Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,494,368 times

Advertisements

I read an article yesterday about parents using papoose boards to restrain kids (usually special needs kids) who are raging and violent and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. Looking at pictures of papoose boards and what it looks like with a kid strapped in one I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth. It looks borderline abusive and I would think if I was strapped into one of those in a fit of anger I would be even more upset. But then again what do you do when you have a 6-year old coming at you with nails, teeth and feet? Maybe restraint is necessary and this is a good effective option.
What do you think? Abusive or necessary evil?

Here is a picture of one: Olympic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,847,663 times
I cannot comment on their use for special needs children, perhaps in extreme cases they really are a safe method of restraint.

I do remember my son being placed in one prior to getting stitches in the emergency room. It freaked him out, far more than the idea of the sutures. I would never allow it again.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,495,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I read an article yesterday about parents using papoose boards to restrain kids (usually special needs kids) who are raging and violent and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. Looking at pictures of papoose boards and what it looks like with a kid strapped in one I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth. It looks borderline abusive and I would think if I was strapped into one of those in a fit of anger I would be even more upset. But then again what do you do when you have a 6-year old coming at you with nails, teeth and feet? Maybe restraint is necessary and this is a good effective option.
What do you think? Abusive or necessary evil?

Here is a picture of one: Olympic

I don't think it will work as 98% of the problem is the screaming and yelling during a tantrum. Sure she won't move around but (for us) that isn't the problem as the crying and screaming.

Last edited by Charles; 11-30-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,458,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I cannot comment on their use for special needs children, perhaps in extreme cases they really are a safe method of restraint.

I do remember my son being placed in one prior to getting stitches in the emergency room. It freaked him out, far more than the idea of the sutures. I would never allow it again.
Yes, my daughter was in the ER with croup when she was 3 and needed and IV for dehydration. They wanted to restrain her with something like that. My husband (who took her while I was home with the baby) refused and talked her through it without any hands on. She did great! She even has good memories of the situation...probably wouldn't be the case if they had restrained her.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,788,335 times
I have never seen these used by parents - only in the hospital to restrain a child who needed a procedure without anesthesia.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

655 posts, read 1,122,139 times
I hate those things. I actually went to a dentist that had one hanging on the wall in every exam room. I asked what they were used for and I was told they used them on the younger ones so they couldn't move during cleanings and checkups (and I am sure other procedures). We never went back there after that visit.

I am sorry but if you need one of those to do a cleaning then you are not doing it right. This is why kids have a fear and distrust of dentists and doctors. Most of the time an upfront explanation of what is going to happen and a little hand holding is all you need. I am only speaking of routine procedures....there may be extreme cases where restraint is necessary for the safety and health of the child.

I have never seen them used by parents and would have to agree that it probably would make a tantrum worse.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,363,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I hate those things. I actually went to a dentist that had one hanging on the wall in every exam room. I asked what they were used for and I was told they used them on the younger ones so they couldn't move during cleanings and checkups (and I am sure other procedures). We never went back there after that visit.

I am sorry but if you need one of those to do a cleaning then you are not doing it right. This is why kids have a fear and distrust of dentists and doctors. Most of the time an upfront explanation of what is going to happen and a little hand holding is all you need. I am only speaking of routine procedures....there may be extreme cases where restraint is necessary for the safety and health of the child.

I have never seen them used by parents and would have to agree that it probably would make a tantrum worse.
I had to take my 7 year old daughter to the dentist to get a tooth extracted. They gave me a whole bunch of forms to sign. Thank God I'm one of those that actually reads. On one line, it said that I gave them the permission to use a papoose board if needed. I had no idea what the heck that was, and assumed it was a dental instrument. When I asked, and the receptionist explained it.... I was shocked. I practically screamed, "you mean a straight jacket???", and told her I absolutely would not allow that, and off we went to find a new dentist.

As far as parenting, obviously, it would have to be a special needs child that normal discipline does not work on. I would like to think not, but some of these children are so violent to others and themselves, I guess there is no other choice. If you notice, it has a head restraint, or else they slam their head against the floor so hard, they can give themselves concussions. I've read some stories as well, and I can't imagine being in a position where you would need to buy one of those, but some people unfortunately are.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,575,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have never seen these used by parents - only in the hospital to restrain a child who needed a procedure without anesthesia.
My daughter needed one for some stiches without anesthesia. She was one and had sliced open the side of her foot.

For raging behavior, some kids do respond better to being held closely (others may hate it intensely). Kicking and flailing may be in response to too much nervous stimulation, and being hugged or wrapped quells that feeling, like pressing down on a pain or itch. When she was younger, a girl in my daughter's class used to wrap a blanket tightly around her shoulders like a shawl, hugging herself, when she started to get upset.

Of course, this should only be used with the advice of a doctor or trained therapist, but that should go without saying.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM

25,675 posts, read 21,838,722 times
I have a son with special needs who is now an adult. I NEVER agreed to any form of physical restraint other than holding him. In his younger years, he was strong and physically violent but we worked through it. Too many people just seek easy answers without considering the consequences.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
When we brought our 3 month old Korean born daughter home it was advised she have a hepatitis blood test. I waited until she was about 1 year old to take her in. The tech was as scared as the baby was and had no business even trying. It was a nightmare. I held her in my arms and tried to comfort her but after awhile I was told they could put her in restraints and it would be just fine. NO WAY was I going to do this. She wasn't sick, had no symptoms and I didn't feel it was necessary. We left with both of us in tears. She's 29 years old now and I guess if she had hep it would have shown up by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting