Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

OK...I need ideas please Two of my nieces will be going on for surgery in December. I don't think my DH and I will be close by when they go so we are sending them gifts. One girl is 15 and the other one is 20. We will get them each an I-Tunes card, and where do I buy those, lol?, each a Taylor Swift Tee shirt which they want, and I want to make a "Fun Box" for each of them. You know..little things to cheer them up...I was thinking of things like:

Those funny socks with the toes
Funky ear muffs
Mad Libs
Puzzle Books
Rubik's cube
Comics
Silly Putty
Joke Books
Candy Rings, necklaces, bracelets
Maybe a craft for them to work on
Books???
Magazines

I know they are older but I wanted to cheer them up and give them something to laugh and smile about. They will be in the hospital for a week and recover at home for another 2-3 weeks.

So any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I don't have kids of my own that age so I have no idea what would be fun besides electronics.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I would take the money you were looking to spend on the trinket stuff, and instead buy a couple of DVDs of popular movies, books, and magazines. ITunes gift cards can be bought anywhere, even the checkout at the grocery store.

I realize you are trying to go for the "fun" factor, but those items seem awfully young for the ages of your nieces. Maybe throw in some nail polish and a manicure set.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I agree those items, especially the Silly Putty, crafts and candy necklaces, are for much younger children. The puzzle books/MadLibs might be Ok.

I assume they have phones. The iTunes gift cards are an excellent idea for that, and my kids that are are always losing their earbuds. An extra set is a nice treat so they can listen to music quietly.

Do they like any girly magazines like InStyle, People etc.? Those are kind of fun if you're stuck in bed.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Sudoku is popular with all ages.
I agree that the silly putting and candy trinkets would not be appreciated. I can just see them now rolling their eyes at some of that stuff
teens love gossip mags like People, some of the British mags, a popular paperback novel, hand lotions, chap stick, dvds

joke books, comics, ear muffs---I don't think so.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
One thing to consider is what kind of surgery it is they will be having....if it is anything to do with mouth/throat/stomach then many foods may not be a good idea. Special ice cream or pudding could be a nice treat if so. Otherwise snack baskets are great, and something they can share if they choose. Their favorite fruit, chips, candy, crackers and so on.

If it is something that will keep them from moving off the bed or couch easily, then maybe a fun tote that can hold magazines and books or whatever they want to keep right at hand. Or a bed tray/lap board. If they don't have a portable DVD player or laptop at their disposal, then a movie may not be a good idea.

If it is something that will prevent lots of visitors, then it will need to be something they can enjoy alone. Depending on what they like....puzzles, magazines, books, handheld games (20 questions anyone?) deck of cards, etc.

If they will be having lots of visitors, then consider something they might enjoy with their friends. For whatever reason fake mustaches are the rage here and gives my 14 yr old and her friends hours of entertainment. Minute to win it type games, cookies and the stuff to decorate them or bead making kits as examples.

Another thing to consider is things for their comfort if they just won't feel up to doing much at all....snuggie or blanket, fuzzy socks, bed rest pillow, soft pj's. Maybe in favorite theme.

So, mainly I'm saying think about what they will be able to do after the surgery and match your gifts to that as well as what they like.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Thanks all.

OK...I guess the fun stuff is out. Boy kids today are boring, lol. Even I would like fluffy socks and mad libs. Then again I was also outside playing hopscotch with my granddaughter this summer

I didn't think the stuff would be necessary too young since they want Taylor Swift Tees

I will stick with puzzle books and the I-tunes gift card.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Magazines, chap stick, some candy bars and other little snacks (because hospital food is not that great)

The funny toe socks would be a good idea, my 23 year old sister still likes those so I don't think 20 is too old for them. They have those at Target.

A couple of Santa hats might be nice if they'll be in the hospital near Christmastime...cover up bed head and look cute and seasonal at the same time.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I still think the Mad Libs are a great idea, and it's something they could do if they're recuperating together.

You're a nice aunt!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,369 times
Suduko is very popular, all ages love it and it is a good way for them to pass the time in bed. DVD's, CD's, magazines, cute socks (even the ones with the toes), candy bars. Find out if they read, a book is always a great gift.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,181 times
Walmart and Target usually have Christmas socks for girls/ladies - Old Navy (and prob. many other places) sell fleece headbands that stretch and cover the ears if the weather is cold (not as confining as a hat) - Im partial to chapstick which has been mentioned (seasonal peppermint. apple cider or choc. flavors, if you can find them) - magazines are always good too - they probably have decks of cards they can play games w/ or online - maybe bring them a pizza into the hospital if their diet isnt restricted (or give Pizza Hut or Papa John's gift cards, if they exist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting