Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,635 times

Advertisements

hi, i am a little overweight mom, im 245lbs 5ft8 , we was at church tonight and their was a dinner, i brought pizza which added up to 25.00 , anyways, as i was in line with my plate, i grab a piece of popeyes fried chicken and my son says, oh i knew you would grab that fat food, its for fat people like you.....i know a few overheard him, i simply put the chicken back and said i will be in the car....when he finally got out church i did not speak to him the entire way home... he says these things all the time to me, but at home it never bothered me because we was in privacy, once he said it at church around other people, oh it was like a knife went through my heart. HelP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Call the pastor of your church and have him meet w/ you and your son. Tell your how he makes you feel...Have the pastor give hime a good old fashioned lecture. And ground him if you do things or pay for things if he is a young adult. Good luck

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I am sorry that happened to you.

Sometimes a young child (up to age 8 or maybe 10) says things without really meaning them. Or maybe it is a misguided (and inappropriate) attempt to help motivate you to take better care of your health. But, it is very rude to say mean things like that in private and especially in public.

How old is your son? How long has he been saying things like that to you? Those answers will help readers come up with suggestions or ideas that may help you in this situation.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by depressedmom2012 View Post
hi, i am a little overweight mom, im 245lbs 5ft8 , we was at church tonight and their was a dinner, i brought pizza which added up to 25.00 , anyways, as i was in line with my plate, i grab a piece of popeyes fried chicken and my son says, oh i knew you would grab that fat food, its for fat people like you.....i know a few overheard him, i simply put the chicken back and said i will be in the car....when he finally got out church i did not speak to him the entire way home... he says these things all the time to me, but at home it never bothered me because we was in privacy, once he said it at church around other people, oh it was like a knife went through my heart. HelP...
You might ask him if he thinks he is perfect in every way and how would he like it if you were to mock his imperfections.

You didn't say how old he is, but I would hope you're not buying him clothes or much of anything and when he asks for new clothes, you'll take him to Salvation Army and people can make fun of him for his clothes and then maybe he will learn how to be nicer.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Depends on how old his is.
If he's a teenager, I think he might be embarassed to be seen out in public with you.

Maybe you should reverse it and pick him apart until he stops.

I don't think you should let this go unpunished or atleast talk to him and tell him how you feel.
Depending on his age, if he's older, he should understand,or just be a real rude kid.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Wow, if I had even thought about saying something like that to my Mother, let alone actually saying it I would have been slapped so hard in a flash and I would have been the one in the car, not eating, no being social, just in the car or worse, she would have made me stay inside but I would not have been able to leave her side at all and no one would have been able to talk to me. I am amazed at how parents allow their children to continue to be so disrespectful, it would never be tolerated when I was a child and I did not tolerate it when my children were younger.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
That's terrible for you. Your son was rude and the situation must have been awkward and embarrassing.

I would also suggest that you speak to your Pastor.

You don't say how old he is. He could be worried about your health. If that's the case, it still doesn't excuse what he did.

Perhaps you should ask him if that's the case.

Even so, there are certain things that are private and your son has no business publicly scolding you about your eating habits.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
He should not be saying this to you at home or in public.

How old is he? That would help us figure out what you should do.

What does his dad say when he speaks to you like that? If dad is in the home, he should definitely be helping to curb his son's rudeness.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Can you talk to his father about it? I can't believe he would let your son get away with this behavior.

Your son needs a smackdown - immediately - but be careful not to permanently alienate him. My guess is that things have got this far because he has been getting away with lots of other, smaller offenses -e.g, you mentioned him saying similar things in the home. That shouldn't be allowed either. Whether it bothers you isn't the point. You want to raise a gentleman. So part of the problem is consistency in parenting. Next time this happens he needs to lose some privileges that are dear to him, and if it happens in public, he needs to disappear, and fast.

Also, give him some good reading material that develops character. Send me a DM if you'd like suggestions.

One thing to consider: he may possibly have heard other kids make rude comments about overweight people, and he's embarrassed. Obviously, that's no excuse, and he needs to set the example for his friends by showing respect for his mother, but it might help to know where he's coming from.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
How old is your son, by the way?

One of my early bad memories is when I was around 7 or 8 years old and my mother took me to some gathering with lots of decorated elderly veterans - probably a VFW event. She introduced me to a kind old gentleman who stooped down low to shake my hand. I refused, out of the blue, and said "I don't shake hands with ********."

Naturally, my mother was mortified. She apologized to him and whisked me away. I got a good talking-to after which I, too, was mortified and deeply, deeply ashamed.

I have no idea where that came from, and didn't even know what the naughty word meant. I was a clown and thought I was being funny. Somewhere or other I picked up the bad language and the rude demeanor in the context of "humor". When it was explained to me how I had hurt the old man, I was truly remorseful.

So, it might be that your son doesn't yet realize what he's doing. I don't know. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting