Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Num, check out thinkgeek.com if you haven't yet. I love their stuff.
Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I always get kids the book 700 Science Experiments You Can Do At Home. There are a bunch of other similiar books and can be selected for the age of the child. Even as an adult, I love the experiments and they are great to do as a family.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
My friends and I were laughing/crying about a 1960s girls' microscope set advertisement one of them found. While we were encouraged that someone out there was trying to interest girls in science, the microscope was pink, which was bad enough, but the worst part was the box for the girls' version said "Laboratory Technician Microscope" and the equivalent boys' version said "Laboratory Scientist Microscope." Ironically, the four us involved in the discussion are all women with graduate degrees in biology.

btw, I don't think those little compound microscopes are much fun for kids. A much better option is a dissecting microscope with much lower magnification but which makes it really interesting to look at insects, leaves, rocks, etc. - you don't have to prepare slides, and you can better see things in nature around you that are actually whole organisms or large parts of them, like seeds, etc. You can only look at very, very thin sections of things with the compound microscopes, and most kids and their parents aren't equipped to prepare slides that transmit enough light.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
i'm looking for clothes for my 11 yr old daughter- that aren't too girly, nothing pink, nothing with a designers name on it, no ruffles, just comfortable and interesting, any ideas? Target, Old Navy, Macy's-can't find anything....

Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randies1 View Post
i'm looking for clothes for my 11 yr old daughter- that aren't too girly, nothing pink, nothing with a designers name on it, no ruffles, just comfortable and interesting, any ideas? Target, Old Navy, Macy's-can't find anything....
My 11 yo daughters love Land's End clothes. It is possible to find the exact type of clothes you are looking for. BTW You should have started a new thread on this topic instead of posting in one about science for girls. You will get more responses. Ask the mod to move it for you by using the last icon on the right hand side at the top. ( wonky triangle outlined in red)

Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM

8 posts, read 174,766 times
My girl is also a science fan! She loves beestar science. The 10 quick question worksheets are full of all real life world problems, challenging stuff to help her thinking. She enjoys competing on this site with other kids from a lot of other states a lot. There are ribbons, honor rolls for encourage and reward. Pretty cute!

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: no signatures on posts please per TOS

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
I remember reading an article about a girl-focused engineering toy. Not a bad concept.

Goldie Bloxâ„¢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting