Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I too have electronic devices in my home for my children and always have but it seems to me it is so much easier to hand a kid a device instead of actually sitting on the floor and playing with him.
Maybe to you it is. Then again, I'm trying to figure out the difference between setting the kid down with a book, a coloring book, a play kitchen, a doll house, a train set or an electronic device and having them play independently. Not every second of the day could (or should) be spent shadowing your kid. I love playing with my kids and my just turned 3 year old daughter is an absolute joy to play games with, converse with, stretch our imaginations, etc. However, she also has an independent streak which is great.

I'd step away from the broad brush and quit assuming that because a kid plays with an electronics device that it's taking away from some kind of much needed interaction time.

Quote:
I've seen families out in public where everybody has an electronic device of some kind. no talking, no interaction, no relating. I think by starting out with electronic devices for a child this young, "we" might be starting a pattern of "here, play with this so I can get something done."
As to the first point - we all see crazy things in public. I see kids acting crazy at the library - should I not go there? I see parents who go to the park with their kids who turn them loose and then completely ignore them for an hour. Are playgrounds the issue? Should I not take my kids to them? Would I be starting a pattern?

There are bad parents who misuse otherwise appropriate tools. There are good parents who hold biases as well. I wouldn't call it fair to take an example of the bad and then streak it across the entire spectrum.

As for the second, of course there are times the parents need to get something done. If independent play of any sort coincides with that, what is the harm? It's not like the parent is locking the kid in the dog crate or something. I used to play basketball while my parents were making dinner. Is that horrible or what?!

Quote:
I worry about things like eye/hand coordination, manipulation exercises, too much screen time and frankly too much time alone with a machine. It only gets worse as they get older. We have 10 year old girls who would-if they could get away with it- spend hours a day on the computer, TV, kindle, wii, etc but I'm trying very hard to keep them interested in books, board games with the family, playing with each other
Every kid is different. My brother and I both saved up and went in together to by an Atari when we were younger. It didn't stop my love for books, climbing trees or any of the my other activities. My brother hated reading. We both loved competing on the Atari though and enjoyed video games - we still do (although I haven't played much in the past decade). We sure weren't going to sit down together and do a jigsaw puzzle or discuss our favorite books. We each developed our own interests.

It's tough as a parent to manage that. But again, you are the parent. If you don't want your kids playing video games all day you take it out of the equation. You may get called dirty names, have the "it's not fair" response make it's presence known, but really who cares?

Manipulation, hand eye, etc aren't negatively impacted. If anything it provides a different medium to test that out on. As a kid I loved my speak and spell and other eletronic games that challenged my memory, response time, etc. It fed on my competative side in a way that also forced me learn.

Quote:
take the place of holding a book. Due to vision problems I can no longer read a book so maybe I'm too sensitive to this. I can only read the largest font on my Kindle and I cannot tell you how much I miss the sensation of curling up with an old dog eared copy of a favorite book.
Again, this is a "you" issue. Frankly, who are you to say there is nothing that can take the place of holding a book?! For you, maybe not. For someone else, they may think there is nothing that can take the place of having all their favorite books at their fingertips, favorite quotes bookmarked for easy reference, being able to explore like works and browse a vast library. Nothing wrong with that and this comes from someone that like you much prefers real books. I loved climbing up in a tree and reading, checking out books from the library and sitting on the grass with a snack, reading the book and then returning it to check out one to take home ....... but everyone is not me and that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The family (ie: parents/adults) are placing a premium on electronic devices so it's only natural the child will to. I'm not sure what to say about that except they are setting him and themselves up to need $$$$ things on a constant basis. I'm too frugal for that myself. It's not that we don't have devices at all, we are on a family iphone plan, but the "kids" are adults and I only got a hand me down when someone else upgraded. It's a cost I wish we didn't face and I wish the younger ones were less dependent since I won't be able to help them with future purchases. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be too many options left for people. I don't think I'd start a 3 year old on the path to dependence though, there is time enough for that later.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The family (ie: parents/adults) are placing a premium on electronic devices so it's only natural the child will to. I'm not sure what to say about that except they are setting him and themselves up to need $$$$ things on a constant basis. I'm too frugal for that myself. It's not that we don't have devices at all, we are on a family iphone plan, but the "kids" are adults and I only got a hand me down when someone else upgraded. It's a cost I wish we didn't face and I wish the younger ones were less dependent since I won't be able to help them with future purchases. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be too many options left for people. I don't think I'd start a 3 year old on the path to dependence though, there is time enough for that later.
Great post.

The OP wrote a second, very long post to tell us his child is using electronics for only one hour a day. Yet he's anxious to spend $200, or more, on something else. For the hour a day? For a three year old? Personally, I'd sit with the little guy, let him play with Dad's for the hour, then let him know that Parent sets the rules. Not the 3 year old. And stick that 200 bucks in the bank and use it in a few years when the 3 year old is in school and the inevitable improvements and advancements to the new "learning device" are made.

And I'd wouldn't let the 3 year old cover the expensive iPad with "smeary fingers" (why am I thinking stickiness?) but that's a whole other story.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
My Son

Has limited ipad time today, but always asked for it. Normally the prime time for ipad is during dinner preparation. . .He plays a few games, maybe watches a video. No more than 1hr per day is what we are striving for.. . .normally its less than that I think

The problems

Daddy wants the ipad too, so he can watch CNN in the kitchen while cooking
I have to keep cleaning it. . .somehow he always finds a way to touch it with smeary fingers.
Ipads are hard to "lock" down. . .at least really well
they are expensive. If I got a second one they start at $499

Solutions
My in-laws bought their kid a leapfrog device. Yet at $100-150 i'm not sold. Sure its durable but. . .their kid still asks for the iphone

I'm leaning toward a NEXUS 7, available at about $200 from the Google Store

1) things like playsafe allow you to limit the android. Android is more flexible system
2) Netflix as well as movies I can transfer to the device are avaialble.
3) lots of educational apps: memory games, stories/books,etc
4) youtube - ipad doesn't have this app anymore.

My idea/plan is to have the Nexus 7 more locked down. It only allows certain applications, only certain rated you tube stuff. Hopefully lock down the amount of time. . .and keep the kid off the ipad.
Considering the level of child obesity and poor health in this country, I'd be buying him a bicycle and an outdoor swingset/playset and make sure that he plays on them a minimum of two-three hours per day.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Great post.

The OP wrote a second, very long post to tell us his child is using electronics for only one hour a day. Yet he's anxious to spend $200, or more, on something else. For the hour a day? For a three year old? Personally, I'd sit with the little guy, let him play with Dad's for the hour, then let him know that Parent sets the rules. Not the 3 year old. And stick that 200 bucks in the bank and use it in a few years when the 3 year old is in school and the inevitable improvements and advancements to the new "learning device" are made.

And I'd wouldn't let the 3 year old cover the expensive iPad with smeary fingers but that's a whole other story.

I will admit to being a tech geek, and putting a high premium on my gadgets. The samsung tv, the SSD laptop (and soon desktop), Tivo Premiere, Galaxy Nexus, Iphone 5, Xbox 360, kinect, and PS3 are all fun toys for me.

As part of that geekdom I admit that for $200 the primary user may be the son, but I don't think it would be fair to say he would be the only user. Its a 7 inch Nexus tablet with JellyBean. I'm sure my wife will use it (especially if they port that Tivo Streaming app to Android) so I can stick with the ipad when the kids aren't around.

1) its better than TV
2) its educational/better than leapfrog
3) its versatile (leapfrog is kid only, me/wife can use this one too)

I would hand down a cell phone, but not for a long time. Those things are expensive, and open up a whole new can of worms.

Tablets are something else. They are story machines/books, card games (memory), video players all in one. Its so much better than buying a leapfrog device. Yes Tablets will be better next year. Not cheaper, just better. Thats life of technology. If you save your money for the greatest thing you would be missing out on a lot of fun.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Considering the level of child obesity and poor health in this country, I'd be buying him a bicycle and an outdoor swingset/playset and make sure that he plays on them a minimum of two-three hours per day.

20yrsinBranson
That is a fair comment - though he has a Strider bike. And its cold in denver, so I'm going to try to get him skiing. Though swings are not always available.

We also buy bulk tickets to Monkey Business.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
If you save your money for the greatest thing you would be missing out on a lot of fun.
You're very good at justifying things.

Funny thing. For many people on this planet fun is not dependent on electronics. Though, considering your list, I'm guessing in your house it is.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM

Most of the world doesn't matter

Also, the issues with obesity go well beyond play time ...... i know many skinny shut ins and many chubby active kids - it's never just one thing

if his kid has the right diet, has some play time in his day and right genetics spending an hour before dinner on an electronic gadget isn't going to make him any fatter than spending that hour doing a puzzle or even spending that hour sitting on a swing

my daughter is on her bike everyday, she is on our backyard swingset probably 2-3x per week ..... she is outside on the one at our sitters probably 4-5 days per week (outside pretty much everyday) .... she likes to run, likes to climb, loves hitting the ball off the tee, play hide & seek and get all sorts of play and activity ....... she also loves to read books at night, to color, to play with her dolls, playdough, puzzle, activity book (she frequently asks to do seat work), we play board games together, tell stories and discuss each others day (for reference she just turned 3) ....... I guess all of that gets negated if she plays with her leap pad, draws on my phone or watches an episode of curious george ...... believe it or not there is a thing called balance

I can see, appreciate and largely agree with the point about escalating the cost of toys/play items .... leap pad stuff is expensive so we don't have a ton on there .... there are also some play items that it doesn't make sense to accumulate given how infrequently they are played with or how quickly they are outgrown ...... I can totally see not wanting to make such an investment .... but we can lay off the hyperbole that having an electronic item will make your kid a fatty with a head full of mush

Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
As I mentioned earlier I am not opposed to children using technology, at appropriate ages, in appropriate amounts and for appropriate activities. However, I have seen many, many situations where one or more of these qualifications were severely abused.

I was discussing this thread with a fellow teacher today. She works part time in an after school program for school age children held at the YMCA. She mentioned one third grade child whose parents bought him a cell phone for his birthday to use for emergencies. She said that his whole personality changed from a friendly outgoing child playing basketball or other games with his friends after school to just sitting on a bench playing hours of games on his "emergency use only" cell phone, just ignoring anyone who wanted to talk to him (including the teachers in charge of the program).

She also noticed that the child began to look very tired and worn out. When she expressed her concern, Mom said "Johnny is playing games on his phone many nights to 1AM or 2AM and I don't know how to get him to stop". It is obvious to most people that there are many things wrong with this situation. Shouldn't it occur to Mom that Johnny doesn't need his "emergency use only" phone when he is at home in his bedroom?

There are certain family situations where an emergency cell phone for a 9 year old would be very appropriate but parents allowing that 9 year old child to stay up playing games on their phone to 1AM or 2AM "many nights" doesn't seem very reasonable. Is the main blame the "addictiveness" of the technology or the poor parenting skills?

I know that I am posting anecdotal information. However, it wouldn't be so easy to find example after example if these devices would not be such a huge problem in society today.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

I think you could find several such devices and things throughout history ....... even going back a couple of decades I had friends who had TVs and video game systems in their room that were played too much, I used to listen to radio programs later than I should have and I know that both my wife and I have admitted to stashing small lights in our rooms so we could stay up late and read

I do think the new technology is a little bit more prevelant and there are some unique challenges with it (especially when you throw in social aspects ...... no one in school would care about me staying up reading (if anything I would probably catch heat for it), but you could probably get some brag points in certain circles if you stayed up and cleared a level of a certain game

I still think the core issue is parenting ... I don't see any point in complaining your kid is staying up to late playing a game on their phone and acting like there is nothing you can do about it, when the solution is pretty obvious ..... if they can't tackle that one then they are pretty much doomed for the other and unfortunately the kid is going to have to develop his own rudder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting