doesn't mean they push anything on their kids, but just let them be kids. If the boys want to be rough, and tumble, and play with toy guns they do. If the girls want to wear dresses, and host little girly tea parties they do. The point is they let the children make up their own conclusions on who they are, and don't push the girls to be feminine, or the boys to be masculine. We are different in our biology, but that doesn't mean we should be forced to be different in our personalities. I wear pink things, love hello kitty, don't like makeup, like to play rough, and own a gun. My brother can knit, sew, is a bodybuilder,races dirtbikes,and gives his female friends facials. You see we are who we are because that is how we feel, not because we were taught to be like that.
Quote:
I've successfully raised three traditional adults who know EXACTLY who and what they are. They are all happy, well adjusted, intelligent people. The boys hold doors and treat females with respect and patience, and my daughter expects nothing less. They are not at all confused about their roles in their family and in society. No one is afraid of change, we celebrate and respect differences; simple as that.
You fear change, because otherwise you would not be defending archaic views on men and women. Since a door weighs nothing i can open it myself, and often might just be the one holding it for your shocked sons .

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm surprised OP even has a computer. Seems like he/she should be using a rock and flint to etch out messages on stone and chucking them out of the cave.
Dew drop used to chisel messages in stone, she told us .

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have a 5 year old, and thus have quite a bit of contact with "modern mothers". I see zero evidence of this.

What I do see, is that parents are more prepared to let kids take the lead on what interests them, instead of forcing them into preconceived gender roles from the get go. IE, if little Suzy likes trucks, then little Suzy can play with trucks. If little Jimmy likes dancing, little Jimmy can dance.

The reality is that the modern workforce is no longer divided into traditional gender roles. If kids are going to be successful later in life, they're going to need to be prepared to do work that used to traditionally cater to a specific gender. It's not going to be helpful to pretend that little Suzy shouldn't be good at math and become an engineer because women supposedly don't understand numbers. It's not going to be helpful for little Jimmy to not go into nursing because men are not traditionally caretakers.

This does not mean people don't respect the inherent differences between the sexes. I do believe they still do. But our kids are no longer constrained along hard drawn gender lines. We now accept that there's quite a crossover when it comes to what both sexes are capable of, and in a world where people really need to play to their own individual strengths in order to survive, it's a good thing that gender stigma is going the way of the dinosaur.
Good post -- my dad was pretty old fashioned but thought his sons should learn to wash dishes and pick up after themselves, he led by example, he would sometimes wash dishes with a kid. And he thought that if anyone was going to drive a car, they should know how a car runs and how to keep it running.

I'm fine with gender-neutral. I'm not as fine with having sons dance daintily around in frilly pink tutus--- that isn't gender neutral. A frilly pink tutu is rather gender specific -- and I also wouldn't really like to see a daughter wearing a jock strap -- but gender neutral like jeans and t-shirt are fine.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So I guess playing wide receiver is out for little Melissa, huh? Pity. Melissa has the best hands on the block, knows her routes, never misses a block and runs like a deer through the woods. The guys are going to be casting wistful glances her way while she sits all dainty-like on the porch playing with her pink dolls while the team is down 10 points.

Ahh, well. Heavy sigh. Soon it will be time for Melissa to go in and make them all supper which she will serve them before she's allowed to eat. Sitting in the next room. Where the masculine boys in their masculine clothing won't be thinking evil thoughts about her....

blocking capabilities.
Of course dew! Because those are masculine things that might confuse little Melissa from her womanly duties in life!. You know doing her makeup,cooking for her family,raising her 5 kids,never complaining, and letting her husband lead in household choices. Don't you know we women aren't nearly as happy today because we don't do that?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good post -- my dad was pretty old fashioned but thought his sons should learn to wash dishes and pick up after themselves, he led by example, he would sometimes wash dishes with a kid. And he thought that if anyone was going to drive a car, they should know how a car runs and how to keep it running.

I'm fine with gender-neutral. I'm not as fine with having sons dance daintily around in frilly pink tutus--- that isn't gender neutral. A frilly pink tutu is rather gender specific -- and I also wouldn't really like to see a daughter wearing a jock strap -- but gender neutral like jeans and t-shirt are fine.
Softball to the crotch is going to hurt no matter the gender though .

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
even the Duggars- the most conservative and backward family I "know" teach their girls how to maintain automobiles.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Seriously? You haven't seen those documentaries on TV about gender confused children? Boys in pink bedrooms with tutus hanging from the door and dresses in the closet? I've seen a dozen of those. You've never seen blogs written by a women who think it's so darn cute that little Johnny prefers tutus and dresses instead of jeans and sneakers? They are everywhere.
I saw an article a year or so ago from a woman whose son liked pink toenail polish. Otherwise, no. I guess we read different stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting