Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times

Advertisements

Give him a book full of advanced math problems. Trig, calculus geometry. Tell him that when he can get all the answers correct he is then at the begining of knowing anything about math.

I have had to deal with many kids like him in my life. My method of dealing with them is to make them understand they really know NOTHING in a relative sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Why are you getting so MAD (not merely annoyed) by a 9 y.o.? Are you young or impatient with kids? I know many know-it-all kids.

Some ideas:

Get in/out of house quickly
Ignore kid
Tell kid you have a migraine and can't talk
Tell kid you need "alone time" to concentrate on work and he should not follow you/peer over your PC
Tell the kid in a curt, monotone voice that he is much smarter than you when he gives suggestions. (I don't think you should ask "Why ?'s" which will further engage him).

I also like the above poster's response about giving him math problems, though I wouldn't antagonize him about not knowing math. I'd just say something like, "I need to solve these differential equations. You're so smart, so is there anyway you can complete these?" Hopefully he will go quietly into a corner to work on the problems for an hour.

So.... Do not engage him, do not challenge/antagonize him, redirect his behavior to another activity. And, stop letting some little kid get under your skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting