Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What is indeed "EPIC", is the LACK OF PARENTING that's spread like the plague here in the US.
What's keeping you here? The longer you remain here, the more you risk having your daughter corrupted by US culture and exposed to all those who were badly parented and they could influence her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
My daughter, the almost 8 year old, asked me for an ipad and an iphone for xmas!??
She is acting, or trying too, like a teen already....she will have a lot of reasoning to do with me as to "WHY" she needs a Facebook page, and give me a very good reason in order to get into social media anytime before 18...which she won't have, because frankly "I" even see no good reason for it other than for advertising a business. The only "reason" I even have a Facebook page is because I am in the US, and most of my high school buddies, former colleagues, and friends etc are in Europe, and Canada, and that is how we keep in touch...I even have her do little skits for them...as we all share what our kids do these days, but for my friends here I see literally no reason to communicate through Facebook when we're all here, and can just see each other or call.

My kids are really busy like I said already with things to do outside the house, dance classes, swimming etc, there is no time left in the day between homework, and other activities to waste time on electronics. Plus, we do encourage play dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why I think teaching proper use is better -- but to each his/her own. Also it's easy to insist that you know all about parenting when your child is only 8 years old. Sometimes it seems so easy and the parent believes that a 13 year old or 16 year old will be just the same as the child is at age 8.

I agree an 8 year old should not be in chat rooms or have a fb page -- I have no issue at all with that, I wouldn't allow it either and I doubt most 8 years would be interested. And not all teenagers are even that interested in social media but I know my brother who was the most adament against it has a daughter that's now in middle school and he's relented and decided to monitor and guide instead of outright forbid.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
My daughter, the almost 8 year old, asked me for an ipad and an iphone for xmas!??
She is acting, or trying too, like a teen already....she will have a lot of reasoning to do with me as to "WHY" she needs a Facebook page, and give me a very good reason in order to get into social media anytime before 18...which she won't have, because frankly "I" even see no good reason for it other than for advertising a business. The only "reason" I even have a Facebook page is because I am in the US, and most of my high school buddies, former colleagues, and friends etc are in Europe, and Canada, and that is how we keep in touch...I even have her do little skits for them...as we all share what our kids do these days, but for my friends here I see literally no reason to communicate through Facebook when we're all here, and can just see each other or call.

My kids are really busy like I said already with things to do outside the house, dance classes, swimming etc, there is no time left in the day between homework, and other activities to waste time on electronics. Plus, we do encourage play dates.
I don't disagree with you regarding FB for young kids, but if your own continue to be involved in sports and other activities, you will most likely find the coaches frequently using FB as the most efficient way to communicate with the team. You could have your own account listed as the contact, but then the kids don't learn how to manage their own schedules. You have a couple of years yet before it may become an issue, but I think it's better to see the benefits of FB and set parameters for it's use.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

There is a lot to do outside Facebook, and other social media crap, you should try it sometimes.
Hmmm... My children (who are grown) have been trying to convince me to get ON Facebook. As has my husband who uses it for business purposes and to keep up with old buddies. I think he's a little tired of me peeking over his shoulder to see what all the fuss is about.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Social media/technology are not good things or bad things. Like any tools they can be used well or inapprpriately. Parents who either don't care or aren't concerned enough (or are too fearful) to teach their children how to appropriately and safely use the tools in front of them are missing out on the bigger picture in my opinion. That picture is that those things are here and will be part of your child's life at some point. Would you avoid teaching your child anything about cars (from driving, basic auto care and even to look both ways as a pedestrian) because of the alarming statistics on automobile related fatalities? There is more safey in education, awareness and communication. Age appropriate of course.....

**ETA says the mom (of adult children) who was the very last one in the family on FB (my parents beat me on) and still rarely goes on and almost never ever posts....not really my cup of tea but I do get that it is here to stay....

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM

524 posts, read 843,773 times
Epic

Old 11-04-2012, 03:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG! Like it's so terrible to not drink and be a virgin! Totally! :smack :
I'm saying shes delusional to think she is going to be able to keep her kids from getting Facebook after the day they turn 18.
She's probably also delusional enough to think she'll be able to keep them from drinking and havig sex as long as she would like to.

Never said anything was wrong with it just that this woman was delusional and probably thoughts befouled keep her kids from that stuff too.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
LOL @ people who use FB being called trailer trash. Ah well, been called worse.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Pretty simple, I use the only computer in the house for work. For one, second they use the computer in my presence, and I have pretty good re-search skills, so i will find out if they opened up a page on someone's computer. But I usually teach my kids to associate with kids with the same values, and not trailer trash with no manners. Sorry, we value things that are more important than Facebook. I realize how this must be hard to believe.

AND, besides that I choose to communicate effectively, and explain the pitfalls of getting into such trap. My kids have homework to do, and a lot of things outside the house, there is no time to sit on the computer wasting time like that.

There is a lot to do outside Facebook, and other social media crap, you should try it sometimes.

It's very very easy to have a Facebook page without your parents knowing. They don't have to use their real name. If they really want to do it, it can be done. Plus you don't need to be on it 24/7 to maintain it.

That's not a criticism of your decision BTW, just saying that it is not so easy to dictate what your kids will do. And once they get to college? Forget it. LOL

Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
OK, I have never heard this before, nor do I think it makes any sense what so ever! Kids need "Facebook" to learn schedules? you're kidding! How did people survive and got to work on time before Facebook (circa 2004)? I have a wall schedule, on a dry and erase board, I taught my kids schedules since they were born, and I also had them sleep through the night by 6 weeks "thanks" to scheduling their feedings. I am sorry but I see no benefit to use FB as a "teaching scheduling tool"! Good that we're not into football/baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You could have your own account listed as the contact, but then the kids don't learn how to manage their own schedules. You have a couple of years yet before it may become an issue, but I think it's better to see the benefits of FB and set parameters for it's use.
I think people are lenient towards allowing their kids to use FB at these rates because it is easier than go to a museum, a theater play, a park, a play date and so on. I LOVE technology, my kids know my computer in and out, they've been on learning games, and other educational tools since they were 2, but regarding Social Media of any sort I don't see ANY educational value what so ever. My generation survived just fine without cell phones while in school back in the 80's/90's, and without iPads and all these distractions.
I use it with a time limit for homework, and other educational apps, art, drawing, and so on, and not to play games non stop. Also, I don't allow games Monday through Friday on these devices, during the week they are all used for homework, and learning. I am the parent, and I chose to stay home to make sure that my kids get a good education, and not just academic, but common sense related as well. Until they're 18 they live by this house rules, after that, and in college and beyond it is not my problem anymore, they're adults, and I taught them well.

Personally, I think we'd hear a lot less "anxiety caused by online bullying" if more parents restricted access to this stupid social media. Especially for kids that are still in elementary, middle, and high school. Guess what, I also taught my kids that "school" is not a fashion house, and it is a place of learning and study, so "fashions" of any sort are AFTER school. Thankfully my kids school has uniforms, which makes me very happy.

I don't know why you believe it is so difficult to communicate with your kids to the point where they need to go behind your back... If my kids decided to stop living by our rules, then I will pack their suitcase and they can live on their own. I am the parent, not a hotel, and not a restaurant, and not some computer store, and what have you. I know this might sound even more shocking, but they have chores too! and I don't teach them that when they'll grow up they'll have a maid that will clean up after them every 5 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting