Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times

Advertisements

Spanking. Many of us were raised being disciplined with spanking as children when we were being disciplined for doing something wrong. What I don't understand is why some people think spanking counts as "abuse." Isn't the definition abuse supposed to be related to beating children for no good reason? So why is it that something that was considered "discipline" in the past is now "abuse" to some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
I do not consider it either really. In my view violence of any kind is where humans turn when they have failed to find an intellectual or peaceful means of resolving a situation... or are simply too lazy to even try.

So for me I would not rank spanking as either discipline or abuse, I would rank it merely as a personal failing in parenting skills.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
I agree with Nozz. I don't even think of spanking as a last resort/when all else fails sort of option. It's purely punishment and sets up a 'bad' dynamic instead of being instructive or rehabilitative in some way.

Of course, there are degrees of what someone considers to be spanking. I'm assuming the OP is talking about the across the lap wallop spanking - not a quick light tap on the hand or butt to swat a kid away from danger or a fresh batch of cookies.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
It's purely punishment and sets up a 'bad' dynamic instead of being instructive or rehabilitative in some way.
How easy it is to spot the adults whose parents never set up a "bad" dynamic when they were kids.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
How easy it is to spot the adults whose parents never set up a "bad" dynamic when they were kids.
Are you suggesting that kids who aren't spanked grow up to be well adjusted adults with strong critical thinking skills? And no, I don't think there's a direct correlation either way - but I do think spanking is unnecessary.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
The whole key to us was - spanking is a last resort, capital punishment for behavior that will not stop.

My kids learned early on the "1-2-3's". If they were misbehaving, I would say, "1". That meant to shut up and settle down. If I got to "2" I was usually standing, hands on hips. If I got to "3" (rarely!) it meant that someone was going to get spanked, they were about to 'decide' who by their behavior.

Parents who endlessly repeat themselves, "Tommy sit down Tommy shush Tommy don't do that Tommy sit down TommyTommyTOMMY!" get on my nerves. Tommy has no respect for them, their repetitiveness has no effect on him, it's like white noise, and he already knows that he can do as he pleases without any consequences. For our children, there were always consequences - if you don't finish your dinner, you get no dessert, if you don't clean your room you don't get to go outside and play with your friends (they had no electronic devices or TVs in their rooms to mindlessly entertain them). They made their choices and learned from them - that choices have consequences - in a protected environment. An insistence on repetitive bad behavior brought on capital punshment.

We rarely spanked, but when we did, it was without anger, without passion, without screaming. It was, "Fine, you don't want to behave, you don't want to listen, this is the consequence of your choices." I had one child who said that he would never ever go to jail for anything - because he knew that I would walk into the jailhouse, smiling and being friendly with everyone, shaking hands and hugging, then walk into his cell and dispassionately beat the crap out of him.

Our children and fosters rarely made it past "2". And today they are healthy adults who understand that there are consequences for their actions, and that they are neither entitled nor oppressed, except as a result of their own efforts or lack thereof.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I do not consider it either really. In my view violence of any kind is where humans turn when they have failed to find an intellectual or peaceful means of resolving a situation... or are simply too lazy to even try.
You say this as if a three-year-old can be intellectually reasoned with.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Parents who endlessly repeat themselves, "Tommy sit down Tommy shush Tommy don't do that Tommy sit down TommyTommyTOMMY!" get on my nerves. Tommy has no respect for them, their repetitiveness has no effect on him, it's like white noise, and he already knows that he can do as he pleases without any consequences.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You say this as if a three-year-old can be intellectually reasoned with.
If it were my intention to say that, I most likely would have. I was more referring to the failure on ones part to intellectually find a better resolution to a situation before turning to violence. Intellectually reasoning directly with the child is only one such solution. There are others. I merely think that violence is the recourse we turn to when the intellect has failed to find (or to even try to find) a resolution that works.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,129 times
If you think spanking is bad, check out the other thread about whipping your kid with a belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting