Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you can not afford a child then you can not afford a husband or a wife. You may as well rent a cheap room with plastic curtains and give up on life.
How so? 2 people working and earning money is 2 people working and earning money whether they're married or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post

The people I know.....
Those being the operative words.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Surely you don't subscribe to that nonsense?..I don't know ANYONE who's spent even CLOSE to that much on a child, as it's completely unnecessary.

Studies have shown, etc. blah blah blah.

You'd also have to account for the $20-$40k I'd have to spend adopting a child.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Those being the operative words.
People can say what they will, but people are still having kids and finding their way, with a median household income of $50k, even in expensive areas such as NYC and LA. Otherwise the only people having children would make six figures, have saved X dollars for college expenses, etc., and that clearly isn't the case, since the average American family isn't that successful; yet they still have kids, and aren't all on welfare.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
It's amazing how children are being viewed as an expense on a balance sheet. They're human.

The people I know who have kids make the sacrifices when necessary, might struggle at times, and flourish at others, and make out just fine. And plenty of their kids go to college regardless of whether mom or dad helped pay for it, and are either entering, currently in, or have finished grad school and have promising careers.

There certainly are that have made it and continue to make it through college, even without their parents support.

If one wants to be able pay for their child's tuition, that's fine, but not everyone has that standard or needs to follow it.
Why is it bothering you? Ain't you the one saying its ok if you ain't got kids?

I think it is a GREAT thing that people are taking a look at total costs of raising kids before they commit to it. Some will decide to wait until they are more economically and/or emotionally viable to raise kids, some like me will just say it why bother? I think there is nothing wrong with comparing utility against cost. It is a good business and life skill.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Well OP, I think it's pretty acceptable these days to just say you don't want children without having to tack on an excuse. I don't know why anyone would make an excuse up unless they were being pressured somehow. I didn't want any when I got out of school and I made no bones about it. I spent several years doing stuff I wanted to do. Then, I spent several years saving up for them.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How so? 2 people working and earning money is 2 people working and earning money whether they're married or not.
Was just pulling your leg. Two people pooling their resources is a good thing. Everyone can afford to have children. It's not about being ready money wise - It is about being ready to commit...to gamble to take a chance- to have faith that all will be well...having kids has always been a leap of faith.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
And plenty of their kids go to college regardless of whether mom or dad helped pay for it, and are either entering, currently in, or have finished grad school and have promising careers.
I suppose that's true and it's a choice for parents. We personally couldn't fathom burdening our son with the kind of debt he'd be left with. Whether or not we would chose to pay for it would still effect him. If we decided not to, since he's not eligible for grants etc. because of our income, he'd be getting all those loans on his own. A parents income is still the deciding factor whether or not they chose to pay or not. Many parents think that if they just decide not to pay, their kids can then apply for all those loans - that they are considered independent. Guess what. That is NOT the case.

To each his own. Interesting to see people's take on the matter and what some call necessity and others don't.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why is it bothering you? Ain't you the one saying its ok if you ain't got kids?

I think it is a GREAT thing that people are taking a look at total costs of raising kids before they commit to it. Some will decide to wait until they are more economically and/or emotionally viable to raise kids, some like me will just say it why bother? I think there is nothing wrong with comparing utility against cost. It is a good business and life skill.
Humans simply aren't utilities you can put a price on, like a car. Balance sheets are for things you can quantify the price of.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I suppose that's true and it's a choice for parents. We personally couldn't fathom burdening our son with the kind of debt he'd be left with. Whether or not we would chose to pay for it would still effect him. If we decided not to, since he's not eligible for grants etc. because of our income, he'd be getting all those loans on his own. A parents income is still the deciding factor whether or not they chose to pay or not. Many parents think that if they just decide not to pay, their kids can then apply for all those loans - that they are considered independent. Guess what. That is NOT the case.

To each his own. Interesting to see people's take on the matter and what some call necessity and others don't.
But there are kids who find ways around this by going to cheaper schools, and save up, or work for an employer who will pay toward their tuition. The issue isn't always so black and white as parents pay or loan debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting