Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If the OP believes that her nieces are in danger, she absolutely should step in and ensure their safety.

The OP would be making a report based on things she has heard from relatives about what this child has said/done. The OP hasn't seen/heard many of these details with her own eyes/ears, what she knows about the situation she has gotten from other people. The lack of firsthand knowledge on the OP's part makes the picture a little more fuzzy than a first hand account would be - at least to me. But again, the OP is the one close to the situation, she should consider her sources and go with her gut on this.
The OP's responsibility to this child is to report her suspicions. It is the job of CPS to determine if abuse has occurred or not. You don't need proof - just reasonable suspicions.

Please report this. The child is seeking help by telling adults. Don't let her down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The OP's responsibility to this child is to report her suspicions. It is the job of CPS to determine if abuse has occurred or not. You don't need proof - just reasonable suspicions.

Please report this. The child is seeking help by telling adults. Don't let her down.
If the OP has *reasonable suspicions* she should step in. I never said that she needed proof.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 AM

63 posts, read 75,580 times
Your reality is clearly not mine or anyone one else's i know or don't know who has told of their experience with CPS, DCF and I have had the privilege to hear or read about it.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 AM

63 posts, read 75,580 times
My point exactly. Neither does CPS/DCF require proof. All they need is an accusation from anyone. The person gets to remain anonymous and there are NO reprocussions if later down the long torturous road, after lives have been irrepairably ripped apart, the party is found to be innocent. Be very very careful about your 'reasonable' suspicions. Once you open THIS pandora's box, there's no closing it. The children suffer the most when there isn't firm measurable actual abuse.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Call CPS, they will investigate and follow up on the case as required. They don't just march in and grab the children.

Trust your gut, do what is right for the children, they will carry their childhood into adulthood and should not have to live in a toxic enviornment.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprazhm View Post
My point exactly. Neither does CPS/DCF require proof. All they need is an accusation from anyone. The person gets to remain anonymous and there are NO reprocussions if later down the long torturous road, after lives have been irrepairably ripped apart, the party is found to be innocent. Be very very careful about your 'reasonable' suspicions. Once you open THIS pandora's box, there's no closing it. The children suffer the most when there isn't firm measurable actual abuse.
Sigh. Also not true. Yes, anonymous reports can be made. Whether CPS opens an investigation based on the report is another question entirely. CPS as a system is overtaxed. Not every report turns into an investigation and not every investigation turns into removing the child from the home. I am sure there have been times when children were removed, only to find that the alleged perpetrator was innocent. I know for a fact from my own experience that there are times when a child has not been removed from the home based on a single report and the alleged perpetrator continued the abuse. The system ain't perfect, but it behooves us all to deal in facts and not in hysteria. And of course, one should not make frivolous reports to CPS. If the OP feels she has reasonable suspicion, she should make the call.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
The system ain't perfect, but it behooves us all to deal in facts and not in hysteria. And of course, one should not make frivolous reports to CPS. If the OP feels she has reasonable suspicion, she should make the call.
Yes . Exactly.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Indeed...We are all mandated reporters of child abuse. If it were my nieces I would have been on the phone immediately to report what the child said. To not report is a great error. The step-father upon hearing this child say this should have reported it immediately. Since the Aunt is the one posting, hopefully she will. Hoping the OP will update.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
SKirk2012...do you think you could ask your sister if you could have your neices stay with you for a bit?...if you think your sister is being abused as well, she might welcome your taking the children, as might her boyfriend....it's very, very sad when a terrified 4 year old asks for help, and gets none....the 2 year olds nightmares also tell of a need for HELP...I think meme knows more than she's saying (sorry), either that or the 4 year old was told by your sister and her fiancee NOT to say anything to her OR ELSE...I'm actually feeling very frustrated that your neices are still in danger and living with such great fear...PLEASE, PLEASE believe this little girl, she's not making it up...PLEASE save her and her little sister, or it'll only get worse.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There is no way for the OP to know for an absolute certainty what is going on in that house. But I agree, if her gut tells her that her nieces are in danger she should act on their behalf.
You're right, but when a 2 year old starts having nightmares, and a 4 year old is terrified, you KNOW it can't be good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting