Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times

Advertisements

I think for me thumb sucking did damage my teeth. I have a marked overbite and my lower teeth have a curb that I believe comes from the pressure of the base of my thumb resting against them. I think genetics can offer protection though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
I have 3 kiddos...

First one started sucking her thumb at around 3 months old. She continued until she began wearing a retainer at 8 years old or so (genetic jaw mis-alignment... NOT anything to do with thumb sucking).

Second one loved his pacifier until he realized he could hold a bottle. He carried / sucked on a bottle until we bit the bullet and took it away at 3 years old.

Third one had a pacifier until she turned 4 (we had weaned it down to sleeping time only).

My preference? Thumb sucking all the way! Nothing to lose, drop on the floor, refill, etc... there is nothing worse than not being able to find a single binky in the house when it's bedtime or waking up to a crying child because she can't find the pacifier that is at her feet in the crib.

None of my kids have had braces (my first wore the retainer for about one year), and they all have nice even teeth (neither my husband or I had braces either - we both have nice even teeth. Adds weight to the heredity idea mentioned by another poster).

I would enjoy the fact that your little one can self-sooth at night and not worry about what may eventually happen because of the thumb sucking.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Out of 5 kids, my youngest brother was the only one of us to suck his thumb. He really struggled to stop and was 10 before he stopped altogether. With all 4 of my children we introduced them to the pacifier while still in the hospital and that worked great. One of my sons was very attached to his "plug" and used it to sleep only until he was 4.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,921 times
They pick this habit up at school or TV from other kids that were raised by wolves. Break them of the habit early or you will have a teen sucking on pacifiers popping Ecstasy pills and sucking on pacifiers at raves.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanhuang02 View Post
They pick this habit up at school or TV from other kids that were raised by wolves. Break them of the habit early or you will have a teen sucking on pacifiers popping Ecstasy pills and sucking on pacifiers at raves.
Yes, no doubt the 5 month old picked it up at school or from watching TV. She's probably already tweeting her friends about breaking out of the crib, exchanging her Pampers for thongs and hitting the clubs with her fake ID.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thumb sucking is perfectly normal, and a great way for a child to self-soothe. Most children break the habit on their own between the ages of 2 and 4.

http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceA...patient_77.pdf
Totally agree. Leave the kid alone. She sucks her thumb to give herself comfort. This is normal.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanhuang02 View Post
I have to assume this is a joke.

Anyway, OP, I agree with everyone who says it is normal, be glad she can soothe herself, and leave her alone.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I remember asking my mother if i ever sucked my thumb.

She said: No!! you never kept your mouth shut long enough...

LOl

Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I agree it's normal, my daughter was sucking on two fingers in an ultrasound at 4 months, after birth she preferred those same two fingers over the thumb but gradually quit.

I can't see worrying about what an infant does after he or she is born that he or she did long before the birth.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
my wife is an OT, and we've got an 8 month old. Her favorite saying about why she prefers sucking a paficifier, instead of a thumb is that it's much easier to take the pacifier away. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with either, but just like there are issues (supposed or real) with thumb sucking, our boy reaches for his pacifier all the time, which can be a bit of a pain, since we do try not to have it in his mouth all the time during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting