Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This. Why not just a family dance. And a family ball game.
I think the point in all of it was trying to provide an event that would bond mother/son and father/daughter in activities neither pair normally participate in (for many people, not all or the majority lest the PC police jump on me). Normally, I don't play sports with my sons, DH does. So something like this would be cool for us and different.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think the point in all of it was trying to provide an event that would bond mother/son and father/daughter in activities neither pair normally participate in (for many people, not all or the majority lest the PC police jump on me). Normally, I don't play sports with my sons, DH does. So something like this would be cool for us and different.

Normally shmormally. If you don't play sports with your son, that is on you. I am right back to school orchistrating family lives as an extension of families thinking that they need someone to tell them how to figure this crap out.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
Quote:
I'm positive no one who has posted here believes this. The issue, to me, is crying foul about every.little.thing that may exclude someone innocuously. Maybe I just don't understand because it never bothered me.
I didn't say anyone here did. I read a few articles about this, and there are tons of comments from people lamenting that their little girls are crushed because they don't get to dance with Daddy or whatever. There's a law in place, the school wasn't following the law, the ACLU pointed it out, and now the school obeys the law. I don't see what the big deal about that is. If having a dance is so important to the PTO, just have a family dance. Little girls can still dance with their dads ... nobody is stopping them. Moms can just come too now.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Normally shmormally. If you don't play sports with your son, that is on you. I am right back to school orchistrating family lives as an extension of families thinking that they need someone to tell them how to figure this crap out.
I'm not sure where the attitude is coming from, I was simply saying it provides an outlet to do so. I don't think I need anyone to tell me to play ball with my kids but if our school had a mother-son game, we'd do it. Sounds fun and a good way to bond - not only with my kids but with other moms of boys.

Again, if you don't like it, don't participate.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I didn't say anyone here did. I read a few articles about this, and there are tons of comments from people lamenting that their little girls are crushed because they don't get to dance with Daddy or whatever. There's a law in place, the school wasn't following the law, the ACLU pointed it out, and now the school obeys the law. I don't see what the big deal about that is. If having a dance is so important to the PTO, just have a family dance. Little girls can still dance with their dads ... nobody is stopping them. Moms can just come too now.
I understand what the law says. But I think there is a difference between the letter and spirit of the law. Title IX wasn't about innocent PTO fundraising events. Using it to stave off perceived discrimination is silly and a waste of time IMO.

To be clear I don't care about family dances or baseball games but I do take issue that everything, everywhere in all things be absolutely 100% fair and accessible to everyone.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where the attitude is coming from, I was simply saying it provides an outlet to do so. I don't think I need anyone to tell me to play ball with my kids but if our school had a mother-son game, we'd do it. Sounds fun and a good way to bond - not only with my kids but with other moms of boys.

Again, if you don't like it, don't participate.
Civil liberties be damned. It doesn't matter. We don't have sexist activities in our school district.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM

I think we might. I'm pretty sure one of the junior highs has a father-daughter dance, but neither my husband nor my daughter was interested so I was only peripherally aware.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I think we might. I'm pretty sure one of the junior highs has a father-daughter dance, but neither my husband nor my daughter was interested so I was only peripherally aware.
I wish my daughter was not interested in EVERY thing that the school puts on.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Okay. Now they can have dances and baseball games that are open to the whole family instead of just half. I don't see a problem with it. The school stopped having the events because it realized they violated Title IX, which it had no authority to change or circumvent. If people are deadset on having dances where only men can dance with girls, or baseball games where only women can attend with boys ... take it to church or a private club or something.

As is pointed out by numerous articles, the brouhaha is old news. It's only coming back up because it's time to elect a new superintendent and one of the nominees is making noise about it.
Are you sure about that? My daughter's college, which had to abide by Title IX, had mother/daughter, mother/son, father/daughter and father/son acitivities. The mother/daughter event I went to was a weekend of M/D activites such as a brunch, a dinner, talks on campus, etc. The father/daughter weekend included a football game.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you sure about that? My daughter's college, which had to abide by Title IX, had mother/daughter, mother/son, father/daughter and father/son acitivities. The mother/daughter event I went to was a weekend of M/D activites such as a brunch, a dinner, talks on campus, etc. The father/daughter weekend included a football game.
No, I'm not sure, but that's what the articles said. I'm pretty certain that at least one of the schools in our district does as well. Maybe they're all breaking the law but no one has complained?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting