Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM

448 posts, read 685,209 times

Advertisements

I've had a few calls and text asking me do I mind if they get this or that for my son.

I only have 1 rule. No playdoh or paint. Unless you plan on offering to have my carpet cleaned during the year.

Other then that, its your money. Feel free to get him whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
People can get my kids whatever they want, it is my job as their parent to decide, if, when, and how they get to play with whatever they receive.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Yes. If it had to be fed it was verboten.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I've had a few calls and text asking me do I mind if they get this or that for my son.

I only have 1 rule. No playdoh or paint. Unless you plan on offering to have my carpet cleaned during the year.

Other then that, its your money. Feel free to get him whatever you want.
haha, reminds me of when I bought a HUUUGE deluxe kiddy makeup kit with lots of glitter, paints and other "fun" stuff for twins across the street who were 7 or 8? I think. This was before we had our own kids. The kids were estatic with their gift and prompty ran off with the "best gift ever." Several months later I saw a carpet cleaning service at the neighbor's house. She made some fairly nasty comments to me about kiddie makeup kits not going too well with light colored carpet. I was a bit embarrassed after that!

Since then, I've become a better gift buyer.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. If it had to be fed it was verboten.
I take it back, anything but pets is ok.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I take it back, anything but pets is ok.
Yeah, I agree with you on this one. We got two gold fish at a birthday party quite a few years ago. One fish prompty died the next day but the remaining one lasted a few years. I wasn't too happy. My son still remembers his fish dying to this day. We are a pet family with dog and 19 year old cat but other folks giving them, no thanks.

My friend's kids got a pair guinea pigs from a well meaning neighbor. She also was not happy, lol.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Yeah..I'm pretty picky.
But he has no idea right now...he's 1. I can remove things I don't want him to have with no muss or fuss.
Right now the issue (and a blessing, I know) is that he has way too much stuff.
People shower him with presents and clothes constantly. I honestly had nothing to get him for birthday or xmas. But I get that is a blessing.
The fight we'll have is when he gets older. I don't want him to be superficial, materialistic, or entitled. With a granddad who worships the ground he walks on and the other granddad asking if he needs an ipad for xmas (his own, so he doesn't play with ours - the answer was NO, he is ONE), this is going to be a tough road to hoe. Again, blessing, too.
We're going to learn a lot about donation.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I never really cared until my father-n-law married a woman that was crazy. She would buy my son stuff that was way too old for him and some of it was dangerous. Like a 100 pack of green army men for a 1 yr old. Nothing like choking to death. The weird part is when he got older, then she bought him gifts a 1 yr old should get. Was never really a fan of loud toys. He got a firetruck one year that was deafening. One day it broke and wouldn't shut off. I finally grabbed it and threw it out the backdoor onto the driveway, smashing it to bits. It was evil, it kept going. lol.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:05 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I never really cared until my father-n-law married a woman that was crazy. She would buy my son stuff that was way too old for him and some of it was dangerous. Like a 100 pack of green army men for a 1 yr old. Nothing like choking to death. The weird part is when he got older, then she bought him gifts a 1 yr old should get. Was never really a fan of loud toys. He got a firetruck one year that was deafening. One day it broke and wouldn't shut off. I finally grabbed it and threw it out the backdoor onto the driveway, smashing it to bits. It was evil, it kept going. lol.
Ha! Apparently my Toonyville Choo Choo met a similar fate, according to my dad.

To the OP, as others have said, the only no-no is anything alive.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
Do I care? Yes. Will I take it away from them? No, unless it is hugely appropriate.

For his first birthday, my boy got a tricycle- he slobbered all over it, then we put it away for a year and a half. For her first Christmas, my girl got a shopping cart with a ton of tiny cardboard "food". I let her play with the larger parts (which got lost quickly), the smaller parts were a choking hazzard. I am not fond of Barbie (unrealistic body), but if it gets given to my kid, then fine, they can have it. On the other hand if they were given an inappropriate outfit (such as very short skirt for my oldest, almost 5), or a violent video game then no, I would thank the giver but tell them it was not appropriate for our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting