Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

This is why welfare, food stamps and section 8 exist. USE THEM.

Go to social services and get some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
I lived in a shelter for women and children with my mother and siblings when I was a kid and it wasn't that bad. Homeless shelters that accept kids are not like the ones you see on TV with a bunch of shady looking people sleeping in a room full of bunk beds. Shelters that accept children usually provide a private room for the family with shared kitchen and bathrooms. Some even have playrooms for the kids.
At the one I was at we had our own room with two bunk beds. There was a small kitchen where people could prepare food and a TV/day room with some board games and stuff. It was only women with kids there (dads had to stay at some other shelter). It wasn't a scary place by any means. For a small kid it's probably not much different than staying at a motel or something.

Most of these shelters, for women and kids, do provide services to help families get on their feet, such as help with getting a job, applying for public assistance and getting an apartment. If you are in a bad situation turning to an agency that can help you with emergency housing (shelter) and other help is not a bad idea. It's a place to start. Your child will not be in danger in a women and children's shelter.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Oh, I should also mention, since you have a child you should qualify for TANF and food stamps. Apply for it! It will help you get on your feet and won't be forever.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Didn't disappear. Don't have regular internet access right now. Short story is I left my mother's apartment and took my son with me. I found out she had stopped taking her meds which explains some of her recent behavior. I will not leave my son in that environment. As far as looking for work, I have had many interviews but it doesn't go past that. Many do not like my background and choice of jobs. I have a counselor that is helping me look for work but they have been told that I was not offered a position because of my "seasonal work background" before I went back to school. Work is work....I don't get the big hangup on it being seasonal or not. Met up with a former coworker and found out they have been having the same problem as me when finding work because most of the places we worked at closed when they tore down the mall. I applied for all the fast food places, wal-mart, target, etc. and nothing. Many of the places in walking distance require you to be bilingual in Spanish. There are seasonal part-time jobs but so far nothing has panned out. I had an interview yesterday and the manager said I was old enough to be her mom. Not really seeing anything come out of that one.
Translation: "blameblameblameblameblameblameblameblame"

Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I would apply at a couple of temp agencies. I've known a lot of people who have used them, several positions even turned into a full time jobs. I can't remember if you said you had a car, but I know agencies will make sure the job is on a bus route if needed. Some even have self paced free courses on the different computer programs you might need.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I'm sorry, but I truly don't get the OP, and I'm having a hard time buying what I'm reading. On a different thread, she mentioned that she was only eating 2 or 3 times a week so that her child could eat. It was asked then why didn't she get food stamps. I don't remember the excuse, but there was some reason why she didn't. When I don't know of a reason you would not get foodstamps with NO income and a child to feed. Then, when her son was in a gang infested school, getting his backpack slashed with a switchblade, there was the excuse as to why she didn't switch schools...the better school would have required a 3 to 5 block walk in the snow, rain, and ice. 3 to 5 blocks to walk to give your child a better education, possibly even save his life, and that's too much? There's tons of other excuses for every problem, and every time someone gives her a suggestion, or a solution, she has an excuse as to why it won't work.

No woman in her right mind would rather take her son to a homeless shelter when she HAS a place to live. So what her mother is a nut, annoying, controlling, or whatever the case may be. Any woman would know that her child NEEDS a stable place to live, a HOME, more than he needs anything else, and a homeless shelter does not fit that need. But I am truly beginning to believe that this particular poster enjoys being a victim. Which is unfortunate for her child, who will be the only unwilling victim in all this.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I'm sorry, but I truly don't get the OP, and I'm having a hard time buying what I'm reading. On a different thread, she mentioned that she was only eating 2 or 3 times a week so that her child could eat. It was asked then why didn't she get food stamps. I don't remember the excuse, but there was some reason why she didn't. When I don't know of a reason you would not get foodstamps with NO income and a child to feed. Then, when her son was in a gang infested school, getting his backpack slashed with a switchblade, there was the excuse as to why she didn't switch schools...the better school would have required a 3 to 5 block walk in the snow, rain, and ice. 3 to 5 blocks to walk to give your child a better education, possibly even save his life, and that's too much? There's tons of other excuses for every problem, and every time someone gives her a suggestion, or a solution, she has an excuse as to why it won't work.

No woman in her right mind would rather take her son to a homeless shelter when she HAS a place to live. So what her mother is a nut, annoying, controlling, or whatever the case may be. Any woman would know that her child NEEDS a stable place to live, a HOME, more than he needs anything else, and a homeless shelter does not fit that need. But I am truly beginning to believe that this particular poster enjoys being a victim. Which is unfortunate for her child, who will be the only unwilling victim in all this.
Sadly,she will find people in the homeless shelter with far worse mental health issues than her mom has. Not to mention all the drug users she will encounter and their troubled children. She apparently moved out so I assume she has made the decision to enter a shelter (found this on another thread in the employment forum).

Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Sadly,she will find people in the homeless shelter with far worse mental health issues than her mom has. Not to mention all the drug users she will encounter and their troubled children. She apparently moved out so I assume she has made the decision to enter a shelter (found this on another thread in the employment forum).
Right. And then she'll be back to complain about how bad it all is, but there's absolutely nothing she can do about it. I have to wonder even if she were offered a job, would she have some excuse not to take it. Personally, I think she should have left the kid with her mom, and moved to the shelter herself.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Right. And then she'll be back to complain about how bad it all is, but there's absolutely nothing she can do about it.

How will she get internet access at a homeless shelter?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
The same way she has had internet access this entire time. She has had it from the apartment she lived in where she was ignoring the child next door she thought was being abused to her mother's home. I would think if she does not have it in her home then she is going to the library or something. She will have to have something to do during the day anyway because the homeless shelters where I live force people out during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting