Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The morning after pill PREVENTS implantation, most importantly it prevents fertilization. It does not kill or do anything to the egg after implantation.
The "egg" being prevented from implantation (i.e., killed) is fertilized, and is therefore an embryo.

But thanks for the education, hon. Let's respect the moderator's request, shall we?

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-27-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's the good news America. This poster is entitled to his beliefs. (Though why he feels he has the right - and the constant need - to tell us what we should do remains unclear.)He believes certain things. Fine.

Everyone else is free to believe whatever they want. We are also entitled to decide for ourselves whether or not our OWN minor children have access to this pill or any form of birth control. He doesn't get to decide. Neither does his church or the guy who cut me off in traffic this morning.

The literature on the pill is out there. I give everyone here credit for being intelligent enough to decide on their own their feelings about it and its use. And, God bless America, no one has the right to tell us we MUST use it or we that CAN'T use it. Somebody actually made laws that said we have the right to choose for ourselves what we believe is best for our children.
Actually, at least in my state, parents are not entitled to decide that their minor children (after the age of 13) can or cannot be on any form of birth control.

I would like a prescription for Vicodin or something similar just in case I hurt myself.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The education I got from the Catholic school was not to hide the truth about birth control or biology as I see being prevalent among today's christians, but to educate about the truth without the assumption that knowledge would result in immoral action. The immorality is not in KNOWING about pre-marital sex and its details but in choosing to DO it.
Sounds like your Catholic school did better than mine. We learned about the rhythm method in 8th grade, we learned about abstinence in high school. And that was it. Nothing about disease, nothing useful about birth control.

I chose to educate myself and was fortunate that the library had the information I needed, in books that looked non-threatening enough to my mother that I was allowed to read them. I had friends in high school who got pregnant. One of them got married, another disappeared for six months and when she came back, she didn't have a baby. I wasn't sexually active, but I was considered one of the bad girls...the one you asked if you needed to know about symptoms of pregnancy or about the pros and cons of different methods of birth control, because I read everything I could find and I wasn't shy about sharing the information.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Actually, at least in my state, parents are not entitled to decide that their minor children (after the age of 13) can or cannot be on any form of birth control.
Point taken.

I was more concerned with making the point that no specific religion or set of beliefs gets to decide what we do.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Well that's what they want. They want to control everyone and set laws against these things to limit the "immorality" of others.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The "egg" being prevented from implantation (i.e., killed) is fertilized, and is therefore an embryo.

But thanks for the education, hon. Let's respect the moderator's request, shall we?
From the article:
Quote:
The most common form of emergency contraception is a high dose of a regular birth control pill such as Plan B and Plan B One-Step from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd or Next Choice from Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc. They generally sell for $10 to $80 and are most effective in the first 24 hours.

All work by preventing ovulation, not by stopping the implantation of a fertilized egg. "These are not abortifacients," said Breuner.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

I would like a prescription for Vicodin or something similar just in case I hurt myself.
The MAP is available without a prescription if you're over 17. Hence the idea that parents could have it on hand if their daughters needed it.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's the good news America. This poster is entitled to his beliefs. (Though why he feels he has the right - and the constant need - to tell us what we should do remains unclear.)He believes certain things. Fine.

Everyone else is free to believe whatever they want. We are also entitled to decide for ourselves whether or not our OWN minor children have access to this pill or any form of birth control. He doesn't get to decide. Neither does his church or the guy who cut me off in traffic this morning.

The literature on the pill is out there. I give everyone here credit for being intelligent enough to decide on their own their feelings about it and its use. And, God bless America, no one has the right to tell us we MUST use it. Somebody actually made laws that said we have the right to choose for ourselves what we believe is best for our children.

Lots of smart parents out there who discuss these things with their children and come to their own conclusions about what is right and what is best. This board continues to illustrate that. Thinking otherwise is..... odd. (Though I think it's unhappiness that everyone isn't thinking the way they should. Wink. Wink.)
Just bringing this very thing up again. In the event it was missed the first time around. This is exactly what it boils down to. It's a wonderful thing to live in a country that allows us the freedom to practice (or not) our religion (or not). And make our family planning decisions accordingly. Not according to someone else's belief system.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
This discussion keeps veering off-topic, and into areas that are beyond the scope of this forum, so I'm closing the thread. As I mentioned upthread, you're welcome to continue the conversation in Politics, Religion or Great Debates.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting