Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,626,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is not universally true At All. It depends on your relationship(s). We have no problem with the in-laws.
Lucky you.

I'd say the OP has a big problem with his own mother.

I'm not saying no one should ever use grandparents as sitters. In this situation, using only one, the "good" grandma, will set them up for future problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Is this strange behavior for your mom or just par for the course with her? How old is she? Is she having money problems? Acting weird in other ways?

The whole mall thing seems extremely bizarre to me and I'm wondering if your mom is suffering from some mental health issues that could be age or stress related. I'm not trying to be snarky here, completely serious, this paranoia about no one getting one over on her and not wanting the baby "dumped" on her but then fighting over who gets to watch her just seems like a medical evaluation might be in order.
This. Time to get Mom to the doctor for a check-up. OP you said you don't know where this is coming from. If something is wrong you'll be doing her a huge favor by getting her in, finding out what's causing this behavior, and getting her treatment.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,134,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Lucky you.

I'm not saying no one should ever use grandparents as sitters.
I misunderstood you. I thought this was exactly what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM

17,005 posts, read 16,211,513 times
Is your mom having severe financial problems? I can understand her charging you for an entire day of sitting (I don't think that $50/day is horribly unreasonable btw) but charging you for visiting her with your child or your trips out to the mall together seems really very, very odd.

It's incredibly nice of your MIL to offer free daily babysitting. But I don't know that I would give her a full time job like that without at least some sort of compensation. Maybe you could compromise and offer to split the days between the two women and offer them both $25 or $30/day (still a deal for you, too). If your MIL wants to put her share of the money into a college fund for her grandbaby, that would be her perogative.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,479,938 times
I don't live near family, so I don't have personal experience with this.
I think honestly though, just to avoid hurt feelings, drama, awkwardness,etc... I would put my child in a professional child care environment.
Have your Mom & MIL take turns babysitting for you every once in awhile if you are going out,etc...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,229,766 times
Wow, that is truly crazy. I bet my mom would give money to see more of my kids. I would say that you are tired of her always asking for money, so you will not be "employing" her unless there is an emergency. I would also let her know she is letting money get in the way of your relationship. The mall thing is super crazy, I can't believe she said that. Also, let her know that when she is ready to be your mother again, instead of an employee, you will be happy to get together.

Oh, here is an edit: I would ask my mom if she needs financial support/ Let her know you could loan her money if she is having financial problems. It may make her feel funny, but may help get to the bottom of the issue.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM

442 posts, read 613,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Lucky you.

I'd say the OP has a big problem with his own mother.

I'm not saying no one should ever use grandparents as sitters. In this situation, using only one, the "good" grandma, will set them up for future problems.
I agree with your viewpoint here.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,162,845 times
I don't think it's unreasonable for her to ask for $50/day to watch her grandchild while you are at work BUT I do think it's unreasonable for her to expect you to choose her to do this when you have a cheaper option. I think it's extremely bizarre that she wants to be paid to spend time with her grandchild while you are present.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

17,005 posts, read 16,211,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I think it's extremely bizarre that she wants to be paid to spend time with her grandchild while you are present.
Compensation might be appropriate if the mom is working from home (especially for hours on end) and asking the relative to take over with the child. Technically, compensation could even be appropriate if the mom is asking the relative to watch the child while she takes an hour nap. In cases like that, the mom may be present but the relative is the one who is responsible for caring for the child.

But, otherwise, I agree that it's bizarre for this grandma to expect compensation like that. Bump into grandma at the grocery store with a kid in your cart and watch out - "Cha-ching!" that's gonna cost you.

Last edited by springfieldva; 09-26-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,907,317 times
I paid $50 per day for care in a daycare center, and $30 per day for care in a home daycare. I would expect to pay $30 or less for a grandparent. I guess I expect the grandparent to cost less than outside alternatives.

My MIL watches my neice and they pay her $20 per day, which is a steal for the parents and a little something for MIL's effort. MIL also will babysit for her grandkids on an occasional basis for free. She only asks to be paid for her day-to-day because it is like a full-time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting