Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
As has been noted before, the cultural group with the highest rate of spanking in the US is the same group that happens to have the highest incarceration rate. The cultural group with the lowest rate of spanking in the US is the same group that happens to have the lowest incarceration rate. Whilst it is not morally or ethically possible to perform a study involving hitting some children and not others to empirically determine a causation... the association is more than striking.
Plenty could be said about the differentials in incarceration rates before we even arrived in the same room as the spanking variable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Plenty could be said about the differentials in incarceration rates before we even arrived in the same room as the spanking variable.
But you cannot deny that spanking comes first in life - before the incarceration.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
But you cannot deny that spanking comes first in life - before the incarceration.
So does identification by, eh, "cultural group."

Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
So does identification by, eh, "cultural group."
Not to mention that "cultural group" has many other factors that may account for the high incarceration rate. So using that as an anti spank argument is really grasping at straws.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:39 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
Oh give me a break with half of these posts. Like Anongirl said I think, a quick slap on your butt gets your attention. I'm not talking about pulling a kid into a room and beating them or slapping them with a belt until the kid has welts. I always got a quick slap on my butt from my grandpa when I was disrespectful to him as a kid or backtalked. And yes, I knew it was coming, would run and cover my butt with my hands, but I got a quick slap and it stopped the behavior. No, I was not "abused."

My mother and grandma went to Catholic schools with nuns who would crack you over the hand with a ruler, and guess what, they kids learned and RESPECTED adult authority figures. Are all these kids hermits now rocking back and forth in their rooms or ALL in jail. Come on now. I grew up around mostly Italians who would hit their kids would wooden spoons or for the really fresh mouthed kids wash your mouth out with soap. Still don't consider this abusive. Now doing this to anyone under the age of 3-4, yeah that's abusive. I'm not going to slap a babies behind for crying.

These are all my opinions, and I have a masters degree. I'm not typing from my jail cell. It reminds me of the 7 year old brat, and I use that term quite often too, who I had the displeasure if teaching for a few weeks. The pure disrespect and back talk to me the teacher from "I'm going to call you what I like. I'm not doing your work. My DAD said your idea of collecting supplies is stupid" without a doubt came right from mommy and daddy who probably afraid to discipline poor johnny at home and the clear message was you treat adults however you feel. I would have the fear of God in me if a teacher EVER corrected me in school. Actually, they rarely ever did bc I was taught respect for teachers at home and the thought of ever having a bad report sent home about me, I would be petrified. Not today. You can't even correct a kids homework with a red pen anymore bc "Oh, the red pen will hurt Susie's feelings and bring down her self esteem." You need to use a black pen bc that helps...

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post

My mother and grandma went to Catholic schools with nuns who would crack you over the hand with a ruler, and guess what, they kids learned and RESPECTED adult authority figures. Are all these kids hermits now rocking back and forth in their rooms or ALL in jail. Come on now. I grew up around mostly Italians who would hit their kids would wooden spoons or for the really fresh mouthed kids wash your mouth out with soap. Still don't consider this abusive. Now doing this to anyone under the age of 3-4, yeah that's abusive. I'm not going to slap a babies behind for crying.
No, the kids did not RESPECT those nuns. They may have feared them, but that is not the same as respect. I went to Catholic school for kindergarten and 1st grade. Kindergarten was fine - we had a lovely nun who hugged us and never hit us. There were 60 children in that class. In first grade, there were 65 kids in the class. On my first day, I was writing my name in the flyleaf of my books (we bought them, you know, so this was a good idea). The nun came around and said "What are you doing?" I said, writing my name in my books. She smacked my hand with the ruler. I got up and ran out of the room and went home (I lived only a block from the school). My dad went to the school and I don't know what he said, but they never hit me again and the following year I was in public school for 2nd grade.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, the kids did not RESPECT those nuns. They may have feared them, but that is not the same as respect. I went to Catholic school for kindergarten and 1st grade. Kindergarten was fine - we had a lovely nun who hugged us and never hit us. There were 60 children in that class. In first grade, there were 65 kids in the class. On my first day, I was writing my name in the flyleaf of my books (we bought them, you know, so this was a good idea). The nun came around and said "What are you doing?" I said, writing my name in my books. She smacked my hand with the ruler. I got up and ran out of the room and went home (I lived only a block from the school). My dad went to the school and I don't know what he said, but they never hit me again and the following year I was in public school for 2nd grade.
I went to Catholic school too. From K on, even my college was a Catholic University. We didn't have nuns though. But we had strict teachers and I can't think of one kid in my class who ever questioned or answered back a teacher. Now, forget about it. And maybe you didn't respect your nuns, but according to my family, they did. I'm not saying you need to hit kids in order to get respect, but more like bringing out a point how some of society wants you to cadoodle your kids now a days.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Oh give me a break with half of these posts. Like Anongirl said I think, a quick slap on your butt gets your attention. I'm not talking about pulling a kid into a room and beating them or slapping them with a belt until the kid has welts. I always got a quick slap on my butt from my grandpa when I was disrespectful to him as a kid or backtalked. And yes, I knew it was coming, would run and cover my butt with my hands, but I got a quick slap and it stopped the behavior. No, I was not "abused."

These are all my opinions, and I have a masters degree. I'm not typing from my jail cell. It reminds me of the 7 year old brat, and I use that term quite often too, who I had the displeasure if teaching for a few weeks. The pure disrespect and back talk to me the teacher from "I'm going to call you what I like. I'm not doing your work. My DAD said your idea of collecting supplies is stupid" without a doubt came right from mommy and daddy who probably afraid to discipline poor johnny at home and the clear message was you treat adults however you feel. I would have the fear of God in me if a teacher EVER corrected me in school. Actually, they rarely ever did bc I was taught respect for teachers at home and the thought of ever having a bad report sent home about me, I would be petrified. Not today. You can't even correct a kids homework with a red pen anymore bc "Oh, the red pen will hurt Susie's feelings and bring down her self esteem." You need to use a black pen bc that helps...
My mother was raised in a convent....the last thing she respects are nuns to thus day. She feared and hates them....the biggest threat of my childhood was to be sent a way to the nuns.

Respect? Not on your life. she tells stories of taking beatings for her younger sisters. She only hit me once...I was 3 and ran across a road and scared her...I would not go near her for days afterwards and she never did it again...it was my father that gave the spankings for what ever reason he felt like....and I pretty much loathe him for a variety of reasons...that just being one.

Hitting a child does not lead to respect.. quick trying to fool yourself and everyone else.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Yeah...no.

People don't respect their abusers.

Don't take compliance in the face of threatened violence as respect.

That is as juvenile as a 13 year old gangbanger thinking having a gun gets him respect.

Both look like idiots who can't handle the power they wield.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
black squad who burned to death jessica chambers in panola ms did not get spanked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting