Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times

Advertisements

We are going to Thanksgiving dinner at our friends house. They have 4 children (3 will be at their Dad's house)... leaving their 3 year old son to spend the evening with. We have a 16 yr old son (who will be eating dinner with us and then going to have dinner with his girlfriends family) and a 12 yr old daughter (who wants to take her DS to play with after dinner when the adults are chatting - I'm ok with this idea, except I worry that the high strung 3 yr old may get ahold of it and break it).

What I would like from the creative folks here on CD is some ideas of things I can take with - something like a goodie box or bag just for him that will hold his attention and keep him occupied for a bit. When I have gone over there to visit - he has been very high needs. He demands attention from whoever is at the house and does many naughty things to get whatever kind of attention he can.

I don't need discipline advice or to hear that his mother isn't spending enough time with him, etc... what I really want is some creative ideas of inexpensive goodies I can put in a special box or bag to give him after dinner that will keep him entertained for a bit.

Thanks so much in advance. Both our families are here alone and this is her first without all her kids at home - I would really like to make this successful and enjoyable for everyone and not be stressed out by an attention seeking 3 yr old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Get a box fill it with a smaller box and so forth, make sure to seal each box with a couple rounds of tape, strong tape might I add, do fill the smallest box with candy so it's not a total disappointment. Tell him that inside is candy and he has to get to the very inside box, it'll take him the whole time you are there to get to the middle.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I wouldn't go heavy on the candy, maybe one lollipop at most. I never met a three year old boy who wasn't entranced with Matchbox cars and trucks. They are small, inexpensive, and portable. You can frequently find vinyl mats sold in the same area that have streets and such printed on them. I've seen them at the dollar stores.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Maybe animal crackers and/or those gummy candies that are sugar-free. I don't know if a coloring book and crayons would be good or not. I certainly wouldn't want him coloring anything else but the book. If he were outside I would think bubbles. Maybe some of those thicker cardboard books made for small children.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,410 times
Too bad you can't bring another toddler with you. It would be best for him to have some human interaction.

But if that's not possible, maybe hire a babysitter for the night and bring her along?

Last resort: have him watch a video.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Go to the thrift store and buy some dress-up. Kids love uniforms, crazy hats, my kids always manage to find kimonos, all kinds of cool things. After Halloween is a good time for that, also places like Target sell their dress-up marked way down for the next few days, you could pick up something fun for next to nothing.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Don't go, really why stress? Invite them to your house thus freeing the parent to tend to the three year old.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Pay your daughter something to watch the little guy...you don't have to tell your friend that you're doing that, just get her motivated to play with him and keep him entertained after the meal.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
My kids liked sticker books at that age. Lots of stickers, as they just put them all over the pages...Those are good on planes too.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
First, realize that a 3 yr old who is high needs typically has a very short attention span. Taking one item will probably not keep their interest for long.

What I would suggest is first find out what he is currently interested in.....Cars? Dinosaurs? Super heroes? Books? Markers?

Then put together a bag/box of several things in that theme that he can take turns playing with, however make them things that are YOURS that you brought to share, not for him to keep and keep the bag/box with you so that he has to return what he had to get something different. This makes it more special and will help him take better care of it. At the end of the evening you can choose whether to leave it for him since he was enjoying it so much and behaved so well....or take it with you for the next time you are there.

In the bag/box include something like a book or two, stickers and paper, color wonder markers/paper(these only color on the special paper), a small play set that has just a few pieces, stuffed animal, a puzzle or small lego type set. You may already have some of these things or other things around your house that your kids no longer play with, so think about what's there.......an older Leap Pad or Gameboy? Toys this young child has not seen before but might like can be a big hit. If you have any toys still from kids meals at fast food places, little kids love those as well.

The idea is to have things he doesn't already have at his house and will be fresh and new to him while at the same time not give him the opportunity to make a huge a mess that will stress out his parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting