Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
If a child questions you, is it ever acceptable to use the quote "Because I said so"?
Yes. Why do I think that? Because I said so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never understood the use of "we" when talking to a child.

"If you want to go outside, do your chores." Plain. Simple. To the point. There is no "we" doing the chores. (At least there wasn't in my house.) No games. No doing it together. Games were Monopoly. Doing it together was eating supper and watching TV and going on vacation. That's together. Chores? Solo flying. From a very young age they knew that life involved actual work. Because someday they were going to have a boss that was not named Mom or Dad.

There's a scene in the movie "The Blind Spot" where Sandra Bullock's character is driving her son in her very nice BMW. The kid has his feet up on the dashboard. She says to him, "Get your feet off my dash!!"

I love that scene.

(You want to put your feet up on the dash, Junior? Work hard and save your coins. You can do whatever you like in your car when you are making the payments. "We" do not own the car and I don't need or want dirty footprints on my glovebox .)
Families that do chores together particularly when the children are young (3 to 5) have more success in teaching the children *how* to do the chores.

Perhaps as children get older, chores should be theirs alone, but I always subscribed to the whistle while you work theory (making chores a game) and the theory that companionship while working is a good thing.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Families that do chores together particularly when the children are young (3 to 5) have more success in teaching the children *how* to do the chores.

Perhaps as children get older, chores should be theirs alone, but I always subscribed to the whistle while you work theory (making chores a game) and the theory that companionship while working is a good thing.
When I was growing up my mom gave me chores to do while she did something else, she'd wash clothes, or cook, etc.

So in a sense it is a "we" doing chores because while the child does chores, the mother is doing housework

Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is it EVER an acceptable answer??? Of course it is. Is it what a parent should say most of the time? No.
Exactly this - it's up to the parent - if the parent feels like arguing with the child over every issue, and that's what it can come down to, fine. Some parents don't mind going on for hours over every possible issue -- "dad can I stay out until 4 am?", "No", "why?", "because you need sleep and it's a school night", "no, 3 hours is enough sleep","3 hours isn't enough sleep", "but why not? I feel fine with 3 hours", "well it's not safe for you to be out until 4 am", "why not? We're just going to be playing video games at so-and-so's house or talking", and on and on.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
IMO, I think it's a very authoritarian answer and that most of the time, giving a reason is within reason and shows you respect your child.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
IMO, I think it's a very authoritarian answer and that most of the time, giving a reason is within reason and shows you respect your child.
Great Post.
I often associate the answer "because I said So" to be a lazy parenting answer when parents don't know their reasons or just are to lazy to give one.

I will agree that some times it's an appropriate answer,but not all the times, and should never be used as a first answer.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Great Post.
I often associate the answer "because I said So" to be a lazy parenting answer when parents don't know their reasons or just are to lazy to give one.

I will agree that some times it's an appropriate answer,but not all the times, and should never be used as a first answer.
Your questions might be better understood/received, if you refrained from the "all/never" scenarios. Very very few things in life can be judged using that standard. That includes parenting.

And trust me, once you are actually a parent, you might surprise yourself with what you do that you swore you'd "never" do because you thought it was "lazy parenting".

Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Typically parents use that answer when they've already explained the real answer ad nauseum but the child in question keeps responding "but why". It's not really an answer so much as an indication that the conversation is over with and the child in question would be wise to accept it if he or she understood what was good for him or her.
^This.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Your questions might be better understood/received, if you refrained from the "all/never" scenarios. Very very few things in life can be judged using that standard. That includes parenting.

And trust me, once you are actually a parent, you might surprise yourself with what you do that you swore you'd "never" do because you thought it was "lazy parenting".
You got that right!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
I use it all the time. I usually give some reason for my decisions when warranted, but I'm not going to get into a back and forth after I've made a decision. Actually, most of our texts end with:
Y
biss eod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting