Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
And this is how it should be. You are sadly the minority these days. I get accused of being wacko for even suggesting this... but this is how it will be in my house.
I would suggest that you not even have children because you are creating WAY to much work for yourself.
Anyways most women won't want to be around someone with a need to control everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
You mean keeping televisions and computers out of my kids room will make me a control freak that women wont want to date? On the contrary there are MANY families out there who don't allow that very thing (but they are the minority unfortunately), just because you don't have kids and don't know the reasons for it, doesn't mean you should come here and lecture me young lady.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Yeah, I really fail to see why keeping these devices in a public part of a house constitutes creating more work for the parent, or being a control freak.

Kinda lost there.

Blazah, sounds like you've got your head on straight, at least as far as this matter is concerned...

Just this morning, my 11 year old came into the room and turned on the TV. "The Oblongs" was (were?) on. I don't find that appropriate for my 11 year old...sure he's going to see and hear all kinds of stuff eventually, and I can't shelter him forever. But at this age, he's got no filter. He will go to school and repeat things, when he should not. He will also misinterpret things, take things seriously that he shouldn't, etc. He lacks context for a lot of the adult content. I told him to change the channel, he complied, end of story.

I doubt this is going to lead to him seeking therapy from having an overbearing mother. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- that would be my suggestion. A parent can sit next to the computer and ask the child about the cartoons while he's watching them.
I have the strong desire to shoot myself whenever Anime is on in our living room. I can still here Latios and Latias ... shrieking on the tv, causing nightmares (for me). That said. I am with malamute here. You will know what messages are being received when you see them! See, discuss, interact, engage.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
You mean keeping televisions and computers out of my kids room will make me a control freak that women wont want to date? On the contrary there are MANY families out there who don't allow that very thing (but they are the minority unfortunately), just because you don't have kids and don't know the reasons for it, doesn't mean you should come here and lecture me young lady.
Huh. I agree with you about something. Will wonders never cease!

No tvs in the bedroom here.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
The first thing I would do is move the computer into the main living area where you spend your time that way you can see if he is doing homework and how long he spends watching cartoons.
I'm not sure how old you are but I am 60 and the cartoons I watched for the most part was Looney Tunes, thwatey were not for the faint of heart either. Wiley Coyote was always trying to kill the Road Runner, he especially like trying to
have cliffs involved - dropping boulders off cliffs and running him off cliffs. The 3 Stooges poking each other in the eyes or hitting each other on the head, that was pretty violent stuff too.
I think the big difference is watching tv was a family event when I was a kid but not so today. My parents would add their own commentaries such as "you know that isn't real" and other tidbits to snap you back to reality. People get killed all the time on tv shows but dead isn't dead on tv they are back next week. I can't help but wonder if those very young kids with guns know those kids they just shot won't be back next week.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The OP posted once, way back in 2012.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSaints View Post
...What should I do?
Step 1. YOU look at the cartoons yourself, then you will know. Not difficult.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 548 times
Default cartoons

I guess you can try to google the cartoons online that he is watching If the cartoons are not to worry about then you should let him watch him otherwise you can talk to him about other US cartoons that are much more amazing and there are multiple sites too on the internet from where you can stream them for free.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I know over 50 years ago there were violent cartoons on TV & I never heard anyone worry about it. Kids of all ages watched. We have violent people in the world, probably in nearly every neighborhood. Even violent police officers. What about wars? Many Christians seem to like wars, at least when the other country isn't Christian. Aren't there plenty of violent acts described in the Holy Bible?
It sounds like OP's son is watching Japanese anime. Some of that is a VERY far cry from 1960's cartoons. Google hentai and see how it compares to 50 year old cartoons. No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting