U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM

130 posts, read 261,915 times

Advertisements

Coddling? Bah. My family paid for my education, I have an advanced degree, have run businesses, have worked in our family office for over 30 years, acted as a trustee for various family members. Never used illegal drugs, drink moderately, pay my bills. It all depends on accepting individual responsibility and what you are taught.

My mother was in her 60's when her father passed, he was in his late 90's. Until the day he died he gave all his girls an allowance, even though they had been married for years, some had worked, some had not. His boys did not get allowances, but money settled on them when they were younger. None of his children were uneducated or wasteful.

I also know people in our same circle who wasted inheritances and literally wait for disbursements from trusts and count on elderly relatives passing on. It all depend on how you are trained by your family and more importantly how much attention you pay to what you are taught.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting