Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,875,036 times

Advertisements

Me personally, I was always scared of sex as a teenager. Not the physical act of it, but the preparation that went in to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,998,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Me personally, I was always scared of sex as a teenager. Not the physical act of it, but the preparation that went in to it.
Sex wasn't an option for me in HS. I had a bf for over a year and we did a lot but there was no question about sex, it wasn't going to happen. When I was out of HS and working I had a couple more bf's and when I had one who I knew was getting serious I moved out, went to the DR and got BC, then he spent the night. I'm not a genius but I've always been a forward thinker and knew what I could/couldn't get away with to keep me out of trouble.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sex wasn't an option for me in HS. I had a bf for over a year and we did a lot but there was no question about sex, it wasn't going to happen. When I was out of HS and working I had a couple more bf's and when I had one who I knew was getting serious I moved out, went to the DR and got BC, then he spent the night. I'm not a genius but I've always been a forward thinker and knew what I could/couldn't get away with to keep me out of trouble.
When I was a teenager, I found it difficult for me to be alone with girls without shaking, in a way, I still do today as an adult.
I did have a few girlfriends in high-school, and a few of them wanted to have sex. I just couldn't. My relgion, morals and me just couldn't allow it.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM

4,355 posts, read 4,197,231 times
Most of these posts assume that the teens are heterosexual so contraception and pregnancy are issues. What about gay kids? Since there is no chance that a pregnancy will result, does that make a difference? At what age should a teen be able to make a decision about whether a same-sex relationship is preferable to those of the opposite sex?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,598,120 times
personally i think kids in hs who ***** around have serious self-esteem issues. They're using sex (and quasi-"relationships" in general) to fill a void. I feel kids' lives should be filled with enough activities and studies that it preoccupies them & saps all their energy. When you've got lots of down time it's easy to turn to partying or hooking-up to pass the boredom.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Most of these posts assume that the teens are heterosexual so contraception and pregnancy are issues. What about gay kids? Since there is no chance that a pregnancy will result, does that make a difference? At what age should a teen be able to make a decision about whether a same-sex relationship is preferable to those of the opposite sex?
My standpoint on the whole issue is not preventing them. I honestly don't support teenagers having sex, but if they are, I'd rather know that they were, then them do it behind my back.
Same with gays.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,819,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I think that is a really difficult question. I don't think that early (let's say under age 16) physical intimacy is good for kids regardless of whether it is opposite/same gender intimacy. If I had a child who was homosexual I could accept that, however, there are added social issues that come with being openly gay in high school. I would want to discuss the social aspects of being openly gay with my kids. Honestly, I would be worried about those issues. Homosexuality is not a big deal to me but it can be very difficult for an openly gay child to function in some high schools.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM

72 posts, read 104,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

If you want to argue that cool indifference towards teenage behavior that exposes them to STDs, unwanted pregnancies, emotional trauma, and relationship pathologies is good parenting, be my guest.
STDs and unwanted-pregnancy is an issue for legal adults as well. STDs for the obvious(can yet them at any age) and some couples can't afford multiply kids. Though I don't think those couples should stop having sex after having a few kids and can't afford another. Emotional trauma only happens to young teens(14 and below) as the average age of sexual activeness starts at 16.

Last edited by DevilMayhem666; 10-13-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,643,943 times
Wow, I am showing my libertarian here but my daughter having sex never worried me. By the time she was interested enough to date she was mature enough to deal with sex. She was just one month shy of 17 when she had sex but if she had gone earlier I don't think it would have made a big difference.

I think DATING is just as distracting and fraught with "trouble" for many girls as sex is. Obviously, I am speaking in generalities but as a group girls got far more distracted from school, friends and other activities by boys than my male students did by girls. Even the ones not having sex. Which is why I made it very clear my daughter was not allowed to date until she was about 16 1/2. Not even group dates.

But I let her know that sexual desire and the need for sexual gratification is a normal, healthy thing and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her "taking care of business" herself. I think more parents should remind their teens that they can also make themselves feel good. It might nip in the bud some of the seeking of sexual gratification by others.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,056,279 times
My moral and religious beliefs entirely exclude the idea of most teenage sex, which is fornication and hence immoral.

I also believe that the media, particularly that which appeals to teens, is way too sexualized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting