Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM

155 posts, read 347,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I love when teenagers come to my door dressed up. Most don't and I give them candy anyway but I really do love seeing teenagers still in the haloween spirit all dressed up for halloween. I'd give your son and his Power Ranger friends extra candy if they came to my door.
When teenagers come to my door, I always make a point of saying, "Oh, let me make sure you get some of the good candy."

You don't want teenagers ticked off at you on Halloween night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We were gonna dress our 11 month son up and take him trick or treating..
Good for you! Take lots of pictures.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I give candy to anyone who knocks on my door in costume or who says the words, "trick or treat". I don't care if they are 1 month old or 50 years old. Candy is cheap. Trick or treating is fun. I don't understand when people have weird rules about who gets candy and who doesn't. It's one day out of the year. Anyone who wants candy can have candy and if I run out of candy, I turn the porch light off and that's the end of it.
I do almost exactly the same thing.

The kids know they have to be in costume. I spend a lot of time on Halloween - it's my biggest decorating time of the year. My garage becomes a "haunting", complete with a full cast of characters - some real, some not. Lots of fog, and scary music. Many of the little kiddies don't even make it in...but the next year, they are so proud when they make it. Everyone gets candy, as long as they have a costume. Fun for us, fun for them. It's a 10 year tradition that the entire neighborhood has come to expect.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
It seems kind of rude to ask you and your baby over for the party and then once she sees the baby tells you to leave. None of my children ate candy as babies, certainly not at 5 mos. old. When my children got to be 1 or 2 I would get them animal cracker instead of candy. They can feed themselves and they like them. I am sure I gave out candy at some point to someone holding a baby in costume, but it wouldn't occur to me that they would give it to the baby, I thought they'd eat it themselves or if they had older children.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Agreed. I even give candy to the teenagers that don't bother to dress up, but they have to at least banter with me as I say to them, "So what's your costume? Emo hipster kid? Nirvana band member?"
Do they give you blank looks at this one? I realized I was getting older when my 17 year old niece gave me a blank look when I mentioned Nirvana. I should have realized I was getting older when my niece turned 17.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Ok then. I have an across the street neighbor who has mentioned multiple times that they would "just love it" if I would bring our five month old over during trick or treat. So we did. The neighbor popped her head out, oooohed and ahhhed over the costume and then said "You can go now, I don't give candy to Trick or Treat babies".
Hmmm....I've always given out candy to the buckets held by proud new parents, I thought it was part of the social "deal".
And no, I'm not whining because I didn't get a mini Snickers bar! Just was wondering, does anyone else turn away babies/parents at Trick or Treat? If so, don't you find it awkward?
Isn't tomorrow trick or treat?? I think the neighbor is a bit flaky...I think she may have just been being mushy...and coming over tonight threw her lol

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wow.
We were gonna dress our 11 month son up and take him trick or treating...never realized people thought it was weird or odd or whatever...we have always given candy to whoever showed up at the door...babies, teens, whatever.
Take the baby out. Dress him up. Take lots of pictures. I don't understand all the weirdness about who gets candy (not babies, not teens) on Halloween. Whomever wants candy can come dressed up and get candy at my house on Halloween. Its FUN!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Isn't tomorrow trick or treat?? I think the neighbor is a bit flaky...I think she may have just been being mushy...and coming over tonight threw her lol
Almost 100% of the communities in my area had trick or treating on Sunday afternoon.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Almost 100% of the communities in my area had trick or treating on Sunday afternoon.
Really? I have only seen trick or treating on October 31.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Ok then. I have an across the street neighbor who has mentioned multiple times that they would "just love it" if I would bring our five month old over during trick or treat. So we did. The neighbor popped her head out, oooohed and ahhhed over the costume and then said "You can go now, I don't give candy to Trick or Treat babies".
Hmmm....I've always given out candy to the buckets held by proud new parents, I thought it was part of the social "deal".
And no, I'm not whining because I didn't get a mini Snickers bar! Just was wondering, does anyone else turn away babies/parents at Trick or Treat? If so, don't you find it awkward?
So, your neighbor tells you to stop by while trick or treating and then tells you she doesn't give treats to babies. Sorry, but what a weirdo. I give a treat to every one who comes to my door, it's the friendly thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting