Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Yes. My extreme right wing fundamentalist Christian relatives gave my son a book from that perspective and did the same several years later with my daughter.

Those are inappropriate gifts. They know our beliefs. It was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah..I'm pretty picky.
But he has no idea right now...he's 1. I can remove things I don't want him to have with no muss or fuss.
Right now the issue (and a blessing, I know) is that he has way too much stuff.
People shower him with presents and clothes constantly. I honestly had nothing to get him for birthday or xmas. But I get that is a blessing.
The fight we'll have is when he gets older. I don't want him to be superficial, materialistic, or entitled. With a granddad who worships the ground he walks on and the other granddad asking if he needs an ipad for xmas (his own, so he doesn't play with ours - the answer was NO, he is ONE), this is going to be a tough road to hoe. Again, blessing, too.
We're going to learn a lot about donation.
LOL that sounds like our situation too! I mean I'm not complaining, this kid's really blessed to be showered with so much attention - he's the first grandchild on both sides and has doting grandparents and an aunt; my MIL especially buys tons of stuff to make up for the fact that she can't spend as much physical time with him as my parents, and she was saying similar things about him needing his own laptop/ipad - he's 3! and we already spend way too much time trying to get him away from techy stuff and out to play and run around.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
one thing that bothers me is people giving a toddler food as presents without asking parents if it's okay first - like candy, especially the artificially flavored and colored crap that I don't think anyone should be eating, or hard candy for a child under 3 that he could choke on. Thankfully everyone in my family knows better but I've had a friend give a bag of horrible dollar-store candy for DS who was two at the time, thankfully she gave it to me to give to him, so I thanked her and promptly threw it out once I got home.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I hated when relatives would give my sons stuffed animals. ugh, just hated that.......

just how many stuffed animals does one child need....and have 3.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never minded since I didn't have to let my kids have anything I didn't want them to have. The only time it ever came up was BEFORE my first was born. People at work wanted to pitch in and get something for the baby and someone came up with the idea of one of those big bouncing horses on springs (this is going back 20+ years...don't know if they still exist) and I told them to please not do that since my house and my childs future room were really small and big items really didn't have a place. They got me a carseat instead .

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Normally the sky is the limit with me. The issue I have with this is when the parents do express a wish (my oldest is on the autism spectrum and, having seen some of the other children at the pediatric center with hopeless video game addictions, I didn't want him to have any games) and people like my in-laws go against the wishes, especially in an older child where the gift will set up a power struggle (it's easy to hide something away from a littler one). So I ended up being the "bad guy" of course, setting timers every time my son would play so that he wouldn't get hooked. However, I was successful and today he is a non-video-game-addicted adult

Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I didn't think I cared, but this year my sister gave my 10 year old thigh highs with ruffles at the top, a sequined cocktail dress, and high heeled boots.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. My extreme right wing fundamentalist Christian relatives gave my son a book from that perspective and did the same several years later with my daughter.

Those are inappropriate gifts. They know our beliefs. It was wrong.
Yikes, this would irk me too!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
I never really care, we are grateful for what they receive, however, if someone asks for a list or suggestions , why not go w/the suggestions rather than get something completely not your child or just ridiculous.
Case & point... SIL asks for ideas, I said " books, ( gave her titles & authors for ease), craft projects or leggos. My youngest got none of this & instead, received a stuffed dog that barks "jingle bells".
Fun for the 1st 1/2 hour & that's about it....

Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
So far it hasn't been an issue, but DH's sister has been gifting us with her daughter's former pageant clothing. Not a fan. At all.

And MIL is super into dolls/dollhouses. Not my thing at all. But if DD ends up loving them, then that can be their special (stupid, lol) thing to share with each other.

As long as things aren't overtly sexual, violent or hazardous, I'm ok with it. So far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting