Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,545,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
To those who think the source of a toddler's tantrum is because they are referred to as "princess", I can assure you I never once called my sons princess, yet I still witnessed a few meltdowns at that age. Really people!
While I stated it pretty abruptly and did highlight the word "princess," my comment about the source of the tantrums included the fact that, as far as the OP stated, the child has for the most part only been around mom and dad. So it stands to reason that she is probably pretty used to having her world her way. Who wouldn't?

It will be an issue as she enters a world of shared experiences and shared possessions, like day care.

I stand by my comment about naptime, although I meant "institutional" naptime, not the OP's nor my kids' naptime. If this is a drop-in place, though, they may not have an organized naptime so it may not matter.

I know the OP wants her child to have more experience playing with other children, but a drop-in place may not be the best place to start. It would be better if OP could find a place where there are set times and know the rules of how to behave in such a setting. The drop-in places I've used have really only been like holding cells full of toys, with a TV running in one corner and an adult sitting at a desk nearby. The kids certainly weren't learning anything.

I agree with pegotty that right now a babysitter or perhaps a reputable caregiver who keeps a few children in their home would be a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
While I stated it pretty abruptly and did highlight the word "princess," my comment about the source of the tantrums included the fact that, as far as the OP stated, the child has for the most part only been around mom and dad. So it stands to reason that she is probably pretty used to having her world her way. Who wouldn't?

It will be an issue as she enters a world of shared experiences and shared possessions, like day care.

I stand by my comment about naptime, although I meant "institutional" naptime, not the OP's nor my kids' naptime. If this is a drop-in place, though, they may not have an organized naptime so it may not matter.

I know the OP wants her child to have more experience playing with other children, but a drop-in place may not be the best place to start. It would be better if OP could find a place where there are set times and know the rules of how to behave in such a setting. The drop-in places I've used have really only been like holding cells full of toys, with a TV running in one corner and an adult sitting at a desk nearby. The kids certainly weren't learning anything.

I agree with pegotty that right now a babysitter or perhaps a reputable caregiver who keeps a few children in their home would be a better option.
I usually agree with your posts, and have sent a few reps your way. There are still a lot of kids who never see the inside of a daycare center though. I just think tantrums are the outcome of a child with few other methods of expression, not a reflection of parenting skills (at least during the early years).

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I just think tantrums are the outcome of a child with few other methods of expression, not a reflection of parenting skills (at least during the early years).
Definitely. I guess I am referring more to environment than parenting skills per se.

I am viewing it as a bit of a learned behavior in response to limited exposure to "competitors," i.e. other children, and what must be a mostly favorable environment and positive reinforcement from mom and dad.

Some tantrums happen when a kid has limited problem-solving skills or limited methods of expression, while some are definitely a learned (reinforced) behavior.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,119,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Calling our daughter "princess" is NOT the source of her tantrums, excuse YOU!
LOL! Who is the princess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting