Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM

353 posts, read 802,234 times

Advertisements

I have 3 grandkids. My daughter does not understand the fact that I want to spend time with them without her. For ex, I want to be able to take my 4 year old niece to Disney World (out of town trip), or take my 7 year old nephew to the toy store (local trip). I already spend plenty of time with the grandkids when the parents are around, and that's fine. But the kids act like BRATS when they are with the parents. They behave great when the parents are not around. So often times it's wonderful when I have them and I take them here or there, and the parents are not there. It's like night and day, the behavior.

How do I explain this to a parent without her/them getting insulted? Isn't the whole point of parents allowing loved ones to spend time with their children, so that the kids can have different experiences anyway????

I don't understand why my daughter is so upset. Can someone help me with the phrasing I need to explain this to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I have 3 grandkids. My daughter does not understand the fact that I want to spend time with them without her. For ex, I want to be able to take my 4 year old niece to Disney World (out of town trip), or take my 7 year old nephew to the toy store (local trip). I already spend plenty of time with the grandkids when the parents are around, and that's fine. But the kids act like BRATS when they are with the parents. They behave great when the parents are not around. So often times it's wonderful when I have them and I take them here or there, and the parents are not there. It's like night and day, the behavior.

How do I explain this to a parent without her/them getting insulted?
You don't.

Quote:
Isn't the whole point of parents allowing loved ones to spend time with their children, so that the kids can have different experiences anyway????
That may be YOUR point. We have no way of knowing HER point.

Quote:
I don't understand why my daughter is so upset. Can someone help me with the phrasing I need to explain this to her?
My guess is you are going to have more success listening to HER and what her point is.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
There really isn't much you can do except take what you can and enjoy that to the fullest, that's what I do...the parent will relax more when the children are older, maybe she just worries alot and doesn't want the extra white hairs....maybe just stick with taking them to nearby places where you can enjoy time with them alone, and the mother won't stress.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Yes, I am not sure how to offer advice because I don't know anything about the dynamic you have with your daughter and the rest of your family.

I guess all things being equal, I would say start small and see if you can get one trip to the toy store, library or something like that scheduled.

Maybe have a specific event in mind and say you want to take the grandkid while the mom works or gets some errand done etc.

Don't say anything about their behavior. It should just be about spending time with them.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
You never mentioned how old your daughter is, if she's still a child, then I can see why she's getting mad. YOUR children come first, your job is to spend time with your own children and try your best to make time for the grandkids. You don't take other people's children to Disney world, yet not take your own daughter.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

How do I explain this to a parent without her/them getting insulted? Isn't the whole point of parents allowing loved ones to spend time with their children, so that the kids can have different experiences anyway????

Why don't you ask her what her reason is for not letting you spend time alone with them?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:

Don't some parents have real attachment anxiety, don't like to let their kids go with other people?

I mean if "I would like some one-on-one time" doesn't work, than . . .I dunno, lost cause? I mean its not a crazy request.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I don't know what's wrong with your daughter 'cuz my in-laws are coming for Thanksgiving and we are doing a 2 day trip to Vegas while the grandparents watch them!!!!

Assuming you have a good relationship with your daughter, my guess would be that she is just protective of her children and doesn't feel comfortable leaving her alone ... with anyone. It's no reflection on you but you just have to respect that. Maybe talk to her - in a civil manner no arguments - to find out if that's the case. Or, find out why - again, in a civil manner - and see what it will take to ease her concerns.

Vegas will only be the 2nd time we will be away from DD and the first time she was also with the in-laws for a 36 hr trip. I was hesitant the first time, scared that I wouldn't be there if something happened. It took me months to convince myself it was the right thing to do, that I deserved a day with just me and the hubby. Now, I'm EXCITED and looking forward to some one-on-one with the hubby.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My husband and I don't let the grandmas take our kids without us. Why? MIL used to beat him with hangers and belts, and my mom is the stereotypical absent-minded professor who used to forget me and my sisters everywhere, like in the car, or put us out on the side of the road 5 or 6 miles from home if she was mad, and who still thinks it's okay to slap kids (even mine) across the face if they do something wrong. MIL has a very nice bedroom all done up for our kids, who will never sleep in it. She's always asking to take the kids for a weekend, we always say we're busy. Neither of us wants to tell either grandma that we don't trust them with our kids.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with your family, just sharing our perspective. Possibly your daughter's husband had a rough childhood and worries about leaving the kids with anyone...my husband is like that. Even if my mom were perfect, the kids still wouldn't get to stay there without us.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Sorry, it's just not something you have a say in. They're your daughter's kids, not yours, and it's her prerogative to decide how much time you get to spend with them, where and with whom. You can choose to not spend time with them at all, or to do so under her conditions. Some people don't like leaving their kids with anyone else, for whatever reason. Maybe she has anxiety issues and freaks out whenever the kids are not with her, or simply worries and doesn't enjoy her time away from them - so why would you want to force her into that situation? The only thing you can do is try talking to her about it - nicely, NO accusing or getting offended, and maybe ask her why she doesn't feel comfortable with it. But in the end, you need to accept that this is their family and their call and you forcing the issue will just cause distancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting