Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've always read that children raised in households with pets have fewer allergies and health problems. And of course kids raised around smokers stay sick. I was constantly sick with colds, respiratory problems back in the day and I'm convinced it was because my mother was a chain smoker. Nobody "knew" about second hand smoke back then but it's only common sense.

Each kid is going to react differently to sickness. One dd had a spell last year of barfing for about 20 minutes. She handled it well, we stayed calm and comforting but her sister was freaking out.

I've had some major illnesses over the past few years and I tried to be calm and reassuring. last summer I had complete heart block and passed out several times and within 20 minutes I knew I would have to call an ambulance. Daddy was 4 hours out of town, of course. I explained to them about the gurney I would have to be on, the heavy equipment the men would bring into the house and to put up the 4 pets before they got here. Then I called DH and he was on his way home. The girls stayed at home calmly from noon till 6 p.m. and did very well. staying calm and giving as much info as possible is the answer.
BTW I had to get a pacemaker.
How awful! It's incredible that you were able to hold it together and give such clear, calm instructions to not only your girls but 911 and your husband, too. And it's wonderful that your girls were able to follow your directions and take care of themselves when they had to.

How old were your girls at the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
my daughters are both 10 years old, only 4 months apart in age (adopted from Vietnam). Yes I was very proud of them. I asked the 911 operator to please not have the sirens on the ambulance when they came into the neighborhood because i did not want my girls to panic. also I asked the ambulance drivers not to hit the sirens until out of the neighborhood which they agreed. They couldn't have gone very fast in the neighborhood anyway.

Even in the summertime I am the only SAHM on my street and I don't know anybody else close by. I knew my girls would be safe as I've left them before to go to the grocery store, etc. They know what to do and what not to do, how to fix a sandwich, not to answer the door or the phone unless they recognize caller I.D. Daddy came immediately to the hospital to check on me (he had called the girls on the road) and when he got home they had cleaned up the kitchen, picked up the family room and were playing wii cheerfully. I'm sure because I calmly told them everything to expect and cause i was cracking jokes ("don't tell Daddy I left the house with two hunky good looking young guys in uniforms")and waving as I was carried out on the gurney they were able to keep it together. I was not in any pain but I assure you I was very worried.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
my daughters are both 10 years old, only 4 months apart in age (adopted from Vietnam). Yes I was very proud of them. I asked the 911 operator to please not have the sirens on the ambulance when they came into the neighborhood because i did not want my girls to panic. also I asked the ambulance drivers not to hit the sirens until out of the neighborhood which they agreed. They couldn't have gone very fast in the neighborhood anyway.

Even in the summertime I am the only SAHM on my street and I don't know anybody else close by. I knew my girls would be safe as I've left them before to go to the grocery store, etc. They know what to do and what not to do, how to fix a sandwich, not to answer the door or the phone unless they recognize caller I.D. Daddy came immediately to the hospital to check on me (he had called the girls on the road) and when he got home they had cleaned up the kitchen, picked up the family room and were playing wii cheerfully. I'm sure because I calmly told them everything to expect and cause i was cracking jokes ("don't tell Daddy I left the house with two hunky good looking young guys in uniforms")and waving as I was carried out on the gurney they were able to keep it together. I was not in any pain but I assure you I was very worried.
What an ordeal! Thank goodness you were all able to stay calm and collected throughout it all. It sounds as though you are raising two very responsible young ladies .

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Really bizarre thread......
That's what I thought, and why I didn't look at this thread earlier. However, it's Sunday morning; I have a kitchenful of mess to clean up, so I'm procrastinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is part of my daughter's health class for the year. She has to research different illnesses and make posters about prevention. Her lessons have links to the different websites they want them to use to research the illnesses. I don't see the harm of it at all.
IIRC, these kids research diseases such as diabetes, various cancers, etc. This is a little different than looking up your own symptoms on the internet and thinking your diarrhea is a symptom of colon cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Let me ask, are their ways of developing the immune system in children? Like I dont know feed them a little bit of slightly spoiled food, so his immune system will have practice.
Your immune system is challenged every hour of every day. Deliberately giving your child food poisoning seems cruel.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Let me ask, are their ways of developing the immune system in children? Like I dont know feed them a little bit of slightly spoiled food, so his immune system will have practice.
Yes, children who are exposed to food and water that is contaminated have stronger immune systems.......and have a hugher incidence of illness and death from the same contamination.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
I dont have any kids by the way. But I was serious with that question. I have heard that it is okay to let your baby bite and lick her fingers eventhough the fingers is covered in germs, because it allows them to develop their immune system.

My question about the slightly spoiled food is along those lines. Now I do not mean to feed that to a baby, but what about a five, six, or seven year old? No pain no gain right. I mean what if you kept you kid away from contact with other kids? Germs are spread that way a lot in youth. When they get older, how will their bodies handle the contact if you never gave them a chance to develop?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I dont have any kids by the way.
Well, that's a relief.

Some things you can learn by experience, but feeding your kids spoiled food is not one of them.

I think George Carlin said it best when he said we should just eat dirt to boost our immune systems.

George Carlin fear of germs 1 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting