Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

100%

1st priority - driving and seat belts, safe driving

2nd priority - Water. Its deadly

3rd priority - Fire. Matches. Ovens. Anything fire related

4th priority and 5th - climbing and falling, and drinking whats under the sink

Guns are so low on the list. . .Its funny. Its like your worrying about the plane crash, when chances are you will die on the way to the airport.

This is so true. There are approximately 52 accidental shooting deaths of children a year. Most of those are "children" between the ages of 15-19. Often the numbers you see on the news include the number of kids who commit suicide with a gun (approx 1000 a year) and homicides. And many of these "statistics" include "children" up to 24yrs old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I really wonder, where people get these things. I mean I would of never even THOUGHT to make such a statement, without at least asking the question.

Really, Guns are more common today then they were when your kids were playdate years? What year was that 1860?

Gun Ownership a 30 year decline
I, and my children grew up in NJ, where there are strict gun control laws. I didn't realize so many in this country were gun-slingers when I was a kid, and neither did my children. Now we live in GA, and it's a whole 'nother world. Hell yeah, I'd be concerned about playdates here if mine were younger.

I wonder about the link you posted. I know a LOT of people who have run out to purchase guns since this most recent election.

Regardless, the original question was whether or not to inquire about guns in the home before okaying a playdate. I think responsible parents have to do exactly that. You can preach gun safety to a 4 yr old all you want, I wouldn't put my trust in their maturity level to resist.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I, and my children grew up in NJ, where there are strict gun control laws. I didn't realize so many in this country were gun-slingers when I was a kid, and neither did my children. Now we live in GA, and it's a whole 'nother world. Hell yeah, I'd be concerned about playdates here if mine were younger.

I wonder about the link you posted. I know a LOT of people who have run out to purchase guns since this most recent election.

Regardless, the original question was whether or not to inquire about guns in the home before okaying a playdate. I think responsible parents have to do exactly that. You can preach gun safety to a 4 yr old all you want, I wouldn't put my trust in their maturity level to resist.
It isn't hard to get a gun in NJ. You fill out some paperwork and you wait.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
It is much easier in GA:

How to Get a Gun License in New Jersey | eHow.com

Far, far easier to get a gun license than a driver’s license in Georgia | The Moderate Voice

I didn't know anybody with a gun during my 40 years in NJ. In GA, I know few without them.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
But it really could be that people are less vocal about them. Particularly when people hunt they have no qualms about saying they have guns. There are plenty of people in NJ who have guns but don't talk about them.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
The more knowledge kids have about death and guns or other things that can cause death the better chance they have of avoiding a mishap. So they should know how to safely handle guns so that when they are in a friends home they will know if a gun is not being handled correctly.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 PM

236 posts, read 427,251 times
I'm much more concerned with pedophiles than guns

Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Honestly, I wouldn't be leaving a four-year-old with anyone that I didn't know very well. An eight- or nine-year-old is a different story, but you need to know the person watching your preschooler, IMO.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Aw yes, a lot of gun ownership in my neck of the woods. I just tell my son, who's 9, to play outside in the front of their yard. Good exercise and like others have said, people will lie about all kinds of stuff. Why they are ashamed of their gun ownership I don't know, you never hear people lie about having a pool fence. lol But guns are a heated topic, like politics.

Out hear we have all those "end of the world" people who have lots of weapons, not just one. We have pools everywhere, and dogs unleashed. I have worried about all of the above. My son knows now not to pet a dog until he knows it's nice, he can swim a mile and that guns are for killing things not toys.

I don't own a gun, I'm not afraid of a home invasion or getting struck by lighting and I don't think the world is ending. But, it's part of our world, a lot of people do and you should teach your child they aren't toys. You are trusting another persons kid with a gun when you allow them to enter that home. Think about it.

When your child is of age to go play outside without you, keep it out in front of the home. If they need to go into it then yes, I'd ask but, like you see on here not everyone is honest about having guns loaded or not in their home. I tell my son they can just play outside in the front yard. I tell the parents of the other kids that as well. I tell them it's better to get fresh air. They ride scooters or play in the dirt and I have no complaints so far.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be leaving a four-year-old with anyone that I didn't know very well. An eight- or nine-year-old is a different story, but you need to know the person watching your preschooler, IMO.
I agree with this. My son could start going out around the age of 8. 4 or 5 is to young IMO of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting