Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

I don't get the posts of a repetitive type. How do I get someone else to do things I want them to do? In the final analysis, you really can't. SHOULD someone do this or that? In the final analysis, who cares? You think that they should. I think that they shouldn't. And never the twain shall meet. In this case, I think it might be possible to kindly and politely ASK someone not photograph or film your child. I think the OP lost some potential good will by demanding it. But in the final analysis, out in the big world out there, there is little you can do about someone not sharing your view about what they SHOULD do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
As long as someone doesn't tag my children (ie..this is so and so on the right), I am fine with it. I do not like when people identify my kids on online pictures, but certainly don't need them fussed out of any image they might appear in.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
I am not talking about stalker safety or using it for some other purpose, I'm talking about being safe from a lawsuit for posting someone elses child and their parent found out.
What law would possibly be violated by posting someone else's kid's picture on a website? I'll tell you, none. Unless the picture is copy righted other people don't own their image and can't sue you because you posted a pic with their kid in it.
I can't believe how clueless and hysterical people are. Why are people so scared that someone could SEE their child? There aren't child molesters on every corner and your child is not going to be at risk because someone sees them.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
I'm ASSUMING, but perhaps not correct, that the waiting area is also owned by the dance studio...dance studio owner can certainly prohibit this sort of activity going on on her property.
The owner probably could, although, judging by the vast majority of responses in this thread, I can't imagine many parent would have a problem with the videotaping. It was not disruptive, given that the girls could not have known about it, being behind a one-way mirror. The OP is frankly being unrealistic in her expectations.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
I'm ASSUMING, but perhaps not correct, that the waiting area is also owned by the dance studio...dance studio owner can certainly prohibit this sort of activity going on on her property.
Why would they prohibit it though?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
The dance studio owner can certainly limit or entirely prohibit the classes being filmed. It is disruptive..most dance studios separate the parents and the kids anyway.
This is what I discovered:

A property owner MAY prohibit photography on their property. But they are not required to do so.

In this case the OP was behind one way glass so it certainly would not be disruptive to record through the glass.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
As long as someone doesn't tag my children (ie..this is so and so on the right), I am fine with it. I do not like when people identify my kids on online pictures, but certainly don't need them fussed out of any image they might appear in.

I was thinking about that too. Tagging may be what the real threat could be moreso than a picture without the names of the children. Though if they, whomever they may be, really wanted to they could find out the names of the other children. I have requested my name not be tagged to pictures but I know people who remember me when I was at such and such age will know it's my picture because they remember who was related to the person who has me in their pics. I still do not care to be tagged and I don't like pics of myself on the internet. That's just my preference. Looks like it could go either way in the future either we all get tagged and everybody knows who everybody is even in a site like this on or there could be a lot of legal battles going on in the future. I don't care for either one of the two so I prefer it be where we just try not to post pics of the people who request they not be posted and leave it at that. I just don't like it forced either way because then there is no give and take. I think it's better to try and be fair to everyone rather than take away from one who posts or force the other who doesn't post.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizita View Post
what law would possibly be violated by posting someone else's kid's picture on a website? I'll tell you, none. Unless the picture is copy righted other people don't own their image and can't sue you because you posted a pic with their kid in it.
I can't believe how clueless and hysterical people are. Why are people so scared that someone could see their child? There aren't child molesters on every corner and your child is not going to be at risk because someone sees them.
+1

Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
What law would possibly be violated by posting someone else's kid's picture on a website? I'll tell you, none. Unless the picture is copy righted other people don't own their image and can't sue you because you posted a pic with their kid in it.
I can't believe how clueless and hysterical people are. Why are people so scared that someone could SEE their child? There aren't child molesters on every corner and your child is not going to be at risk because someone sees them.

You are right there is no such law. I should have said "possible laws" If a parent is upset enough that another parent disregarded their request to not post a pic of their child they could go to a lawyer to find out or try to get something done to stop them. I doubt many people would do this but as was mentioned in the original post the other parent said my child is adopted. That alone may push a parent who adopted their child to get something done to have a law passed. I'm not saying this will be done but let's face it sometimes something like this that tics off a parent enough is all it takes to get a new law or something started.

I don't think it's that people get hysterical, although to the person who thinks it's ok it may appear that way to them, it's that they feel violated and to the people who don't feel that way they just dismiss how the other feels and that is what starts the problem. Me I look at what happened to that young girl haveing her FB from what I was told, I didn't read it myself, she had her pics on her FB, trusted the other FB boys and now she's dead. It's too easy to feel like there's a connection through pictures and friending and think that it's FB it's safe and friendly and now with securityit really feels safe. I'm sorry but I just don't trust it. Had that child not been on FB she never would have met them on FB and felt like it was safe to go off and meet them. That's what I get from that. I hope you are all right that it is really safe I really do. There weren't killers on every corner for the little girl murdered and thrown in a dumpster after going on FB and meeting those two boys.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
People need to realize there is a huge difference between an anonymous background picture of some random kid, and a child having personal information about themselves out there for others to pick up on. One is purely stupid and the other is pretty darn harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting