Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

I think what txtqueen is talking about is the unfortunate bandwagon tendency these days where something that is diagnosable is discovered that a tiny portion of the population has, and suddenly everyone wants to claim that they or their child has it. It's made it difficult for people with true allergies to be taken seriously because suddenly everyone has a food allergy. I've seen situations where parents claimed food allergies for their children that the allergy doctors could not diagnose, so it became the thing to take their children to a practitioner who had the child hold the offending item in one hand and tried to push down their arm in order to "diagnose" if they were allergic. Please, I've been trained in that and am thus qualified to declare it BS - might as well use a ouija board to diagnose allergies. Add to that that the only, I repeat, ONLY sign of an allergy was that the child misbehaved when they ate the item they were supposedly allergic to (and what they were allergic to expanded with their misbehavior), and you can see what I'm talking about. Likewise with people who have the allergy du jour but never have symptoms if they accidentally are served it and eat it with relish and ask for seconds.

All of this makes it hard for people with food allergies to be taken seriously; I even have a hard time with taking it seriously, and I carry an epipen with me everywhere. I do think that this is one answer for why suddenly so many people have food allergies when in past practically no one did. Practically no one STILL has food allergies, but a lot of people determinedly diagnose themselves as having it, and the media makes it easier for them to get ideas for what makes them "special" and in need of special treatment and consideration.

The children mentioned above? When they came to my house, I conscientiously got a list of their food allergies from their parents. (Half my daughter's school fell into this category.) When I offered things to the children that weren't on the list, I'd get "I'm allergic to that" until I explained that in OUR house, you could just say you didn't like something, you didn't have to be allergic to it. See the damage the parents were doing to their children?

I've watched this happen over and over with each new "condition" that hits the media. Sensory issues is very likely no different; many parents use it as an excuse for not actually parenting their children and/or to make them seem "special". Which is going to make it difficult for those who actually have sensory issues to be taken seriously. Just like everything else that comes down the pike.

I'd find it amusing if it didn't make it harder for those people who actually do have such problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think what txtqueen is talking about is the unfortunate bandwagon tendency these days where something that is diagnosable is discovered that a tiny portion of the population has, and suddenly everyone wants to claim that they or their child has it. It's made it difficult for people with true allergies to be taken seriously because suddenly everyone has a food allergy.
This is true of many diagnoses, including ADHD that I know of. I can easily imagine this is an issue for other diagnoses as well.

In addition, one thing that no one considers is the potential impact to the mis - "diagnosed" child. What weird relationship with food will a child have if their parents are fixating on a non-existing allergy to explain what is probably just a dislike. The child misses the opportunity to just learn the very simple skill of dealing with a dislike. The same goes for a child with parents who might need a minor disciplinary adjustment. If diagnosed with ADHD, then in addition to having to deal with all that entails, the trigger to spawn some parenting education is totally missed. Lest you think I am a big fat meanie calling parents bad parents, that is not the case since I AM that bad parent. Luckily I had a pediatrician who had the nut to say before I am going to talk to you about ADHD, I want to ensure that the ineffective discipline is not really the root cause. He did not say exactly that. Much more tactful than I.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My point is these kids are running up and down the isles ahahhhhhhhhh ahhhhhahahahahhhhh. Yes my child has sensory issues, mom says this as the child is rubbing all over stuff.

I just got it again today. Girl looks totally normal, has worn legging her whole life mom states this, says daughter has sensory issues, no lady your daughter isn't used to wearing jeans.

Tags in clothing make me want to drop a box of kittens into a volcano, slouchy socks, loose jeans, baggy clothes, rolled down waistbands, the ridge in socks.....etc annoy the **** out of me too, I never have and never will have sensory issues. I'm just burger king, I'll have it my way.

My concern is the parents are self diagnosing or even worse doctors are labeling every little Timmy and little Susie as having sensory issues. Seriously it is degrading to kids who actually have sensory issues, oh little tommy doesn't like wool, he has sensory issues while little jimmy who actually has sensory issues is like ***** please you have no idea.

All hail A64!!
You are overthinking this. All of the things you mention above are sensory issues. If something does not feel right to you then you have an issue with your sense of touch. There does not have to be a diagnosed medical problem for a person to have sensory issues.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You are overthinking this. All of the things you mention above are sensory issues. If something does not feel right to you then you have an issue with your sense of touch. There does not have to be a diagnosed medical problem for a person to have sensory issues.
No that's discrediting to people go have actual sensory issues.

Sometimes my bra is uncomfy or is itchy, does that mean I have sensory issues as well?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
No that's discrediting to people go have actual sensory issues.

Sometimes my bra is uncomfy or is itchy, does that mean I have sensory issues as well?
Sensory issues just means something merits attention and pertains to the senses. It does not have to rise to the level of a medical problem to bother a person.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sensory issues just means something merits attention and pertains to the senses. It does not have to rise to the level of a medical problem to bother a person.
"sensory issues" is a term used to describe children with sensory issues not children who are picky about clothing.
Everyone to a degree is picky about clothing and fabrics, which does not mean they have sensory issues.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think what txtqueen is talking about is the unfortunate bandwagon tendency these days where something that is diagnosable is discovered that a tiny portion of the population has, and suddenly everyone wants to claim that they or their child has it. It's made it difficult for people with true allergies to be taken seriously because suddenly everyone has a food allergy. I've seen situations where parents claimed food allergies for their children that the allergy doctors could not diagnose, so it became the thing to take their children to a practitioner who had the child hold the offending item in one hand and tried to push down their arm in order to "diagnose" if they were allergic. Please, I've been trained in that and am thus qualified to declare it BS - might as well use a ouija board to diagnose allergies. Add to that that the only, I repeat, ONLY sign of an allergy was that the child misbehaved when they ate the item they were supposedly allergic to (and what they were allergic to expanded with their misbehavior), and you can see what I'm talking about. Likewise with people who have the allergy du jour but never have symptoms if they accidentally are served it and eat it with relish and ask for seconds.

All of this makes it hard for people with food allergies to be taken seriously; I even have a hard time with taking it seriously, and I carry an epipen with me everywhere. I do think that this is one answer for why suddenly so many people have food allergies when in past practically no one did. Practically no one STILL has food allergies, but a lot of people determinedly diagnose themselves as having it, and the media makes it easier for them to get ideas for what makes them "special" and in need of special treatment and consideration.

The children mentioned above? When they came to my house, I conscientiously got a list of their food allergies from their parents. (Half my daughter's school fell into this category.) When I offered things to the children that weren't on the list, I'd get "I'm allergic to that" until I explained that in OUR house, you could just say you didn't like something, you didn't have to be allergic to it. See the damage the parents were doing to their children?

I've watched this happen over and over with each new "condition" that hits the media. Sensory issues is very likely no different; many parents use it as an excuse for not actually parenting their children and/or to make them seem "special". Which is going to make it difficult for those who actually have sensory issues to be taken seriously. Just like everything else that comes down the pike.

I'd find it amusing if it didn't make it harder for those people who actually do have such problems.
I do think it creates confusion when people mistakenly label food intolerances as food allergies but I also don't think that people should be so quick to judge others for taking action and addressing intolerances that cannot be diagnosed by an allergist because they are different from food allergies. If a child has explosive diarrhea, reflux a rash, sleep problems and crying fits every time they ingest dairy but they don't test positive for a dairy allergy, the parent may choose to keep them off of dairy (rightly so, imo) and considering many, if not most people will not take them seriously because many people do not understand food intolerances then maybe the parent chooses to use the word, allergy. Not saying it's right but I totally get why a parent would use that term. To bring it back to the op, I also get why parents may use the sensory label without a diagnosis because it's a quick term that most everyone understands that can sum up a lot in a few words.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM

It doesn't sum up anything.
Just baffles me because apparently a vast majority of female children have sensory issues.

One woman came in child was not with her, her daughter wheelchair bound and didn't like certain fabrics, I can see that clearly being sensory issues.
The child whining about something being too itchy is not a sensory issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
txtqueen. I hope you get an itchy kid! Everything is relative. If the fabric is itchy then it is a sensory issue to that child. Who cares what it is or isn't to you. You are there to sell clothing and help customers, not make judgments about medical conditions or preferences.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
It doesn't sum up anything.
Of corse it does, it say's, "my child is sensitive to seams, tags, labels, fabrics, etc in clothing and will not wear the clothes that I just spent x amont of dollars on so I want to return them.

Quote:
Just baffles me because apparently a vast majority of female children have sensory issues.

One woman came in child was not with her, her daughter wheelchair bound and didn't like certain fabrics, I can see that clearly being sensory issues.
The child whining about something being too itchy is not a sensory issue.
Many children will refuse to wear clothing that bothers them. The parents are not saying "my child has sensory integration disorder", they are saying, "my child has sensory issues", meaning, my child is sensitive to fabrics, seams, etc. which is true if the clothing is itchy or bothersome enough where they won't wear it. Why would you think the wheelchair bound child who doesn't like certain fabrics obviously has sensory issues while the child complaining about the itchy fabric does not? Same thing as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting