Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

My daughter is taking her first overnight field trip with her 5th grade class in November. They have been instructed to bring a change of clothes, PJs, sheets and pillow case, personal items. It also said showers were optional. I'm wondering how many 5th graders are going to shower in front of their peers? i have a feeling most will decline. Also would it be terrible to suggest she just sleep in her clothes and change into fresh clothes the next day to lessen her load? I remember sleeping in my clothes at times like this many years ago.

any other hints about this first adventure? Should I let her leave her retainer here at home or let her take the case. She usually is pretty responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
1. Leave the retainer @ home, 1 day of not using it won't matter. (and you wont have to buy a new one when its lost/broken). She will spend more days with out it waiting for the replement then she would miss from the overnight.

Don't have a girl, but my son @ 5th grade changes with his friends and did sleep over and they sleep in there boxers & t's.

Depending on how the bathroom is layed out (im assuming this is some sort of cabin). Most of the girls wont shower. About 1/2 the boys will. (The varible is how far any of them are into puberty.) Boys want to show that they are off. I'm guessing the shower will be 2x2 stalls with a curtin, most camp showers are setup that way

Send change of cloths, PJ's Etc. She will do fine.... Let her figure it out.....

Use to work in 4th-12th grade sleep/away camp..

For camp they showered (Councler made sure they did). For School / Church groups some did some didn't.

Last edited by flyonpa; 10-03-2012 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
1) Don't overthink it.

2) Let her decide what she'll feel comfortable sleeping in.

3) Depending on the activities they may need a shower, don't freak her out about it. Let her go with the flow.

4) Leave the retainer.

5) She'll have a blast!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Send PJ's, especially if it's going to be cold. Also send tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner, in case all the other girls are showering.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,334 times
Leave the retainer at home. One night won't matter. Send PJs and a little bottle of shampoo and soap. That way she has the option of showering if she wants to but tell her if she doesn't feel like it not to worry.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My daughter is taking her first overnight field trip with her 5th grade class in November. They have been instructed to bring a change of clothes, PJs, sheets and pillow case, personal items. It also said showers were optional. I'm wondering how many 5th graders are going to shower in front of their peers? i have a feeling most will decline. Also would it be terrible to suggest she just sleep in her clothes and change into fresh clothes the next day to lessen her load? I remember sleeping in my clothes at times like this many years ago.

any other hints about this first adventure? Should I let her leave her retainer here at home or let her take the case. She usually is pretty responsible.
Leave the retainer home.
Let her decide if she wants to take a shower.
She's going to have fun.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
She can bring her bathing suit to shower in if she wants to.

Other than that, bring a game (like Uno) to share, a book to read, a favorite snack, change and a flashlight. Those things always seem to come in handy.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM

thanks all for some good ideas. she has some Mongolian birthmarks on her backside which nobody other than family have seen so she is a bit apprehensive about this trip. To most uninformed people they look like bruises. I'm thinking she will probably forego the shower but I will let her decide.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Over 60% of children have Mongolian Spots, so she won't be alone.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM

zim- they seem to occur only 5% or less in full caucasian children but are very prevalent in many other races. There is only 1 other Asian girl in her class and I have been in uncomfortable circumstances with ignorant people regarding people thinking my daughter was bruised. A nursery worker in our former church actually spoke to the pastor about our newly adopted child's "horrible bruises" on her backside. And when I tried to educate them both i was accused of trying to hide something terrible. So my abundance of caution is well founded.

http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...ongolian-spots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting