Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I'm not 8 - 12 years old and I've worked for every dollar I spent to buy this computer. 3 jobs where I work almost 16 hours a day yearly vs. a kid who doesn't even make his or her bed.
But you are attributing this to all parents/children. Even those you don't know. Not every family has the same dynamics as yours. Try a less broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I'm not 8 - 12 years old and I've worked for every dollar I spent to buy this computer. 3 jobs where I work almost 16 hours a day yearly vs. a kid who doesn't even make his or her bed.
A hard worker. Good for you.

So why can you buy your toys but a parent (who may also be working 3 jobs and 16 hours a day) can't make the decision on what to buy for their kids without the condemnation? It makes no sense. Neither does the claim that kids aren't making their beds. You're checking those things?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A hard worker. Good for you.

So why can you buy your toys but a parent (who may also be working 3 jobs and 16 hours a day) can't make the decision on what to buy for their kids without the condemnation? It makes no sense. Neither does the claim that kids aren't making their beds. You're checking those things?
Because I'm an adult and work for my money. I carefully consider my purchases, rather than just asking for santa to bring them to me (even when the kid knows there's no santa) and a 1000+ dollar thing shows up. I'm really done. Some people in this thread get it, some dont. I will say that I'm typing this post from a place that would be considered the 1%, but the people here do not just buy something for kids because they can afford it. Truth is they can afford almost anything, but they are like me, they want their kids to value the dollar, earn things rather than just "have it because they can afford it". There really is something wrong with that line of thought, but I can't really teach it here.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I'm really done. Some people in this thread get it, some dont.
Pity, lol. I had a TON more questions/challenges. I guess they'll have to wait for the next time you bring this up.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
...... There really is something wrong with that line of thought, but I can't really teach it here.
Why do you feel the need to "teach" people who you don't know about situations you are not privvy to? Every family is different.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
There really is something wrong with that line of thought, but I can't really teach it here.
You don't need to "teach" it; people already understand what you're saying. Not everyone agrees with it, but that doesn't make them (or you) wrong. Differences of opinion are a part of life -- no need for angst.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Because I'm an adult and work for my money. I carefully consider my purchases, rather than just asking for santa to bring them to me (even when the kid knows there's no santa) and a 1000+ dollar thing shows up. I'm really done. Some people in this thread get it, some dont. I will say that I'm typing this post from a place that would be considered the 1%, but the people here do not just buy something for kids because they can afford it. Truth is they can afford almost anything, but they are like me, they want their kids to value the dollar, earn things rather than just "have it because they can afford it". There really is something wrong with that line of thought, but I can't really teach it here.
What are you trying to teach us? Do you honestly think that people don't think about their purchases?

Over the past year we have purchased three laptops. One was for me. I got the MacBook Air that I wanted.

The second was for child number 1. He was turning 18 was going to college and we wanted to get him a new laptop to take to college. He was given a budget and chose what he wanted.

The third was for child number 2. He had an old laptop that was falling apart and we told him he could either have a big party when he turned 16 or we would buy him a laptop. He chose the laptop with some input from my husband.

We have money and we spend some of that money on our children. That does not make us mindless or materialistic. It does not mean that our children never learn the value of a dollar. It just means that we do not think that our kids need to be denied any extras just because they are children.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-28-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:

But the parents who buy the tech devices for their kids have (usually) also worked hard for their paychecks, too. And regardless, it is their money. Why shouldn't they be able to spend their own money and provide for their own families as they see fit?

Why is it any of your business what these people give to their kids? And who are you to decide who is/is not "worthy" enough to own any given tech device?

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people poking their nose into your business and analyzing your own personal financial decisions like that...

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Here's what I see in the world. Parents who are thinking they are doing the right thing by giving it to them, but they do not possess the understanding of what they are giving to their kids. It's access to everything, all knowledge, all people, all social circles. Would these parents let their kids hang out at the highschool in the back where people are smoking cigs? Well, by letting them explore social media, it's just the same (UNLESS there's heavy monitoring which most parents don't do).
Even though I disagreed with it I have respected that you have your own opinion and nothing is going to change it.....until now.

That is probably the most alarmist attitude I have ever seen. Giving a kid an iPad is akin to letting them hang out with the smokers???

I cant even take you seriously anymore.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Here's the thing I think you're missing though. A computer or laptop is not just a toy. People make serious livings doing serious stuff using computers only. There are some artistic genres which use Macs and Apple owned software exclusively. I'm not saying that kids are only using it as a career building tool - but computers are not just playthings and it's important that we don't equate them with fun and games exclusively.

Kids don't start off reading heavy technical texts when they learn to read - they learn using fun books that interest them, so they can decipher the heavy stuff later. If you don't see the value in kids' exploring the computer as a fun thing first on their way to using them as a professional tool then there's not much point in a discussion.

You might as well ban all books because if they read Dick And Jane in first grade then they're on the slippery slope to reading Dick Does Jane (and seeing the movie version) when they're 13.

It just so happens that tech costs money, but then so does everything. A bit of perspective either side does wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting