Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

How would you teach your child to deal with the common everyday ailments like Diarrhea (ewww !!!), allergies, canker sores in the mouth, and physical injuries like cuts, mild sprains, bleeding noses etc?

And also non-fatal but really annoying sicknesses like Strep throat, influenza, and of course the always fun Stomach virus or noro-virus. As a child, I was very active and social, so I caught all those from my fellow babies. Whenever it was something that felt like my stomach was feeling weezy, the solution was always go use the toilet, or vomit. When the misery wasnt my stomach, and just all over the body, the problem must have been a fever. In this case, get a cold towel and put it on your head, take some tylenol, and drink fluids.

Any experts know how to instruct a child so he can take care of his own illnesses? I remember, when I felt like vomitting, I tried to hold out as long as I could. For some reason, I thought vomiting was kind of uncomfortable. Anyone have an explanations for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Why would you want your child to deal with illnesses on his own? If you're the parent, it's your job to take care of your child and to administer medicine or take the child to the doctor when necessary.

My daughter is learning in health class this year how to look up different ailments online, and see what the treatments are. She's 10 and I've told her that she can read everything she wants, but I still want to know when she's not feeling well, and I will give her medicine if needed.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Hopefully diarrhea is not an everyday occurrence!

I have to admit your approach to this question is really weird. I think most people feel vomiting is VERY uncomfortable.

Now, I have been around children who FREAK OUT when they vomit, but your first step is to treat all these like a normal human function. Sometimes yucky stuff happens. If you overreact, they will too.

It really just sounds like you need to brush up on basic first aid and teach it to your kids. Teach them to clean up after themselves, and TRY to make it to the toilet if they have to barf.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How would you teach your child to deal with the common everyday ailments like Diarrhea (ewww !!!), allergies, canker sores in the mouth, and physical injuries like cuts, mild sprains, bleeding noses etc?

And also non-fatal but really annoying sicknesses like Strep throat, influenza, and of course the always fun Stomach virus or noro-virus. As a child, I was very active and social, so I caught all those from my fellow babies. Whenever it was something that felt like my stomach was feeling weezy, the solution was always go use the toilet, or vomit. When the misery wasnt my stomach, and just all over the body, the problem must have been a fever. In this case, get a cold towel and put it on your head, take some tylenol, and drink fluids.

Any experts know how to instruct a child so he can take care of his own illnesses? I remember, when I felt like vomitting, I tried to hold out as long as I could. For some reason, I thought vomiting was kind of uncomfortable. Anyone have an explanations for that?
I'm not an expert, just a parent, but my advice is to explain to older children why you are doing what you are doing. Just explain, I'm checking to see what your temperature is, if it is this, I will do that, if it is this, I will do that. The more that you explain things the less likely you are to get middle of the night emergency calls with health questions from your college age (and older) child.

At my daughter's college they trained students to be "health care advocates" for their sororities, dorms, fraternities and college apartments. Sometimes my daughter would tell me later about a health care question that someone asked her (as she was a health care advocate). She was frequently shocked about how little 18 to 22 year olds actually knew about caring for their minor health needs.

She would often say "Mom, didn't their parents teach them anything?" And, sadly, many of them didn't.

The Red Cross and other organizations have basic first aid classes, perhaps this would be a good idea for a parent and teen to take together.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Why would you want your child to deal with illnesses on his own? If you're the parent, it's your job to take care of your child and to administer medicine or take the child to the doctor when necessary.

My daughter is learning in health class this year how to look up different ailments online, and see what the treatments are. She's 10 and I've told her that she can read everything she wants, but I still want to know when she's not feeling well, and I will give her medicine if needed.
I'm sorry, but I don't think leaving a 10 year old to look up ailments online. A simple headache can turn into "I'm going to die soon" when you're reading about it online.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:

Exactly. What age are we talking about here?

My sons are away at school, and somewhere along the line they figured out that if they had a headache, Tylenol would help, etc. I bought those multi day pill containers, put a different over-the-counter remedy in each section, along with a sticker saying what it was good for. These days I only get a call if they are headed to the campus clinic for something major.

Until college, I really didn't expect them to suffer in silence. Nursing kids is part of being a parent.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
You take care of them when they are young and gradually they learn how to handle it on their own. Even a teen or young adult could come down with something they can't handle on their own. How old is this child?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:

I am talking about the non-fatal, pass in a few days kinds of ailments, that dont require a hospital, doctor, or expensive drug treatments or any drugs for that matter. The ones everyone gets as a kid, and even as adults. Eventually a kid has to learn to take care of himself.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am talking about the non-fatal, pass in a few days kinds of ailments, that dont require a hospital, doctor, or expensive drug treatments or any drugs for that matter. The ones everyone gets as a kid, and even as adults. Eventually a kid has to learn to take care of himself.
So teach them. What's the big deal?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Interesting question. I think most kids kind of pick up on what to do just by experiencing it. Even my 6 year old knows to go sit on the potty if she has the runs (followed by a glass of water) or try to vomit in a toilet or trash can if possible (followed by rinse out mouth then brush teeth then small sips of water). She can take her own temperature and knows the difference between low grade fever (no Tylenol - just rest and drink water) and fever high enough to warrant Tylenol (which of course I don't allow her to give herself), lay on the couch, and drink water. (notice that we're big fans of water at my house)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting