Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Knowing to use a firearm is like driving a car. Its not that useful (compared to everyone else. . .a lot of people can do it). I mean sure, if you are shooting a gun and can qualify for Olympics but the army won't recruit you because you can shoot. . they can train that quickly

A more adapt analogy, I think, is that a kid creates a virus/hacks a bank. 16 year old.

You must enforce/discipline in such a way that discourages the irresponsibility but doesn't hamper the actual useful skill (flying/computer hacking).
Driving a car or using a gun aren't useful skills? On what planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Knowing to use a firearm is like driving a car. Its not that useful (compared to everyone else. . .a lot of people can do it). I mean sure, if you are shooting a gun and can qualify for Olympics but the army won't recruit you because you can shoot. . they can train that quickly
Useful is not the word you are looking for. Being able to driving a car is VERY useful where I live, in rural New England. We are pretty much stuck at home without it. Being able to accurately and safely fire a firearm is useful here as well. We can dispatch our own rodents, though I prefer to move them with a have a heart trap. We can hunt our own venison. Yum yum.

I think the word you are looking for is unusual. I don't see the value in the unusual by itself.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Driving a car or using a gun aren't useful skills? On what planet?
You know -

I tried to qualify it, and I mentioned earlier. . .useful (compared to anyone else) in reference to the idea that this is going to be used for the future (college, etc).

if you go back to why I said Airplane was useful, I brought up these points
  • It is unique
  • it is fairly complex
  • it teaches various skillsets (organization, aerodynamics, etc)
  • It is a fairly decent size employment opportunity

So cars and guns really don't follow the above
  • Gun ownership in the US is popular
  • Shooting a gun requires little skill
  • Car ownership/driving is popular
  • Career choices for guns limited
  • Career choices for cars limited (truck driving / race car driving is a seperate unique skillset)

I'm not saying you shouldn't learn to read, drive a car, graduate high school, go to college. That is the bare minimum. I am saying that flying is unique, and uniqueness counts.

You can't put guns on your resume, unless you do something different than the average person.

So I say if a kid actually ever did something like this, ground the hell out of him. . .but don't take away the education.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM

334 posts, read 537,549 times
You need to hide your key somewhere he does not have access to.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Ok so all of you also want to skirt around the law?
Punish, punish, punish.
He could have killed someone or thousands.
He broke many laws.

Then if it is tough love, call the cops and the faa, as he stole a plane and flew it with out the proper certification.
Your a instructor call the authorities and let them punish him
Anything short of that and you are a an accomplish to the crime.
Your a flight instructor what would you do if this was not your son and this kid stole your plane?

again
It's just a plane, anyone can learn how to fly, it's not brain surgery.
No one got hurt.
No mass casualties.
Was there will full disregard for life and property?

Could haves.
And he could go on a shooting spree, do we punish him for what he could have done or for what he did do?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
A fly by night poster?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
No just someone who sees a misplaced double stranded.

Everyone is saying to punish him.
Then let the law do it, that's why we have laws.
The punishment is not up to dad.
You need to do the right thing and turn him in.
If we are going to do the "right" thing.

or relax, and settle down and hide it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
A fly by night poster?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No just someone who sees a misplaced double stranded.

Everyone is saying to punish him.
Then let the law do it, that's why we have laws.
The punishment is not up to dad.
You need to do the right thing and turn him in.
If we are going to do the "right" thing.

or relax, and settle down and hide it.
I wasn't refering to you The OP has gotten an abundance of advice and support yet he has flown by the wayside.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
JOOC, how is your SS today? Did he learn his lesson after the grounding?
No but the short leash kept him out of trouble for a time. I think a stint in a juvenile facility might have helped.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No but the short leash kept him out of trouble for a time. I think a stint in a juvenile facility might have helped.
The madness of some of you folk.

First off the FAA ain't going to send him to jail and the DA is not going to try and convict him of airplane theft...which it obviously was not...or any of the strange terrorist crimes on the books. It ain't gonna happen. The worst punishment he would get from the system is a record...which will do far more damage than it will instruct.

The FAA will pull his ticket for 90 days and tell him not to do that again. It has no real criminal mechanism.

OP has wisely left us I think. If he thought a little ahead he would have realized this is not the right place for such a discussion. In fact it could get picked up by authorities and real problems thrown at the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting