Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I really didnt expect this to happen so soon. My 1 year old is starting to act a bit bratty. She'll be doing something she KNOWS she;s not supposed to and when I tell her to stop she gives me this look like you wouldnt believe. I mean the whole 9 yards poking her bottom lip out and chin down staring at me with eyes that look mad and sad at the same time. Ive gotten into the habit of just saying stop giving me that look and then ignore her but shes starting to have tantrums! I mean all out on the floor crying and all. SHES 1 !! Negative behavior does not get rewarded in my house so she gets put in the playpen in her room and left alone until she can act like a normal little girl. She usually ends up crying herself to sleep.

I need help what can I do to get her out of this stage? Am I wrong in thinking this is coming way too early? Am I reacting properly? Are there better ways to go about her "punishment"

I cant wait to see the teen years.

ETA : This is a rare occasion I would say twice a month. Usually when she comes back from Grannys.
Good God! She is one! At this age, all you have to do is redirect her from getting into dangerous situations. No need for timeouts or punishing. Please get some books about child development from the library. At this rate you will be hitting her in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I spanked my at son at 8 weeks old, and today he is 43, and doing well,
and still alive, and love me very much ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
She's tired, and transitions (from grandma's to home) can be difficult for kids. I think she's too young to be purposely misbehaving, and she's too young for spanking or timeouts. I think putting her in her pack-n-play and walking away for a few minutes is fine. As she gets a little older, I recommend ignoring tantrums.

IME the "terrible 2's" start at 18 months and last until age 5.

ETA you might want to ask grandma is she's napping on schedule at her house. Around 1 year is when a lot of kids transition from 2 naps to 1, too. That can be a difficult transition for parents.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I really didnt expect this to happen so soon. My 1 year old is starting to act a bit bratty. She'll be doing something she KNOWS she;s not supposed to and when I tell her to stop she gives me this look like you wouldnt believe. I mean the whole 9 yards poking her bottom lip out and chin down staring at me with eyes that look mad and sad at the same time. Ive gotten into the habit of just saying stop giving me that look and then ignore her but shes starting to have tantrums! I mean all out on the floor crying and all. SHES 1 !! Negative behavior does not get rewarded in my house so she gets put in the playpen in her room and left alone until she can act like a normal little girl. She usually ends up crying herself to sleep.

I need help what can I do to get her out of this stage? Am I wrong in thinking this is coming way too early? Am I reacting properly? Are there better ways to go about her "punishment"

I cant wait to see the teen years.

ETA : This is a rare occasion I would say twice a month. Usually when she comes back from Grannys.
Lighten up. She is learning about her environment . . .it's not a conspiracy - develop a sense of humor and don't take every little action so seriously. You must have too much time on your hands.

Edited to add: You sound like you might be a control freak. Let your daughter be, please don't try to "tame" her. Just love her.

Last edited by imcurious; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Good God! She is one! At this age, all you have to do is redirect her from getting into dangerous situations. No need for timeouts or punishing. Please get some books about child development from the library. At this rate you will be hitting her in a few months.

Hey now. I get where you are coming from. But the OP is very open to information and ideas. She is here for help such as you are giving. But delivery with honey instead of vinegar for this poster would be helpful.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Hey now. I get where you are coming from. But the OP is very open to information and ideas. She is here for help such as you are giving. But delivery with honey instead of vinegar for this poster would be helpful.
I hear you, but I immediately thought back to old posts when I read this. The OP had said in the past that she would "pop her child" in the mouth when she got older. It sounds like she is already heading down that path if she is already punishing a 1 yo. It makes me angry when people are so willing and ready to hurt a child.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I hear you, but I immediately thought back to old posts when I read this. The OP had said in the past that she would "pop her child" in the mouth when she got older. It sounds like she is already heading down that path if she is already punishing a 1 yo. It makes me angry when people are so willing and ready to hurt a child.

This one can be helped. Patience.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This one can be helped. Patience.
You may be right. I would love nothing better than to see that. I know she loves her daughter.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You may be right. I would love nothing better than to see that. I know she loves her daughter.

I have been able to work with some local folks around here who fight with their kids over discipline. I think a lot of people assume that you HAVE to fight with your kids about discipline. That it is SUPPOSED to be hard. This is how I start.

Close your eyes. (I know folks on this board can't! Or you won't be able to see to read the rest!) Envision this.

It is a work/school day. You wake up to your alarm clock, walk into the kitchen and grab a cup of coffee. Your child (9) walks in, fully dressed. Good morning! How did you sleep? Nice bonding connection. S/he begins to eat breakfast. Then s/he brushes his/her teeth. Hopefully remembers pit stick (11). There is extra time in the morning so they empty and load the dw. Parents are going about their morning routine as well, laundry, any dinner prep. 11 yo takes the car keys and goes to start the car. Parents say OK time to leave. Everyone gets in the car.

At this point, my friends open their eyes and say "yeah, right". That was my morning this morning and has been for every morning since 3rd grade.

Until a parent can believe in what is possible, they won't know to try to learn to strive for it.

But until parents can let go of the idea that discipline is what you do in reaction to misbehavior, that simply is not going to happen.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Nonsense. One year old children can and should be spanked for behaving this way. Consistently, and just enough to get their attention.

It works like this. Child starts throwing a tantrum. Parent says sternly (not shouting) "stop the tantrum and go sit on the sofa". Child disobeys. Parent administers spanking and sets child on sofa. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

Barney Fife - Nip It - YouTube
This will work for a child who is a Sensing type (Myers Briggs) but not with a Intuitive type. Sensing types are detail oriented and rule followers and will submit to the punishment. Intuitives are leaders and will rebel.

I don't think it's a good idea either way, but I think the MBTI types helps to explain why it "works" in some cases and doesn't in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting