Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times

Advertisements

Only one of our boys had a paci habit, the other one was more of a bottle snacker.

We first took the pacifier/bottle away during the day and allowed it only for naps and night night. After another month or so, we took it away at night.

They cried at first, but not for as long as you might think. After they realized that they could go to sleep without it, they no longer asked for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
They cried at first, but not for as long as you might think. After they realized that they could go to sleep without it, they no longer asked for it.
This. My son will be 3 in December and we finally took his paci away about three weeks ago. He hadn't used it at day care since he turned 1, but still had it at night and for his weekend naps. The first couple of nights weren't really full out crying, but you could tell over the monitor he was whimpering and trying to feel for it when he woke up in the middle of the night. But since he's been napping at school without it for almost two years now, he adjusted pretty quickly.

I don't know when didn't take it away when day care did!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
Another update, I'm proud to say that we are "pacifier free"!!!It took her three days to completely get over it, she was really bad the first two days, on the third day she only whined a minute-two and fell asleep. I don't know if this is because of the pacifier ( or lack there of should I say ), but she is finally sleeping through the night!!!She slept throughout the night for the past three nights ( has been without her paci for 3 days/nights as well ). After 21 months of waking up several times a night, she's finally sleeping through the night!!!And is pacifier free!!!Thank you all for your advice, it's truly appreciated!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Another update, I'm proud to say that we are "pacifier free"!!!It took her three days to completely get over it, she was really bad the first two days, on the third day she only whined a minute-two and fell asleep. I don't know if this is because of the pacifier ( or lack there of should I say ), but she is finally sleeping through the night!!!She slept throughout the night for the past three nights ( has been without her paci for 3 days/nights as well ). After 21 months of waking up several times a night, she's finally sleeping through the night!!!And is pacifier free!!!Thank you all for your advice, it's truly appreciated!!!
That's great, lastra, I knew you'd all get through it just fine. We gotta do the same in the next few months. We're tackling potty training this weekend since I know she's completely ready... even though we've done it before and it should be straightforward and pretty easy, I'm lazy.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Great job! You did it! You're no longer a slave to routine.

It's no coincidence that she now is sleeping through the night. Now on to potty training!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Woo hoo! You did it! And she did it! What wonderful resolution, thanks so much for letting us know. Enjoy the sleep.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Did you try quitting cold turkey? It will be hell for a few days but eventually she'll get over it. I've also heard friends tell their kids that the paci went "bye bye" and that was the end of it. We quit around 9 months (our DDs are a couple of months apart so it seems). She got sick with a stuffy nose, wanted her paci so badly but she couldn't breathe if the paci was in her mouth so she'd spit it out and cry, repeat this for a few days straight and that was our hell. We decided right then and there to just quit cold turkey. It was hard initially but we got through it.

Find another "replacement item" for your child. For our daughter, instead of the paci, her old swaddle blanket is her comfort item. Thankfully she is not picky. We have over a dozen and just rotate them out. It's a hassle, too, but at least I don't have to find her paci in the middle of the night if she is having trouble.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
OOOOPS, should've read the end first. Yay!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting