Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,821,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I recall a few to the effect of:

"There isn't that much bad stuff compared to the harmless stuff."
"You should trust your son."
"Just because he watches whatever cartoon doesn't mean it will do him harm."

But yeah...we're at least 99% on the same page with all of this, methinks.
There ISN'T as much violent stuff compared to regular old cartoons. Not nearly. What many people are objecting to is labeling an entire category of animated work as deviant without doing any investigation into what the child is actually viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,942,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Before we put on our internet blocks I would go to google something innocent like "Minnie Mouse" and some of the most stuff would come up - and it was not animated. Even with our blocks I could still get to some mighty graphic real life stuff if I wanted to (I don't. At all.) It would be hard to believe that some of these drawings are more graphic than the real life sites, but I'll take your word for it.

At any rate, it's enough to know that the stuff is out there and that it is so easily found. All the more reason to have an idea as to what sites your kids are going to and what they are viewing on those sites.
That's when you simply going into the search settings and select the highest filter, where it controls what comes up when you search. You can do that straight from google.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,569 times
Hmm

1) Maybe start with the kid. Hey son, what the heck are you watching?
2) seriously, "a lot of kids have" really? thats what your friend say? leading authority of what? stupid quotes? What kids. How did they get in trouble.

I'm thinking of my own rules when kids get old enough to use the computer
1) Kids, its our computer. So I do track everything/every site that is touched. Its logged via the router. You want to use it, stay off of X,Y, and Z

2)No computer in your room. You use it, you do it out in the open

This post reminds me of those post "oh my God, my kid is playing Dungeons and Dragons -is he in league with satan? The media you watch is a reflection of you and your wants, the media does not change you.

Locking down a computer to a 14 year old is a work of futility. unless he has no friends, never goes to the library, and can't look up "Proxy server" online

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSaints View Post
This is my first post but I looked at this forum and it looked like a good place to get help for this.

My son is 14 and a freshman in high school and I'm really starting to get worried about the things that he's getting involved in. I've tried as hard as I can to raise him as a good Christian boy, and even paid for him to go to a private school his first few years to make sure he gets a good moral education, but I could only afford to pay for it the first couple of years because of financial problems.

Recently he started watching these cartoons on the computer that I gave him to do school work on. I think they're in Chinese or something but I was ok with it at first because there's really nothing bad about cartoons. But I talked to one of my friends at church about it and she said that a lot of kids have gotten in trouble because of these kinds of cartoons because they have a ton of sex and violence in them. I talked to my son about it and he said that they don't, but my friend said that they can be really bad.

I want to take the computer away from him but he needs it to do homework too, but I'm worried about the things he could get in to, but I don't want to lose his trust or make him angry with me or anything either. I've talked to him but he insists there's nothing wrong with them.

What should I do?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Hmm

2) seriously, "a lot of kids have" really? thats what your friend say? leading authority of what? stupid quotes? What kids. How did they get in trouble.

1) Kids, its our computer. So I do track everything/every site that is touched. Its logged via the router. You want to use it, stay off of X,Y, and Z

This post reminds me of those post "oh my God, my kid is playing Dungeons and Dragons -is he in league with satan? The media you watch is a reflection of you and your wants, the media does not change you.

Locking down a computer to a 14 year old is a work of futility. unless he has no friends, never goes to the library, and can't look up "Proxy server" online
I had a computer in my room since I was 16, never had an issue.
My brother the same, hes had a computer in his room since 16/17 and never once an issue with it.
He's 18 and I'm 23, he still lives at home and I don't, it's still in his room.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I had a computer in my room since I was 16, never had an issue.
My brother the same, hes had a computer in his room since 16/17 and never once an issue with it.
He's 18 and I'm 23, he still lives at home and I don't, it's still in his room.
You can be doing heroin since you were 4 and never had an issue

Not sure your issue (or lack of issues) matters

You can't monitor whats going on in a locked room (other than the router)

Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,667,554 times
The only advice I would give to the OP is not to listen to what others think. Look for yourself and make your own decision.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM

904 posts, read 1,377,164 times
You cannot be an effective parent unless you're an informed parent. Listening to the hysterical ramblings of someone from church is NOT being informed. Sit and watch with your son. Read about Anime on Wikipedia. then you can make a decision about the appropriateness or lack of appropriateness for your son.

Remember, there are tons of people in churches all over this country who screamed about Harry Potter turning their children to Satanism.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,711,045 times
Can you imagine how happy other parents would be to have a son like yours? Apparently, your
son doesn't do stuff like stay out until 2am, then refuse to tell you wheres he's been.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM

885 posts, read 1,874,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Hmm

if you implement open dns correctly and have your home computers setup the right way, there is no way the kids will be able to circumvent the blocks. Then again it does require a bunch of know how. Where I work the adults are worse than kids and we effectively block them all day long.

OpenDNS + locked down user settings = unstoppable.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
if you implement open dns correctly and have your home computers setup the right way, there is no way the kids will be able to circumvent the blocks. Then again it does require a bunch of know how. Where I work the adults are worse than kids and we effectively block them all day long.

OpenDNS + locked down user settings = unstoppable.
God I'd love to ddos you offline for a week.....
I could too.

Btw, you'll get major kudosif you have the slightest idea of what i am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting