Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Protocol is to transfer to a hospital in an emergency. Again, the point made many pages ago was that some parents will chance taking their child to daycare praying and hoping that they are doing the right thing for their family. Again, you'd have to understand the thought process of people who are stressed to the limit with money issues to see why they would do this. I never suggested a daycare take a child to a doctor.
If the protocall is for the daycare to transfer the child to an ER, the daycare is taking the child to the hospital to see the doctor. I think that's pretty obvious.

You do have to consider all thought processes because people do not always think exactly the same way under stressful situations. I'm sure that many (maybe most) parents would be at that daycare ASAP if they got a call saying that their child was sick. But there are others who wouldn't answer the call because they couldn't afford to/didn't want to miss a day of work - I'm sure that they figure their child is in good hands at the daycare and daycare will handle it. And they are probably right. The irony is, that a person like that will wind up keeping their job while the daycare worker who made the mistake of looking the other way that morning might very well end up fired.

I've never been in this situation, myself, so it's hard to know what I'd do, how I'd feel, because I've never been in those shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
There was no insinuation that you cared less for your child as you never once said you lived this situation until this particular post.

I didn't say you were talking about ME, Magritte, however this paragraph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
So, I lost my days pay and I went without whatever was needed to cover that lost days wages, usually it meant the food budget, but occasionally it meant not paying the phone bill. My credit went to hell during that time of my life. That's a small price to pay to care for my own children when they needed me to do so when you step back and think about it.
certainly insinuates that those who choose not to stay home with their sick child do not care as much because it's "a small price to pay" to do so.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If the protocall is for the daycare to transfer the child to an ER, the daycare is taking the child to the hospital to see the doctor. I think that's pretty obvious.
To me, taking a child to a doctor is....taking him to a doctor. Like an appointment. An ER is different, to me, then a doctor. When someone says "I'm taking my child to the dr." I think differently than when they say "I'm taking my child to the ER." Think that's pretty obvious.

Quote:
You do have to consider all thought processes because people do not always think exactly the same way under stressful situations. I'm sure that many (maybe most) parents would be at that daycare ASAP if they got a call saying that their child was sick. But there are others who wouldn't answer the call because they couldn't afford to/didn't want to miss a day of work - I'm sure that they figure their child is in good hands at the daycare and daycare will handle it. And they are probably right. The irony is, that a person like that will wind up keeping their job while the daycare worker who made the mistake of looking the other way that morning might very well end up fired.
Lots of leaps there. I don't know any daycare that would blame an employee for a parent dropping off a sick child.

Quote:
I've never been in this situation, myself, so it's hard to know what I'd do, how I'd feel, because I've never been in those shoes.
You don't always have to be in someone else's shoes to imagine what you might do given a set of circumstances. At least I'd hope not.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I am arguing about colds because many people believe that constitutes sickness and absence from daycare/school.

The rule is black and white. The reasons why parents may try to skirt the rule, however, are many shades of gray.
Well, no day care I have ever known has a rule against bringing a child with a cold. The other parents don't get a say on that.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Have you read the part about how daycare is not a viable option anyway because no daycare allows kids with fevers to stay there?!

Speaking of reading.
Not being theatrical.
Just think a lot of people's 'have to's are really 'want to's.
Rampant in modern parenting.
Like the myth of 'have to' have 2 incomes.
Ever hear of a single parent?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Even SAHMs have to arrange for back up childcare. Every parent does that - and yes, it can be a royal pain. But it is not *impossible*.

If the parent truly can not miss a day of work when their child is sick that is all the more reason to find a trusted neighbor/friend/family member who can help out during emergencies. What on earth do these people do when they need childcare and the daycare center is closed?
Day care centers are normally closed (IME) 1 day per year, aside from regular holidays.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well, kids that are hacking tend to spread germs a little more efficiently for one thing. And you don't know when/where this kid picked up this virus/became contagious. Daycares aren't really designed to monitor, treat, care for feverish kids. Nor can they take sick kids to the doctor.

Call the parent? I thought that the parent *can't* miss time from work? What if the daycare calls but can't reach the parent? Should the daycare call 911? What would you do?
The teacher should take notice of the elevated fever and segregate the child while they try to reach the parents. That is the law. They wouldn't leave an obviously sick kid in the room with the others, even if the parent couldn't be reached. If your family has never had to utilize a day care center, I don't suppose you'd know much about them, huh?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a real witch, I have to say that you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.

If someone is making $8 per hour at a job, has no family to help out, all her friends work too and no disposable income to pay someone else to watch her sick child, what do you think she is going to do? Do you believe she is going to say, "I better risk my job (or miss a bill payment) by calling off today so other people's kids don't get sick"? Of course not. If she has no other choice, she is going to put her family's needs first. You simply do not understand that there really are people who do not have the network, the connections that many of us take for granted. You do not understand that there really are people who do not have backups through little to no fault of their own. You do not understand that while rules may be black and white, the reasons for breaking said rules are as varied as the people who break them.

There are many jobs where sick time does not exist - retail, trucking, food service, etc. Then you have people, like those on this thread, who really cannot believe that, YES, there are many many jobs where you don't get benefits like sick time, health insurance, vacation time, etc. This is a reality for thousands of families in this country.
I do understand exactly what I am talking about here. There have been times in my life I was so broke I didn't have underpants. After I had my first child, my husband was making $6 an hour and I got fired for having my baby a month early and not giving the boss any notice. I didn't have an ID and couldn't afford to get one so I couldn't get another job. My daughter had two sleepers and one crib sheet, we couldn't afford the laundromat so I had to wash her clothes in the sink every day. I was so depressed and scared that I wanted to run away. We didn't have anyone to help us. After that we decided we'd never be in that kind of situation again, no matter how hard we had to work.

I have had neighbors who didn't know what they were feeding their children for dinner that night. I have taken care of sick kids for neighbors who were working low-paying jobs and couldn't call in because they were afraid they'd get fired. I've called around and found food for neighbors who had none. I've helped neighbors find a way to go to the doctor when they had no insurance and almost no money. I've given them clothes for their kids when my kids had extras and theirs had almost none. I know what it's like to be living one paycheck away from total financial ruin.

The people who I know who have no backups of any sort don't have any because they take advantage of people and use them all up. My mom was one of those people. I noticed you're taking this thread extremely personally, from the mother's point of view. I've seen it from the kid's point of view, I've been the one stuck in daycare when I was sick, or vomiting all day at school, or left home alone all day with a fever when I was about 8. My mother was not a single mother making minimum wage, for her it was about convenience and about laziness and about getting her money's worth from the daycare or school. She didn't have any friends to ask because she had asked everyone she knew for favors, and then been too busy to repay the favor when they asked. She told me the other day that she had almost 2000 hours of sick time saved up that she had never used because they'll cash it out when she retires.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
To me, taking a child to a doctor is....taking him to a doctor. Like an appointment. An ER is different, to me, then a doctor. When someone says "I'm taking my child to the dr." I think differently than when they say "I'm taking my child to the ER." Think that's pretty obvious.

Lots of leaps there. I don't know any daycare that would blame an employee for a parent dropping off a sick child.

You don't always have to be in someone else's shoes to imagine what you might do given a set of circumstances. At least I'd hope not.
In my scenario, taking the child to see their regular doctor (which most parents would do) was off of the table because the daycare can't do that. The child was sick, needed a fever reducer, needed to see a doctor, the parents couldn't be reached and the only thing the daycare could do was follow protocall. That would mean taking the child to the ER to be treated for strep, pneumonia, the flu, whatever.

When the ER starts asking questions about why the daycare is bringing this kid in (they'll need to know when the fever was first noticed for example, why the daycare - not the parent - is bringing this child in) the facts will start to come out. And, yes, I can see where a daycare worker could be the one to take the fall for allowing the parent to drop off the sick child in the first place.

Honestly, when I imagine myself in these shoes I see myself doing what Hypocore did - staying at home with my sick child and losing that day's pay. But having never been in that situation before, having never been financially desperate like that as a parent, I can't know that for a fact.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The teacher should take notice of the elevated fever and segregate the child while they try to reach the parents. That is the law. They wouldn't leave an obviously sick kid in the room with the others, even if the parent couldn't be reached. If your family has never had to utilize a day care center, I don't suppose you'd know much about them, huh?
My kids haven't been in daycare. But they went to preschool when they were little and they attend school now. So, yep, I'm familiar with the protocall.

One morning I dropped off one of my kids not realizing that he had pink eye. I don't think I was home before I got the first call. And I went right back and got him, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting