Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM

448 posts, read 685,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
The child shouldn't be taken away. However, if you assault a person/child in a public place, please believe that the probability of the police becoming involved increases. When police get involved, stuff happens. Your friend should have known that. If she didn't, why would she be considered a responsible parent?

No, your friend slapped a child in a public train station. That is not something a responsible parent does. Would Dr. Huxtable slap Trudy upside the head while waiting for the 4/5? No, he wouldn't, because he is a good parent and knows that slapping a defenseless kid in a public setting is going to bring heat on the situation.
Are u bringing up a FICTIONAL TV dad?

Again, growing up, MANY kids got popped in the grocery store or the resturant, when they acted up. ACS was nowhere in sight. Fast foward a decade, now u cant even raise your voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 PM

175 posts, read 352,892 times
Yes, I am bringing up a fictional tv dad because that character personifies the qualities (educated, loving, posseses self control) of parent who is not arrested for slapping a child while waiting for a train.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 PM

24 posts, read 47,703 times
If you want people to mind their own business, than maybe your friend should have waited to discipline the child at home, IN PRIVATE, not in public.

Just sayin...

Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

448 posts, read 685,048 times
Quote:
Yes, I am bringing up a fictional tv dad because that character personifies the qualities (educated, loving, posseses self control) of parent who is not arrested for slapping a child while waiting for a train.
So now if you pop your child, you are not educated or loving?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Ah, I think we can agree to disagree. I was describing the type of person who could convince another person to agree or comply without resorting to threats of physical harm.

And this isn't just about kids either. I wouldn't hit my lover of the day either, even though she sometimes does things that irritate me like making me travel from Brooklyn to Queens through the city. I wouldn't slap my sister, even though she dinted my car door by opening it into a light pole. Generally speaking, I would say that someone who instantaneously reacts with violence toward a weaker individual is not very educated or loving, but that's just me.

You and I both want the same thing but we have different ways of getting there. C'est la vie

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Children need to be spanked and disciplined if they did something wrong, and it
should be done from young age and do it at home instead of the public. It's not
done to harm or embarrass the children in front of other people, but teach them
the proper way to behave in the privacy of your own home.

But you have to start doing it from young age, it's too late if you wait till they
are older and acting out when they are already in their rebellious teen years, it's
not going to work anymore. One of my mother's friend crying on the phone to
my mother when her husband trying to discipline their spoiled brat teen son, (they
treat their son like Sméagol with his precious) The one time they are trying to be
serious with their son, the brat call Child Abuse Service on them. The father got
arrested, don't know what happen later though. They should've crash that brat.....
err...... I meant disciplined him how to behave when he was younger.

My parents used to have one of those long wooden handle old fashioned
dust cleaner hanging in the dining room, and it's not used for cleaning dust.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Children need to be spanked and disciplined if they did something wrong, and it
should be done from young age and do it at home instead of the public. It's not
done to harm or embarrass the children in front of other people, but teach them
the proper way to behave in the privacy of your own home.

But you have to start doing it from young age, it's too late if you wait till they
are older and acting out when they are already in their rebellious teen years, it's
not going to work anymore. One of my mother's friend crying on the phone to
my mother when her husband trying to discipline their spoiled brat teen son, (they
treat their son like Sméagol with his precious) The one time they are trying to be
serious with their son, the brat call Child Abuse Service on them. The father got
arrested, don't know what happen later though. They should've crash that brat.....
err...... I meant disciplined him how to behave when he was younger.

My parents used to have one of those long wooden handle old fashioned
dust cleaner hanging in the dining room, and it's not used for cleaning dust.
My wife tells me of her Jamaican mom and grandmother chasing her around with shoes, coat hangers, what ever came to hand.

I personally was spanked sometimes but not often...when it happened, it counted for something!

I believe very strongly that kids need to be taught proper behavior and respect from an early age, but I'm not so sure that corporal punishment is the best way to do this. I'm not totally decided though, and if someone else chooses to discipline their children in this way, more power to them.

Oddly I remember having a good deal of fear and respect for my father, although he rarely laid a hand on me. When he got "that look" in his eye, that was enough.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Any of my friends that got spanked grew up to be good people. I got spanked too. Getting a love tap from your parents isnt abuse, even though NYC liberals would have you believe it is. Kids are more hooked on drugs now then ever before. Why is that, ? Because they have been overpraised, overcoddled, and told how great they are. It's really sad what society is coming to. Timeout is just afor spineless parents who dont want to properly discipline their kids. That liberal think tank the American Association of Pediatrics came out 15 years ago and said to never touch your kids and constantly praise them. That advice has created a generation of unmotivated, lazy, entitlement minded kids who do drugs because theyve never had to deal with reality or be held accountable so they run to the drugs when the going gets tough. We are doomed.

Reps man I agree with all of this!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Ah, I think we can agree to disagree. I was describing the type of person who could convince another person to agree or comply without resorting to threats of physical harm.

And this isn't just about kids either. I wouldn't hit my lover of the day either, even though she sometimes does things that irritate me like making me travel from Brooklyn to Queens through the city. I wouldn't slap my sister, even though she dinted my car door by opening it into a light pole. Generally speaking, I would say that someone who instantaneously reacts with violence toward a weaker individual is not very educated or loving, but that's just me.

You and I both want the same thing but we have different ways of getting there. C'est la vie
I can't rep. you again but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Hitting your child demonstrates that it's all right for people to hit people, and especially for big people to hit little people, and stronger people to hit weaker people.
Children learn that when you have a problem you solve it with a good smack on the head. A child whose behavior is controlled by spanking is likely to carry on this mode of interaction into other relationships with siblings and peers, and eventually a spouse and offspring.
It's a dangerous slippery slope, if you asked me.

And for the record, as a child I was spanked less than a handful of times.
I was not traumatized by it, but at the end of the day I don't think it was an effecttive way to discipline me.
But when my mom took away my TV or didn't allow me to play with friends for a week, I was MUCH MORE affected than when she spanked me on the buttocks.

In any case, I'm breaking away from that 'family tradition', and I will be disciplining my children in a non-physical way.
Evolution is a beautiful thing.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
My wife tells me of her Jamaican mom and grandmother chasing her around with shoes, coat hangers, what ever came to hand.

I personally was spanked sometimes but not often...when it happened, it counted for something!

I believe very strongly that kids need to be taught proper behavior and respect from an early age, but I'm not so sure that corporal punishment is the best way to do this. I'm not totally decided though, and if someone else chooses to discipline their children in this way, more power to them.

Oddly I remember having a good deal of fear and respect for my father, although he rarely laid a hand on me. When he got "that look" in his eye, that was enough.
I think you make a really important point - two parent households, where the father can give you the look that says "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out". The stare says everything. Even if the parents weren't together, having the father present in the child's life makes a huge difference on so many levels. Could just be me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting