Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM

371 posts, read 556,219 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old daughter has experience with makeup from being in a number of dance recitals. She sometimes sneaks out of the house in the morning wearing some Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper lip gloss (which has a light color, but wears off quickly), a very light amount of pink blush, and tan eye shadow. I guess I should restrict it but actually I have marveled at how nice of a job she does. She doesn't like mascara and was happy to drop out of dance before they started the heavier makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I am curious about one thing, a few posters have mentioned hoping their daughter's don't choose to wear makeup. I don't ever wear makeup, and the few items I owned once upon a time have been commandeered by my daughter. I don't expect my daughter to be a mini-me, so was just wondering why moms thought their daughters should share their dislike of makeup? I honestly don't understand it.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am curious about one thing, a few posters have mentioned hoping their daughter's don't choose to wear makeup. I don't ever wear makeup, and the few items I owned once upon a time have been commandeered by my daughter. I don't expect my daughter to be a mini-me, so was just wondering why moms thought their daughters should share their dislike of makeup? I honestly don't understand it.
Most of those posters are speaking from INEXPERIENCE. Life always perfectly follows your ideas until it actually happens .

You just never know, especially if someones daughter is a girly girl or has a group of friends who are into it or wants to cover blemishes. I HATE when I see people writing about whatever "rule" they are going to create. Rules should be rare, and reserved for important things in life. Makeup is not one of those things and there is no reason to set yourselves up for fights and failures over something lame.

My D loves makeup and has a ton, but has no problem not wearing it either. She can go out with wet hair, no makeup, and a hoodie and won't feel bad about herself but if she wants to do it up then she does. I don't care.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. I have nothing against makeup, I wear it myself. I just want my daughter to take her time and not be in such a rush to grow up. She is a makeup expert, watches Youtube makkeup tutorials and can apply it expertly-better than me and most adults. She is sort of obsessed with it. She owns tons of makup, but my one request is that she not wear it outside. I can't say that is always the case. She will occasionally wear mascara when she goes to her dance class. I think 11.5 yo is too young, but like some of you said I choose my battles. Bottom line, she can't wear makeup to school until 7th grade.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,196 times
I'd say that girls should where makeup when getting all decked out and going somewhere special, out to dinner, school dance, proms, etc.

I see no reason why they need to get all dolled up to go to school.

Maybe a little lipgloss, but that's it

Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,780 times
My daughter's middle school only allows make-up to cover blemishes. I like it this way. I have to say I think many of the girls at this age look better in their natural state than when they wear make-up. When I see middle school students from other schools with make-up, I often think they still look like they are playing dress-up or something. We have a 13-year-old neighbor who wears a lot of make-up. When I finally saw her without it, I thought she looked so much prettier. I don't see a need to rush a 12-year-old to look older and to focus too much on appearance. Most of the girls I see who wear make-up at age 12 are much more focused on appearance than those I see without make-up.

Some of this does depend on how the make-up is applied and what kinds are used. My daughter has learned to apply make-up from her involvement in performing arts, so she has the skill. I will likely allow her to start wearing make-up in high school using this skill so she doesn't look like a makeup mess!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
I personally don't wear makeup aside from lipstick but my daughter loves it and really got into it at school. I started off her 6th grade year by saying "no" however the girls in her school had their little stashes of makeup in their purses and my daughter would always find a way to get her hands on some makeup. When she did eventually get a makeup kit for a birthday, she would overdo it and I would comment on it and make her take some off (can't send my daughter to school looking like a hooker). We fought some intense battles last year but this year, things have settled down.

Fortunately, this year she is learned the trick of subdued makeup (after explaining that less usually looks better). She now expertly applies makeup and looks very pretty. At times, it is hard to tell that she is even wearing makeup but she is.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I think my daughter (12) learned a lesson when she got her school pictures back last week: her cheeks were so pink from blush that she looked really silly. Thank goodness for re-takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting