Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times

Advertisements

So my friend is having a very tough financial time at the moment. She'll be okay once her DH gets paid, but it's not for 3 more weeks. Her DD's birthday is in a week and she doesn't have even enough to buy a present. Would it be wrong if I found something to send it to her to give her DD? (and she doesn't even have to say where it came from, she can say it's from mom and dad)

I'd rather not ask her, because A) she would say no thanks don't worry; and B) I'm not sure if she would be offended. I know she's sad that she can't give her child a gift, and I wouldn't wanna make her mad.

Honest opinions - how would you feel as the parent?

ETA - DD is gonna be 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
What a kind thought that is. In a wold of selfishness you want to help a friend and a little girl have a better birthday. How wonderful!

Personally, I wouldn't be offended. I'd be touched I had a friend who cared that much about my daughter and me. But if you're worried about that don't go overboard (she may feel she needs to repay you). Pick something you know the girl would like - or a gift card - and send it to the mom with a note: "Mary Lou is such a special little girl, I just wanted to make sure she had a present to open. If you want to tell her it's from Mom and Dad and you think that would help her have a more special birthday that's fine with me. Hugs. I hope we all see better times soon. Love,...."

Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,845 times
if you are concerned how she would react (i.e. you suspect she is proud) then i would suggest you ask her first - let it be her decision whether she accept or not, rather than yours (besides, she might not agree with your present choice!) - you dont actually need this to be a "gift" - she could presumably repay you in 3 weeks time.

if you think she would be offended by you asking her if she wants your help, she is also likely to be offended by you stepping in unasked.

good for you for thinking of your friend and her child, though!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Thank you. I have been thinking about it and do feel I should mention it. I was thinking a Target gift card. It's a store that I know is around, and mom could give DD the card or go pick something for her DD herself.

And this si exactly what I was going to say to my friend - "Mary Lou is such a special little girl, I just wanted to make sure she had a present to open......"

Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM

88,601 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
So my friend is having a very tough financial time at the moment. She'll be okay once her DH gets paid, but it's not for 3 more weeks. Her DD's birthday is in a week and she doesn't have even enough to buy a present. Would it be wrong if I found something to send it to her to give her DD? (and she doesn't even have to say where it came from, she can say it's from mom and dad)

I'd rather not ask her, because A) she would say no thanks don't worry; and B) I'm not sure if she would be offended. I know she's sad that she can't give her child a gift, and I wouldn't wanna make her mad.

Honest opinions - how would you feel as the parent?

ETA - DD is gonna be 10.
You are a good friend. Can you send it anonymously?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 AM

88,601 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Thank you. I have been thinking about it and do feel I should mention it. I was thinking a Target gift card. It's a store that I know is around, and mom could give DD the card or go pick something for her DD herself.

And this si exactly what I was going to say to my friend - "Mary Lou is such a special little girl, I just wanted to make sure she had a present to open......"
This is perfect. I hope you get back your own kindness tenfold.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are a good friend. Can you send it anonymously?
How?

I hope that doesn't sound snarky.

You mean, if I was to get a Target gift card, you mean buy it online and have them send it?

She lives in anoter state, so hand delivering or dropping off is a no.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
That is very kind. I would go with the Target or Walmart card too, that way they can get a gift, and maybe whatever they need.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM

353 posts, read 906,083 times
Why don't you just send the girl a gift from yourself. That way no one is offended, and if she chooses to pretend it's from her- then who cares? If she says it's from you- ok, great. It doesn't matter. Card + Gift Card+ Happy Birthday Child. Love, Friend.

There's no need to bring up anything that could be uncomfortable.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
You sound like a good egg! I think the Target card is a great idea, too. My thought is if she is a close enough friend that you are thinking of doing this for her family, she is a close enough friend to talk to you if she feels offended.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-14-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting