Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,821,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Spare me on the stereotyping garbage, ok? Ever watch any SUCCESSFUL sitcoms with overbearing Italian or Jewish mothers? There you have it.

Mother was in her sixties.
Daughter was about 25 (and indiscreet)
Son was anywhere from 18 (end of HS) to 21 (most of the way through college) - I don't know the age difference between the kids.
The mother asked. The daughter talked about it.

The contextual "glue" is that she is brazen and obnoxious. I'm sorry for the candor. I think it helps explain why she asked. She doesn't have the depth to understand anybody's moods, because she's too busy talking over people. I don't think this kid showed any mood disorders or whatnot. He was down-to-earth and how he talked, dressed, and conducted himself did not in any way garner attention. Supposedly, he spent too much time getting ready - hygiene, hair, etc., but that's about it.
The problem seems to be with the mother not asking for the right reason/in the right manner/at the right time. But your subject line implies that no parent should ever ask this question. I would hope that a parent and child WOULD discuss sexuality much earlier than college age. I would not directly ask my child if he/she were gay, but I would tell them if they were it would be absolutely fine with me.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,179 times
I don't see the big deal. I think it's always healthier to put things out on the table than avoid them. She was curious and asked. If he isn't all he has to do is say, "no". If he is, it gives him an opportunity to be upfront. No biggie. Your anger is far more interesting imo.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM

22,239 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I don't see the big deal. I think it's always healthier to put things out on the table than avoid them. She was curious and asked. If he isn't all he has to do is say, "no". If he is, it gives him an opportunity to be upfront. No biggie. Your anger is far more interesting imo.

Agreed, especially with the bolded part.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Anyone can ask someone else any question, there is always the option to not answer.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
One of your parents told you that a woman told them that her parents asked her brother if he was gay. So at this point it's thirdhand hearsay? How do you have any idea how the conversation went down? I can't say with any conviction what I think about your parents' friend's mom.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,680,677 times
Quote:
There is a woman my parents know. She is of their ethnicity. She is the stereotypical steamroller and her husband is a doormat, weak chin and all. She has some daughters and, at the end of the line, a son.

One of the daughters, shortly after finishing college, declared that the mother asked the son if he was gay. This means he was either midway through college, or toward the end of high school. He denied it.

This woman is obtuse, pushy and oblivious to the ramifications of her actions. I disliked her when I first met her because I dislike loud and pushy people. If they had a sense of humor, they might be somewhat tolerable. She doesn't have that. Everyone I know tolerates her, but does not really like her.

What do you think of her asking this question to her son? Does it have any psychological ramifications? I feel sorry for her son. I don't feel sorry for her husband. He knew what he was getting.

I get that you might not ask your child, but she decided to, so who is to say she is wrong for doing so or not?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times
Quote:
There is a woman my parents know. She is of their ethnicity. She is the stereotypical steamroller and her husband is a doormat, weak chin and all. She has some daughters and, at the end of the line, a son.

One of the daughters, shortly after finishing college, declared that the mother asked the son if he was gay. This means he was either midway through college, or toward the end of high school. He denied it.

This woman is obtuse, pushy and oblivious to the ramifications of her actions. I disliked her when I first met her because I dislike loud and pushy people. If they had a sense of humor, they might be somewhat tolerable. She doesn't have that. Everyone I know tolerates her, but does not really like her.

What do you think of her asking this question to her son? Does it have any psychological ramifications? I feel sorry for her son. I don't feel sorry for her husband. He knew what he was getting.
Judgemental much? You don't like the woman, so you don't approve of her question to her son. You don't know what her son thinks, but you don't approve. She's not your friend, she's your mother's friend, but you don't approve.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
Quote:
An obnoxious fat southern Italian immigrant for whom this is her only son. ..... Very working class and very crass to boot.
Any judge worth his salt would throw this out of court for being prejudicial.

Can't answer your question. It's obvious you dislike this woman, and seem to have contempt for her, so it's too hard to ferret out the truth and be able to make any kind of decision on what she did.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,056,257 times
How else are you going to find out if you don't ask?

Oh, and btw, nice going acting like being gay is some kind of insult.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,586,156 times
Quote:
An obnoxious fat southern Italian immigrant for whom this is her only son. I think it was concern and definitely not a fashion statement. She's not an artist living looking over the ocean north of San Francisco. Very working class and very crass to boot.
Perhaps it was a round about way of asking, "How long will you be living at home?" Traditionally Italian men don't leave the home until they are married. If he's gay, he might be tied to mom's apron strings forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.