Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

personally I think too many parents are abdicating parental responsibilities to electronic devices. If you're too busy to parent, then don't have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
You don't think fine motor skills are learned by using a tablet or iphone?? As someone pointed out, just because it's new doesn't make it bad. ... I think you all are overreacting.
I'm not a Luddite. I have no problems with kids and technology. On principle, I don't believe kids should watch DVDs in the minivan while driving around town, but I can't even count the number of screens we have in our house.

Still, I am addressing the conflict and the dad's expectations, which is where the real problem is.

At this point, a Leap Frog probably is too babyish, but an iPad is not made for a 3-year-old. You already admitted your son throws your iPhone, which illustrates this perfectly.

Maybe the Nexus is a good compromise, but Dad has to understand a toddler's limitations and be sure he isn't inserting something into this kid's routine that will delay other stuff he has to learn. Also, this approach could set a precedent he doesn't want to undo later. He already called the kid a "prodigy." Is he gonna hand him the car keys at age 9 just because he can work the pedals and wheel?

Dad also has to know when to put off his own wants.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
personally I think too many parents are abdicating parental responsibilities to electronic devices. If you're too busy to parent, then don't have kids.
Oh please.

If the OP was abdicating his responsibilities, he'd buy a second iPad and let the kid have at it all day. As it stands now, he's limiting the time it's used and considering a lower priced tablet. I see nothing wrong with it as long as it is limited so a set amount of time each day. A Nexus or lower priced Android tablet is far more useful than a limited, proprietary Leapfrog device.

For a 3 year old, I'd stay away from the Nexus and get one of those $99. tablets with the latest version of Android. At least if it breaks it's not a huge investment. I don't see anything wrong with loading it up with edu apps, locking it down and limiting daily use. I think 3 is way too young to be getting a tablet at all, but that's not the question the OP was asking. If they are going to get another tablet, then beating them up about that decision might make one feel all self-righteous and everything but really doesn't add much to the conversation.

The bigger problem I see in the OP is the reason for the additional tablet coming into the household. It's not because there is a need for it for some pressing reason, but because the child won't give the single tablet that they have. That's something that should be addressed pronto.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The bigger problem I see in the OP is the reason for the additional tablet coming into the household. It's not because there is a need for it for some pressing reason, but because the child won't give the single tablet that they have. That's something that should be addressed pronto.
Yep!

OP is not trying to abdicate his parenting duties. He is trying to find something that works for everyone.

Still, "which device" isn't really the issue.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 11-28-2012 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
I ordered my 8 year old a super cheap tablet on Cyber Monday. I got both a tablet and a sturdy case for right around $50. I could have bought her a bigger and better one, but this will be her first tablet and I want to make sure she really understands how to take care of it before we invest in something more expensive. I am also a bit afraid that she will drop it.

No. I am not abdicating my parental responsibilities by getting her this toy. Just like I wasn't abdicating my responsibilities when I bought her dress-up clothes or her Barbies.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Ouch.

If I tell my children to read a book while I'm working from home or making dinner is that abdicating parental responsibility to a book?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ouch.

If I tell my children to read a book while I'm working from home or making dinner is that abdicating parental responsibility to a book?
That is it exactly. The book will now cook all of the meals, do the laundry, bathe the kid, help it with its homework, play board games, go on bike rides, advise them when as they get older, and all of the millions of things that a parent does.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
1) The hour a day is a max noted by a pediatrician. It is a combined recommendation of tv and electronics.

2) as long as I'm not violating the max (per 1) the ipad/nexus is far preferable to television.

3) as always, trains/blocks/toys are the childs main toys throughout the day. He does tricycle, strider pre-bike, swimming lessons, etc. once a week railroad museum, once a week children's museum (at least), now that is cold zoo visits down. Its not like he stays home everyday.

4) kids are up for long time. He sleeps 2hrs everyday nap. He sleeps 8pm to 7am everyday for bed time. no issues. We are talking 1 hr out of 12.

I wonder, is there really all these parents who NEVER let their kids do anything other than play blocks? no curious george or cars 2 on the television? No cartoons at all?

or is there some thought that if your going to do 1hr it should be television (which I disagree with)

5) I have no problem saying no. If I want the ipad, I do say no.

Yet if we are trying to get something done. . .tv/ipad/nexus are easier. After dinner we go play trains. . .or something else. Where I can help. he is 3 not 4 or 5. His brother is too young to play with him. He wants someone to play with.

I guess at the end of the day. I think the tablet is fun. It is better than television. I don't like him ever using the ipad, but I really think its awesome that he can play games and use it. . .and I don't want him to lose out on that as long as its responsible.

Plus, I would love a Jelly Bean Device int the house

In the end
I personally thought the Androids limitations (lock downs, kid interface load, etc) would make it preferable to both ipad and television. It is self regulating. It limits non-child content.

Leap Frog devices are $150 which is the comparison? Are people against those too?

nothing electronic? is that the world you live by.

T

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
By "you" I did not mean the OP. I apologize to those who thought I was speaking directly to the OP. I was talking about the general "you". I too have electronic devices in my home for my children and always have but it seems to me it is so much easier to hand a kid a device instead of actually sitting on the floor and playing with him. I've seen families out in public where everybody has an electronic device of some kind. no talking, no interaction, no relating. I think by starting out with electronic devices for a child this young, "we" might be starting a pattern of "here, play with this so I can get something done."

I worry about things like eye/hand coordination, manipulation exercises, too much screen time and frankly too much time alone with a machine. It only gets worse as they get older. We have 10 year old girls who would-if they could get away with it- spend hours a day on the computer, TV, kindle, wii, etc but I'm trying very hard to keep them interested in books, board games with the family, playing with each other.
There is nothing will ever take the place of holding a book. Due to vision problems I can no longer read a book so maybe I'm too sensitive to this. I can only read the largest font on my Kindle and I cannot tell you how much I miss the sensation of curling up with an old dog eared copy of a favorite book.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Due to vision problems I can no longer read a book so maybe I'm too sensitive to this. I can only read the largest font on my Kindle and I cannot tell you how much I miss the sensation of curling up with an old dog eared copy of a favorite book.
I've been thinking along the same lines. I think computers, iPads, whatever are terrific. But with electronics, the tactile sensations are missed. Remember the feeling of finger painting? All that lovely gooshy stuff between your fingers. Creating something with your hands. Smelling the paint. Seeing the colors change as you added a new color. Watching it dry on the line with all the other kids' paintings. Feeling the change in the texture of the paper. Taking it home and having Mom and Dad ooh and ahh over your creation.

I truly hope we don't become so computerized that kids miss out on things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting