Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
I am not pontificating. You took one thing I said out of dozens of statements and harped on it with ridiculous taunts that had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Children and adults are equal in such that both should be protected equally from physical violence. While adults can press charges against another adult who so little as slaps them, children can not.

Just because you did doesn't mean every child did or does. Each person is different, as has been pointed out numerous times on this thread. Besides, understanding that parents can spank doesn't make it right.
I'm sorry, but D is kind of getting you on here. Your view on spanking is understandable but you keep elevating it to to something that EVERYONE should have and people who spank are JUST WRONG. I think D is just trying to get you to understand that what you are saying is just YOUR view and it's ok for him to have a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM

509 posts, read 587,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I'm sorry, but D is kind of getting you on here. Your view on spanking is understandable but you keep elevating it to to something that EVERYONE should have and people who spank are JUST WRONG. I think D is just trying to get you to understand that what you are saying is just YOUR view and it's ok for him to have a different one.
Yes, spanking is wrong. If my belief were that spanking is wrong, but it's ok if other people did it, that would be contrary to my belief.

Yes, he can have a different opinion. He was making fun of my choices rather than talking about the topic at hand. It doesn't "get to me," but I'm not just going to ignore it, either.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
True, there are some parents who modeled angry retribution rather than thought-out discipline and if they feel uncomfortable that they might do the same, it's probably best for them to avoid spanking at all.

I do hesitate to call merely bad parenting "abuse" until it reaches a fairly serious level, because otherwise you end up with what we have now--an Orwellian country of snoops and spies where people call CPS on their neighbors, ex-spouses and ertswhile friends to settle scores, and children blackmail their parents because they aren't getting their way. This is a problem more pervasive in its effects than abuse was even in the old days, and by all means more common than true abuse is today. For every parent who goes overboard with spanking, I would say there are 20 who don't spank at all, or when it might be helpful, because they find it not worth courting trouble with the neighbors or the "authorities."
Couldn't agree with you more. Neighbors kill me with the snooping they do.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
I didn't because your opinion is that we think its abuse (I don't necessarily) and that I know how to discipline all children (I never said I did) and that I think I'm smarter than you (I could be, but a mere exchange via Internet isn't going to tell either of us who is smarter).

For me, you proved that when provoked, you lash out with mean words and angry rhetoric. It leads me to think that this is one of your skills for handling confrontation, thus, physical punishment would be something you would likely resort to.
How are you going to tell him thank you but then tell him you didn't validate his opinions when he said you did? I understand you two are disagreeing but come on, it's getting a little childish, now your telling him "no i didn't" to something that only he can know?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
LOL, who are you people?!!! Heartbreaking?! Haha, you're a chump!

Why do you find the need to bash others because their opinions differ yours?

Sorry, but to many "normal spankings" turn into abuse.

I've personallly went through and read several stories of what some call "discipline" and this is what I found.

Sharron Watson Whipped Son Over Bad Grades, Nearly Severed His Butt - True Crime Report - Strange But True Crime Stories from Across America.
This story is how a kid brought a D home on his report card. Instead of helping him improve, he gets whipped with a belt until his buttocks is almost ripped from his body.

Here's another story

This Mother Whips her Child with a belt and extention cord and duck tapes them
Mother accused of whipping children with belt, extension cord - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

If you read the comments on the article, to my surprise, parents are still supporting her saying" the government does not have any right putting their nose into family business"

For all you spankers: Spanking would be acceptable to alot more people if so many normal spankings didn't turn into cases like these, which are abuse.

Use and instrument like a cord, belt, etc, and then try to justify it, is just wrong, because there is no justification for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
This story is how a kid brought a D home on his report card. Instead of helping him improve, he gets whipped with a belt until his buttocks is almost ripped from his body.
Yes, because that is so similar to what most people who speak English refer to as a spanking.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 PM

244 posts, read 390,450 times
Kids need to fear you, you don't need to be their friend, [pal, buddy or anything else, you need to be the parent, and your kids need to know when you say something you mean it, you can't waffle back and forth, or pit one parent (woman and a man) against one another, kids nowadays are absolute heathens , If I would have acted like kids the past 10 years have acted I would have my ass torn up, I was spanked and everyday I am glad my mom did it, everytime I was about to do something stupid, or wrong I asked my self, Is this gonna get my ass busted,, and It really kept me out of alot of trouble. I didn't grow up to be an axe murder, I'm not a raging alcoholic, or heavy drug user I am a great person who has good manners and knows not to get in trouble, The kids I grew up around who had parents who didn't spank em, wound up in jail drugies and basicly useless human beings. There is a differance between spanking and beating. I also got my ass busted a few times in middle school. Paddling need to make a come back too.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
that whole post is heartbreaking.
Melodramtic much??? Did you read my post? I was spanked as a child and I don't see where it hurt me. When I was in school, schools were better places, in part, because old woody hung behind the principal's door. It wasn't used much but you don't have to. Just enough that the threat is real.

Kids are NOT mini adults. They don't always see the reasons why things are the way they are. Sometimes, they need something immediate that gets their attention.

Seriously, spanking has been used for thousands of years. Why? Because it works. This gotta be my kid's friend BS is what is hurting our kids.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
Kids need to fear you, you don't need to be their friend, [pal, buddy or anything else, you need to be the parent, and your kids need to know when you say something you mean it, you can't waffle back and forth, or pit one parent (woman and a man) against one another, kids nowadays are absolute heathens , If I would have acted like kids the past 10 years have acted I would have my ass torn up, I was spanked and everyday I am glad my mom did it, everytime I was about to do something stupid, or wrong I asked my self, Is this gonna get my ass busted,, and It really kept me out of alot of trouble. I didn't grow up to be an axe murder, I'm not a raging alcoholic, or heavy drug user I am a great person who has good manners and knows not to get in trouble, The kids I grew up around who had parents who didn't spank em, wound up in jail drugies and basicly useless human beings. There is a differance between spanking and beating. I also got my ass busted a few times in middle school. Paddling need to make a come back too.
I have to agree. Kids are being crippled by parents who are afraid to parent these days. I see behaviors every day that would have gotten me knocked into tomorrow. Kids openly diss teachers, parents and other adults and think it's their right. They think the world revolves around them because it has since they were born. Then they can't deal with the real world which WILL knock you down and doesn't care about your ego.

I agree there is a difference between spaking and beating. While my mom could go a bit overboard, there was always a reason I got my behind blistered and that was my fault. I knew the rules. I chose not to adhere to them. Kids today know the rules too but there is nothing they fear if they break them so they keep on breaking them until it's too late. I feel bad for the current generation of young adults. They haven't been taught discipline.

First I learned to do what I was supposed to out of fear. Later I learned that there were real reasons to do what I was supposed to. Fortunately, I was already in the habit of doing what I was supposed to so I was halfway home.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Have a couple of kids and then you'll know why we say they're not disciplined!

Also, you can go ask your grandparents, or someone Else's grandparents. There was a time when MEN would kiss a lady's hand upon meeting her! Look at it now....its embarrassing to society at large how RUDE, and INCONSIDERATE people have become. Look at the women, young women, all fat, not standing up straight, have hunchbacks, wearing toddler clothing, having layers of bellies hanging out of their pants, and shirts and what have you! DISGUSTING. ALL that is a parent responsibility to teach. Parents these days are spoiling children to no end, don't teach manners and common sense because they dump the kids in daycares where there is NO ONE to spend one on one with these poor kids to TEACH them manners and common sense, not to mention some barely even speak English! AND then the same parents go out and buy expensive toys, (out of guilt), and whatever else to make themselves feel better....they have no idea how much harm they're actually doing in the long run. This is why you end up having entitled, complacent employees at work; these people were not taught a shred of RESPONSIBILITY when they were kids growing up. Look at teens, they are all bored, and unmotivated! its embarrassing to watch. They hang out at the mall? what the hell is at the mall that's educational? enriching? NOTHING! Again, parent responsibility to teach, and open a child's perspective to EVERYTHING, not just shopping blindfolded!

We send a perfectly non-spanked disciplined child to school, and he/she comes home with BAD, RUDE HABITS picked up from those who don't bother to teach their kids anything.

I have witnessed numerous times how kids come to the bakery and go: "gimme a cookie"!!!!!!! no please, no thank you, and the mother just sits there annoyed that the bakery rep is not moving fast enough! I'd spank the mother......

They don't get spanked because they were ANGELS, they get spanked because they talk back, they are rude, and don't respect the house rules, they break stuff that doesn't belong to them and so on. (Those who have house rules in place). Spanking usually happens when ALL the talking has not gone through their heads! its not like parents have kids so they have something to spank!

Parents don't set boundaries anymore. Don't present themselves as the authority in the house. Until they're 18, they live by my rules, after that they can take what they were taught and move on. My house is not a playground, is not some dump that they're going to destroy. There are BINS to store toys, there are storage solutions for EVERYTHING, they're responsibility is to put their own stuff back where it came from from the moment they can walk. It is their stuff, their responsibility. There is NO EXCUSE, literally NOT to teach them to be responsible. None what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Based on the number of threads I've posted in that Involved the topic of spanking, I've come across several comments such as this:

"Kids aren't disciplined"

I'd just like to know who said that disciplining a child involves spanking the child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting