Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was about 3 or 4, she used to play with this doll, and she was violent. She would say, "you are a BAD baby, and Mama is gonna smack you.". Now, I NEVER said that, ever. One time, she told the, "Baby", "you are BAD, I am putting your hand on the stove.", and she proceeded to put the doll's hand on her plastic stovetop. This horrified me. What if she acted this way in pre-school? Would CPS come to our home? Would her teacher's think we were abusive? I would try to correct her during play...and say, "no, put the baby in time out", and she would proceed to spanking the doll.

So...that was an interesting experience for me. We were never reported...but she was so mean to that doll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
People, including children , are individuals . . .with a myriad of different variables contributing to their personalities and dispositions . . . parents have some influence, no doubt, but I personally believe there are many other factors that trump parental influence. Parents give themselves too much credit, for good and bad.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When my daughter was about 3 or 4, she used to play with this doll, and she was violent. She would say, "you are a BAD baby, and Mama is gonna smack you.". Now, I NEVER said that, ever. One time, she told the, "Baby", "you are BAD, I am putting your hand on the stove.", and she proceeded to put the doll's hand on her plastic stovetop. This horrified me. What if she acted this way in pre-school? Would CPS come to our home? Would her teacher's think we were abusive? I would try to correct her during play...and say, "no, put the baby in time out", and she would proceed to spanking the doll.

So...that was an interesting experience for me. We were never reported...but she was so mean to that doll.
LOL, that is so funny! Of course wouldn't have been if someone thought something bad...but I wonder where she picked that up? TV? I've got a 2.5 year old, hope he doesn't do something like that, haha

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I found this article very thought provoking. It's a good reminder that there are many factors that influence a child's behavior; environment, genes, personality, peers, development, and many, many more. I find myself falling into the trap of blaming parents for a child's negative behavior, and yet conversely if a child displays positive behaviors, it is usually attributed to the child rather than the parent.

The take-away for me is to take a step back, recognize that child behaviors are complaex, and parents could benefit from support from their peers, and not just criticism. We are all doing the best we can with the hand dealt (of course there are exceptions).

Dr. Peggy Drexler: Is a Child's Behavior Always a Reflection of His Parents?
Not always but sometimes. You have to look at what the parents do and then assess the situation not just assume bad parenting is to blame. I agree that parents need support. As bad as my dd can behave sometimes, I believe her behavior could be much worse if I wasn't checking it constantly. I also believe it could be much better if her father didn't enable her helplessness. I don't, however, believe that all of her issues would have disappeared if we'd both been perfect parents 100% of the time. She is who she is.

I also don't believe that dd#2's caring nature and good behavior are credited to good parenting. We're the same parents with both of our kids. We make our mistakes. She's just more resilient so they roll off her back like water off of a duck. They stick to dd#1 and become festering sores.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

My dcp used to tell me that my hair would fall out if I heard half the stuff my kids said. She said not to worry though because it's that way with all kids and best for us parents not to know.

Do you have any idea where she might have picked up being violent with the baby doll?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
my son's kindergarten teacher told me the first day of school "I promise not to believe anything he tells you about what happens at home if you promise not to believe anything he tells you about what happens at school".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting